Custom maps downloading very very slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom maps downloading very very slow?

Are there any methods to allow for faster downloads of custom maps? I want to add custom maps to my server, but they take forever to download no one is going to want to join the server?

There are two ways. Either add -lanplay to your server commandline or setup a redirect (there are plenty of posts detailing how to do it here). Beware that as tempting as it may be, due to its simplicity, the -lanplay option will probably wreak havoc on the connecting players gameplay quality unless both your server and connection are very capable.
    As its name suggests, it is meant for LANs. Don't use it if you're on a ADSL or cable connection.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe View Post
      There are two ways. Either add -lanplay to your server commandline or setup a redirect (there are plenty of posts detailing how to do it here). Beware that as tempting as it may be, due to its simplicity, the -lanplay option will probably wreak havoc on the connecting players gameplay quality unless both your server and connection are very capable.
      As its name suggests, it is meant for LANs. Don't use it if you're on a ADSL or cable connection.
      Thanx NakedApe been looking forever for a simple and effective way to host custommaps on lans.

Comment

Ok, I finally figured out the problem. If anyone is renting from gameserver, continue reading this may fix your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Custom maps go on a dedicated server like this:

ut3/UTGame/Published/CookedPC/CustomMaps

In the UTEngine I have this :

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
        AllowDownloads=True
        ConnectionTimeout=30.0
        InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
        AckTimeout=1.0
        KeepAliveTime=0.2
        MaxClientRate=150000
        MaxInternetClientRate=100000
        RelevantTimeout=5.0
        SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
        ServerTravelPause=4.0
        NetServerMaxTickRate=30
        LanServerMaxTickRate=35
        DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
        DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
        NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection
        IdleServerTickRate=30

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
        RedirectToURL=http://www.xxxxx.clanservers.com/ut3/
        ProxyServerHost=
        ProxyServerPort=3128
        UseCompression=False

Here is the problem I encountered. I had all this information updated correctly on gameservers member area under Config and then advanced view. I copied and pasted this in. I was still getting painfully slow downloads (2 minutes just to get 4% on a 25mb map) as if it wasn't even redirecting. The problem was that is wasn't. You also have to add these lines using smartftp or internet explorer ftp, see guide on gameservers.com. After checking my UTengine.ini files on smartftp, they did not include all these lines with redirect info, even though it shows up in you config on gameserver.com members area. After, I pasted these lines in FTP I can now download custom maps in less than a minute. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

"You also have to add these lines using smartftp or internet explorer ftp, see guide on gameservers.com. After checking my UTengine.ini files on smartftp, they did not include all these lines with redirect info, even though it shows up in you config on gameserver.com members area. After, I pasted these lines in FTP I can now download custom maps in less than a minute. Hope this helps someone."

-- I am sorry, I am a total noob, but what do you mean by use smartFTP or IE FTP to add the lines?

Do you mean update the ini file on you home pc and then use an FTP program to upload them to the server?

Or do you mean use some sort of program that allows to you read and edit the ini file on the game server directly without having to download it to you home pc, edit and then re-upload?

Comment

Originally posted by drjacobs View Post
            Ok, I finally figured out the problem. If anyone is renting from gameserver, continue reading this may fix your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the problem I encountered. I had all this information updated correctly on gameservers member area under Config and then advanced view. I copied and pasted this in. I was still getting painfully slow downloads (2 minutes just to get 4% on a 25mb map) as if it wasn't even redirecting. The problem was that is wasn't. You also have to add these lines using smartftp or internet explorer ftp, see guide on gameservers.com. After checking my UTengine.ini files on smartftp, they did not include all these lines with redirect info, even though it shows up in you config on gameserver.com members area. After, I pasted these lines in FTP I can now download custom maps in less than a minute. Hope this helps someone.
            Humm,.. Let me give this a try. I am now going to put what I had in the advance tab into the UTgame.INI and see if I get a way quicker redirect speed on the big map downloads.

Comment

smartftp is a free program to download, and highly recommend it. You can download it here:

http://www.smartftp.com/download/

If you have a gameserver account there is a guide to show you how to use it. You just put in your ftp url and then you will see all your UT3 folders for the server. All edits you do here are for the server. This is where you would put all custom maps so they show up on the server too. However, you need to add a redirect if you want to get fast downloads or else players will just download from the server which will slow everyone up.

Comment

Working...
              X