Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 PC host a game doesnt work?

Hello all,

I am trying to host a game, so that my friend can jump on and we can get a quick match. (not dedicated)

My friend keeps getting connection failed. I was getting that the router may be incompatible error in UT3...

Where I am at a loss is I set up the PC as the DMZ on my router, but my friend still cannot connect. I was not getting the router error after doing DMZ, but the connection still failed. Oddly after a restarted I was again getting the router error - (even though it is still DMZ)

I have never seen a game so difficult to setup for hosting a quick game?!?

I have an actiontec mi-424-wr (fios) running on Vista64 and UT is patched to 1.2.

I can join other net games just fine etc. as well as my friend. I know it must be an issue with the router, but I thought setting it up as a DMZ would skip all these issues? Any advice would be great.

Setting your PC as the "DMZ" target only fixes one of the issues (unsolicited access to game port) that Epic check for. The second (outgoing port remapping) is not affected by DMZ setting but rather depend on the firmware of your router.

It is also a pointless check that does nothing but cause problems.

Comment

So there is a chance that it will not work at all because of my router? What port remap is this? Is this horrible programming by epic or am i crazy? I shouldn't have to worry whether or not it works with my routers firware

I found this FAQ on the other UT3 forum that says:
      UT3 supports "Full cone NAT" routers only.

How do I know if my router does this? I am looking at the manual, but do not see anything related to it. grrr this is so frustrating..

Comment

Originally posted by cisco0623 View Post
        So there is a chance that it will not work at all because of my router? What port remap is this? Is this horrible programming by epic or am i crazy? I shouldn't have to worry whether or not it works with my routers firware
        There is a good chance it won't work, yes. The remapping occurs in many routers as a way to allow multiple clients inside the router access the same destination IP and port. Google for "PAT" or "port address translation" to learn more gory details.

And yes, it is horribel programming as this particular test is completely irrelevant to hosting ability.

I found this FAQ on the other UT3 forum that says:
        UT3 supports "Full cone NAT" routers only.

How do I know if my router does this? I am looking at the manual, but do not see anything related to it. grrr this is so frustrating..
        The "Full Cone" part refers to how the router handles incoming unsolicited connections. Routers usually operate in "Restricted Cone" or "Port Restricted Cone" mode but forwarding a port causes that port to assume "Full Cone" characteristics (DMZ is an extremely sloppy version of this, it simply forwards any port to a specific IP). In short, your router does support full cone behaviour if you have forwarded or DMZed the ports correctly.

This problem is a new version of an old problem that appeared in UT2k3 (and remained unfixed through UT2k4) and there is quite a bit posted about it in both the old Atari forums, the UT2k* admin section and here. If you are interested in details or background I would refer to these posts.

Comment

wow.

Does anyone know or had any luck hosting a game off of Verizon Fios' actionet router?

I will be really disappointed if I can't do this. I'm would guess worst case - setting up the pc as the DMZ should allow me to host without issues, but nope!

Every other game I have works without issue. Epic really dropped the ball on this. I never had a problem hosting a game in past unreal games.

Comment

I never had a problem hosting a game in past unreal games.
            If you could host UT2k* and have players connect succesfully through the Internet server browser using the same router you should not have any problem with port remapping.

Comment

No, I def do not have the same router. I tried with my Linksys wrtp54g, and my new actiontec mi424wr fios router. Same issues =( I forwarded all relevant ports to the pc via portforwarding.coms intructions, but still get the error.

Comment

hi all
                this worked for me back in ut and now works in ut3:
                open all the ports needed, go find the "UTWeb.ini" in your "Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config" dir
                open it and at the end of [UWeb.WebServer] set bEnable=True and add a line: ServerName=xx.xx.xx.xx
                changing the "xx.xx.xx.xx" to whatever your external ip is....
                go exe the game, set multiplayer>host... run it or dedicate
                the game port should be 7777 unless u change that in UTEngine.ini
                so the ip would look like xx.xx.xx.xx:7777
                hf

Comment

riki,

I have forwarded the ports, and did what you said - same issue. I still get the DMZ error and no-one can connect. I might try calling epic tonight and getting some help on this.

Comment

I've tried everything in this thread and several other "fixes," and at no point have any of my friends and I been able to host any of our own games.

Why am I being told I'm not allowed to play the game I bought?

Never had this problem with any former Unreal version. I'm sorely disappointed in Epic this time around.

Comment

Yes, I got mine working. I tried everything (everything = excessive port forwards, DMZ, running a loopback stunserver) a few months ago. The final fix was found here:
                      http://mikearthur.co.uk/2008/01/ut3-v11-nat-fix/
                      works for v1.2 as well.

When I did that instead of writing in my own IP address at the StunServerAddress= line I could finally host again.

wow.

Does anyone know or had any luck hosting a game off of Verizon Fios' actionet router?

I will be really disappointed if I can't do this. I'm would guess worst case - setting up the pc as the DMZ should allow me to host without issues, but nope!

Every other game I have works without issue. Epic really dropped the ball on this. I never had a problem hosting a game in past unreal games.

Comment

I tried this and while it did get rid of the dmz error in UT3, my friends still cannot connect. This is unreal alright. I cannot believe how bad this is.

Comment

Bro i got it to work i will post it later today under this thread:
                          http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612389

Just want to add that i left it running try and find it:
                          D]ii[Clan UT3 Server

Comment

Working...
                          X