Custom Map help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Map help.

I'm trying to add custom maps to my game server. I've uploaded the map file to UT3SERVER\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

I've also uploaded the files to the redirect server.

I've added the following to the UTEngine.ini file

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://mydomain.com/
    UseCompression=False

When I go into the game and vote for the map it hangs at downloading. It does not actually download it just says downloading at the bottom of the screen. I've let it sit for up to 10 minutes thinking it might be downloading just not giving me the status information.

What might the problem be?

I can only think to have downloads set to:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False

(in the engine.ini)

Otherwise your redirect may be reverting back to the gameserver sending your file unsuccessfully.

GL

(P.S. perhaps compressing your redirect files will help with dl time as well)

Comment

thanks for the input.

I finally decided to try this with a different map and it was successful. I set
      allowdownloads=false then added map files to both dedicated server and redirect server. I was getting the "Connection Failed Error Opening File" screen. I then added the ini and upk. files to both the dedicated and redirect servers.

WooHoo! It worked!!

But it was real slow. As I was trying to do this one small step at a time to eliminate possible errors I did not compress the UT3 file. Of course I compressed the files and made the necessary changes, it definitely made a difference.

I thought I had it fixed. So I proceed to upload another map. But nothing. So I tried another and no go. The ThornsClassic map is the only one out of 5 map that I have had success with.

Am I missing something? Is it usual to not have this number of maps actually work? What format do you upload in? Ascii or Binary? Will that make a difference?

Here are my settings

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
      AllowDownloads=False
      ConnectionTimeout=60.000000
      InitialConnectTimeout=60.000000
      AckTimeout=1.0
      KeepAliveTime=0.2
      MaxClientRate=15000
      MaxInternetClientRate=10000
      RelevantTimeout=5.0
      SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
      ServerTravelPause=4.0
      NetServerMaxTickRate=30
      LanServerMaxTickRate=35
      DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
      DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
      NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection
      IdleServerTickRate=30

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
      RedirectToURL=http://missliz.net/UT3/
      UseCompression=True

I've uploaded the UZ3, UPK & INI to both my dedicated server @ myUT3server/ut3/UTGame/Published/CookedPC/CustomMaps
      and my redirect server @ "redirect.com"/UT3

I added the maps in the game.ini so they show up in the VOTE, which they do. However when selected they sit connecting but I get no error and no download. The only one that has worked is ThornsClassic. This leads me to believe it is an error in uploading or the actual map.

Comment

Since you have UseCompression=True, you must compress them into uz3 format. Search the forum for UT3 Compress and compress all your maps into uz3. It should work fine then. Post back if it doesn't or if you have problems figuring out UT3Compress.

Also, it is only necessary to upload the .u map file compressed to the custom map folder on the server.

Comment

**UPDATE**

after much trial and error. It seems that some maps just won't work for me. I have been able to get the maps (not compressed) to work on both the game server and the redirect server. The downloads are slow even off the download server.

I can not get any maps to work if they are compressed. I have set compression=True but the maps still will not download, from either server. I do not get an error most of the time, it just hangs at Downloading...

Compressed files should download fine from the game server shouldn't they?

Comment

Normally you don't use your gaming server as a redirect tileman. I can't say it will work or not work because I've never done it. If you are trying that, you are probably going to create significant lag for anyone on the server, during the period that someone or several peeps are trying to download a map. That is why you redirect those needing a map to another website, so it won't interfere with your gaming server.

Have you tried to use your own website for redirect or a comercial redirect server yet?

Comment

I apologize for the confusion,

I am not using the game server as a redirect.

I have a personal server that is separate from my gaming server, both are rented from different companies.

gaming server is from GameServers
              personal server from AmHosting

I tried testing the map from just the game server to help eliminate possible problems with the redirect server.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I set "AllowDownloads=False" that means the Custom maps can ONLY be downloaded from the redirect server and not the game server. If I set it to "AllowDownloads=True" then the Custom maps CAN be downloaded from the game server if they can not be found on the redirect server.

With these setting (below) and using NON compressed maps (ut3 files) the maps will work but run slow.

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
              AllowDownloads=False
              AckTimeout=1.0
              KeepAliveTime=0.2
              MaxClientRate=15000
              RelevantTimeout=5.0
              SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
              ServerTravelPause=4.0
              NetServerMaxTickRate=30
              LanServerMaxTickRate=35
              IdleServerTickRate=30

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
              RedirectToURL=http://myredirectsite/UT3/
              UseCompression=False
              ProxyServerPort=
              ProxyServerHost=

If I change:

AllowDownloads=False
              to
              AllowDownloads=True

It works but is slow. Still using NON compressed map files

With it set to

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
              AllowDownloads=False
              AckTimeout=1.0
              KeepAliveTime=0.2
              MaxClientRate=15000
              RelevantTimeout=5.0
              SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
              ServerTravelPause=4.0
              NetServerMaxTickRate=30
              LanServerMaxTickRate=35
              IdleServerTickRate=30

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
              RedirectToURL=http://myredirectsite/UT3/
              UseCompression=True
              ProxyServerPort=
              ProxyServerHost=

Using Compressed files (uz3) it will not work.

If I change:

AllowDownloads=False
              to
              AllowDownloads=True

It will not work. With these settings I get no error it just hangs at downloading...

Comment

First off, Allow Downloads should = FALSE - you don't want your server downloading huge maps.

Second, as for the Redirect. Use Compression should = True

You must compress the file into uz3 format (just the .u map file)

Upload the uz3 map file to your Redirect Server.

The redirect, which can be your personal website has to be fast. I dunno who you use, or how much space or bandwidth you have, so that could be a problem.

You also have to add the map to your game ini, you are doing that, correct?

If you are familiar with irc, you can connect to my channel at irc.gameradius.net - Channel #War-Mongers

I would be more than happy to work this out with you there.

Comment

If you want to upload custom content from your server home files and or the redirect website allow downloads must be set to True.

If your custom content is not compressed then use compression should be set to False.

If your custom content is compressed and on the website redirect then use compression should be set to True.

If you set allow downloads to False then you will not get files to the clients at all. If set to True and you have a proper redirect working url the server will automatically look to the redirect for the files to send first. If the server does not find the file then it will by default look to your home files as a backup for the map or mutator files to push ect.

Its pretty simple your redirect either has uz compressed files or it does not and for the most part cooked content compressed is really not much different then uncompressed cooked content.

I use gameservers redirect which only accepts compressed content now and I have allow downloads set to true and use compression set to true and I have the redirect url address for gameservers added.

If for some reason gameservers goes down my server will by default notice this and resort back to my home files and send the file uncompressed to the client from my home files as a fail safe.

There is really no resaon to set allow downloads to false unless you have a closed custom content server that you are worried about bandwidth on and you assume all the clients have manually downloaded the custom content being used.

Comment

Please note tileman that if you set Allow Downloads to true, the server pushes the .u map file on the server if redirect is not found. You "do not" want to have uz3 compressed files on the server.

Comment

Hi guys I got it working after a little time
                      I got all my redirects compressed and working and have them at defconservers.com just only the speed is still not there like some servers I join in and get maps from.

Any settings or maybe a diff server? to host the maps.

Thanks for all the help.

If you want to test my server its under Quad-Deaths CTF Custom map FUN.
                      try to join in see how it runs.

Comment

Working...
                      X