Windows Server 2008 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    While this isn't directly Unreal related, there's a great site all about converting Windows Server 2008 into a "super-workstation OS" here. People are posting their findings regarding game compatibility too. I'd suggest checking it out, since you can essentially have a Vista machine without all the Vista bloat and resource overhead. Here's a screenshot of my desktop in full Vista regalia:

Serve/frag on guys!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Servers have had no issues since I launched them!! ALL other programs also working on Window servers 2008 FYI....

~Res

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BlueGnu View Post
    IThis may seem like a rather ghetto method, but it works and the game executes and plays perfectly fine.
    Nice, BlueGnu ..

Also, it's good to see some powerusers who want to share around here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No problem. Glad I could help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok I just changed the path of the dedicated folder and worked great

thanks!!

~Res

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BlueGnu View Post
    I've recently started using Windows Server 2008 x64 as a "super workstation OS" due to disappointments regarding Vista's performance and its state of overall bloat. That's a not a topic for this forum though so I'll leave it at that.

I'll explain what's happening here first. The problem here is that while Server 2008 is very similar to Vista, the version identifier is different, which the InstallShield setup program (SetupUT3.exe) checks and decides to deny installation. Since 'SetupUT3.exe' is a requisite wrapper for 'Unreal Tournament 3.msi', the Microsoft Installer package can't simply run on it's own. Isn't Windows fun? Now there's no way to bypass the InstallShield wizard's check of the Windows version or change the value it detects, but we can extract the game data files directly from the '.msi' package. This may seem like a rather ghetto method, but it works and the game executes and plays perfectly fine. The method I used is outlined below:
    1. Insert game DVD in drive.
    2. Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt (right-click, then click 'Run as administrator)).
    3. When the UAC Prompt appears, click 'Continue'.
    4. Type in: msiexec /a "[dvd_drive_letter]:\Unreal Tournament 3.msi" /qb TARGETDIR=C:\temp *
    5. Wait patiently for Microsoft Installer to extract the UT3 data files to "C:\temp".
    6. Move (cut & paste) the directory 'Unreal Tournament 3' to where you install your games, e.g. 'C:\Games'.
    7. Delete the 'C:\temp' directory (the extra folders and the .msi file that was copied from the install DVD are not needed).
    8. Create a shortcut to "UT3.exe" (located in the 'Binaries' subfolder of the new game directory we copied to).
    9. Apply 'Patch 2' for the game and point it to the 'Unreal Tournament 3' directory.
    10. Play UT3 on Windows Server 2008!

* Replace [dvd_drive_letter] with your DVD drive's letter assignment, i.e. "D", "E", etc.

Now, you won't get any registry keys this way, but that's fine. The patch will create them and the game will ask you to enter you serial when you first execute it. Overall, it's pretty simple. If you're using Windows Server 2008 you're probably (or really should be) an experienced power-user like me and can handle a simple workaround like this. If you have any questions or nitpicks, feel free to ask. I'll continue to monitor this thread for a week or so.

Anyways, happy fragging on a good version of Windows!
    Dont have a DVD bro....Looking to install UT3 dedicated server on this machine.

~Res

Same

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Installation Workaround

I've recently started using Windows Server 2008 x64 as a "super workstation OS" due to disappointments regarding Vista's performance and its state of overall bloat. That's a not a topic for this forum though so I'll leave it at that.

I'll explain what's happening here first. The problem here is that while Server 2008 is very similar to Vista, the version identifier is different, which the InstallShield setup program (SetupUT3.exe) checks and decides to deny installation. Since 'SetupUT3.exe' is a requisite wrapper for 'Unreal Tournament 3.msi', the Microsoft Installer package can't simply run on it's own. Isn't Windows fun? Now there's no way to bypass the InstallShield wizard's check of the Windows version or change the value it detects, but we can extract the game data files directly from the '.msi' package. This may seem like a rather ghetto method, but it works and the game executes and plays perfectly fine. The method I used is outlined below:
    1. Insert game DVD in drive.
    2. Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt (right-click, then click 'Run as administrator)).
    3. When the UAC Prompt appears, click 'Continue'.
    4. Type in: msiexec /a "[dvd_drive_letter]:\Unreal Tournament 3.msi" /qb TARGETDIR=C:\temp *
    5. Wait patiently for Microsoft Installer to extract the UT3 data files to "C:\temp".
    6. Move (cut & paste) the directory 'Unreal Tournament 3' to where you install your games, e.g. 'C:\Games'.
    7. Delete the 'C:\temp' directory (the extra folders and the .msi file that was copied from the install DVD are not needed).
    8. Create a shortcut to "UT3.exe" (located in the 'Binaries' subfolder of the new game directory we copied to).
    9. Apply 'Patch 2' for the game and point it to the 'Unreal Tournament 3' directory.
    10. Play UT3 on Windows Server 2008!

* Replace [dvd_drive_letter] with your DVD drive's letter assignment, i.e. "D", "E", etc.

Now, you won't get any registry keys this way, but that's fine. The patch will create them and the game will ask you to enter you serial when you first execute it. Overall, it's pretty simple. If you're using Windows Server 2008 you're probably (or really should be) an experienced power-user like me and can handle a simple workaround like this. If you have any questions or nitpicks, feel free to ask. I'll continue to monitor this thread for a week or so.

Anyways, happy fragging on a good version of Windows!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 13th_Disciple View Post
    is 2008 in retail release yet?
    Yeah I purchesed the OEM 32 bit 2008 Standard edition last week! havent found a bug yet!! Runs great!!

~Res

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 13th_Disciple View Post
    Yes...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CaptainSnarf View Post
    Right click on the exe, click properties->compatibility, click "run this program in compatibility mode for:" then change to a supported OS. I'm not sure if it will work but you can try it!

Tried that before I posted, didnt work----->but thanks!!

Anyone at Epic have any solutions?? or WHEN/WILL the game will be supported? any time soon?

~Res

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Right click on the exe, click properties->compatibility, click "run this program in compatibility mode for:" then change to a supported OS. I'm not sure if it will work but you can try it!

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Windows Server 2008 Support

Windows Server 2008 Support

Just tried to install UT3 dedicated on my win2008 x86 Server and No luck. Message says: Must be win2003, WinXP or Vista only?? Win2008 is vista right? So shouldn't this work? Is there a work around at the moment? Or is there going to be support for this new OS?

~Res
Working...
X