Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packet Loss (Linux Dedicated)

Hello,

i'm still getting packet loss with patch 1.2 applied (linux dedicated server).
    This happens after a few map changes and nearly all slots on the server filled.

`stat net` in client console shows "Out Loss" 5-79. Results are huge lags.

If i enable only one map and set timelimit and goals to a very high number, there are no lags at all - even if the server is full over a long time. So it has nothing to do with the servers hardware or its connection.

Commandline:
    ./ut3 server vCTF-Suspense?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Conte nt?GameMode=3?Mutators=UTGame.UTMutator_WeaponRepl acement?minnetplayers=1?maxplayers=20?PureServer=1 ?timelimit=30?goalscore=6?AdminPassword=<PASSWORD> ?bPlayersMustBeReady=False?bAllowJoinInProgress=Tr ue?bAllowInvites=True?forcerespawn=0?bIsLanMatch=F alse?bIsDedicated=True?bShouldAdvertise=True -login=<LOGIN> -password=<PW> -nohomedir -log=MyServerLog.txt -multihome=<IP> -unattended

Serverspecs:
    Dual Xeon 2,8 GHZ
    4 GB ECC RAM
    (ut3-bin is the only cpu-eating task)

Does anybody still have the same problems or did you fix it with a special parameter?
    If you have a working commandline which doesn't seem to have this bug please post it, too.

is the server yours or is it rented?

Comment

It's our own hardware.
      I tested it also at another server. P4 3,2 GHZ, 2 GB RAM. Completely new setup, same problem. So it has nothing to do with the servers hardware!

And: it's a 100 Mbit/s FD connection. I also tried a completely else location with a different carrier. Believe me, it is a bug in the software.

Comment

You didn't by chance try a windows server did you? I run a Linux box and noticed that when we had 12+ players things started warping around the other day... maybe I had the same thing you do. We could not enter/exit vehicles and players would run a bit and then warp back to where they came from.

I'll have to test and see what happens again with that player load.

Comment

I did a test with windows. But it was in a virtual machine (vmware). I didn't see this bug there. however i could not run it with 20 players on it - that was too much for the vm. But 16 players were no problem at all.

BTW: I asked at icculus mailing list for this problem and several other people have the same problem with the linux bin. Somebody of them told me, he has no problems with the windows bin.

Comment

hmmmm well that sucks the big one.

Maybe I'll switch over to windows and if that fails a different game altogether. Which would be a shame because I like UT3, but it has to have the ability to run well server-wise because people will fire the game up and play it on instant action or the awesome SP for a few weeks and then say "this looks pretty, but its so **** boring" and go to a more "interactive" game that "real people" play.

Comment

Originally posted by CVROY View Post
              hmmmm well that sucks the big one, (WAKE UP EPIC!!! If you're working on this it would be great if we knew).

Maybe I'll switch over to windows and if that fails a different game altogether. Which would be a shame because I like UT3, but it has to have the ability to run well server-wise because people will fire the game up and play it on instant action or the awesome SP for a few weeks and then say "this looks pretty, but its so **** boring" and go to a more "interactive" game that "real people" play.

Yeah, agreed completely. I like the game, it looks great if you use the correct hardware. I have exactly same probs with Debian and my dedicated server. I set the tickrate, reduced the amount of bots and maxplayers. Sometimes it raises the ping (a little) and I recognized packetlosses /in-out. Then I have to restart the server. (Same as you posted above)

Probably it seems too late, if I see only few players online gaming. -> less active community. I hope the best....

Comment

Any news/comments on this topic?

Think the LINUX community often has this Lag/ In / out losses after some maps played (same load and same whatever)

Comment

I have ended up going over to a Windows 2k3 Server for running this after getting the bug of packet loss. Its a shame but will be able to see if it is linux related

Comment

Please post your results, if windows runs fine, I'm switching over too. I almost did this weekend but I got too busy... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Comment

Originally posted by mandelbug View Post
                      I have ended up going over to a Windows 2k3 Server for running this after getting the bug of packet loss. Its a shame but will be able to see if it is linux related

What are your findings, any good news mandelbug?

Comment

Server is a lot more reliable running Windows rather than Linux. Its not needed a restart since I built it early this week. Same box etc just not getting the packet loss. Will continue to monitor it. It has stuttered a couple of times but its nothing like the Linux box where it would just give up for seconds at a time.

At no point (windows or linux) does the utilisation of the server go above 25% so I know that the fault isnt hardware related. I have only really played UT3 today since rebuilding it but it wasnt a fair test as our leased line was getting hammered so we had limited bandwidth to the game server on the SDSL line

Comment

sweet, glad it's better for you. I'll bug you in a few more days and if you have good things to report I'll be switching as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mandelbug View Post
                            Server is a lot more reliable running Windows rather than Linux.
                            Would you still say this is true? How's the server been running?

Comment

CVROY, can you post the result of the following commands here?

uname -a
                              sysctl -a | grep net
                              ifconfig

Don't worry, the results of this command not cause any security problems for you... I suggest that the result of "ifconfig" be the Ipaddress omitted...

This command shows the kernel parameters for your linux box... maybe I could to help you (or help Epic) with this...

Comment

Working...
                              X