I could use some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could use some advice

After 6 hours and not one reply, I guess I asked the wrong question... Sorry...

LOL, I just came back to answer your questions but can't remember all of them and now they're gone. I remember you asking about gameserver providers though, see this for Epic recommended ones http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=604802

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-{OVGY} View Post
      LOL, I just came back to answer your questions but can't remember all of them and now they're gone. I remember you asking about gameserver providers though, see this for Epic recommended ones http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=604802
      Sorry, I thought maybe I was asking in the wrong place. I had like 40 views and no replies so I removed it. Basically I'd like to run a server but was wondering if server providers were a good way to go for someone with not a lot of time to build/admin/support my own box. I just want a nice CTF Server where people might come to play.
      Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated and I will check into it...

Comment

I viewed your earlier request for information, but to reply to everything you were asking would have taken considerable time and effort.

Let me say to you that if you don't have alot of time to devote, then server administration and all the tasks necessary to set it up & manage it will not be for you.

As for depending on you server provider to do it for you, you can forget that. They will put you up a basic machine, help you a little, but for the most part, you have to figure everything out yourself.

For the record, UT3 isn't the easiest to set up and run.

Good Luck.........

Comment

Whether you run it from home or from a provider it will take a bit of time to setup and maintain. With a provider though you don't have to worry about hardware maintenance and such so that would possibly be better for you yet costly at the same time. Maybe try from home at first, that way you can get stuck in and see 1st hand what sort of time it takes and what is needed because if you go with a provider 99% of the setup for a ut3 is the same as hosting yourself. This way you can assess whether you have the time to do it, and whether people will come to the server before you lay out any hard earned cash. Also if you do decide to go for it, since you would allready have learnt how to setup a ut3 server by doing it at home, your payed server won't be sat there for a couple of weeks doing nothing whilst you learn how to set it up.

Comment

Thanks Guys...

I really just want to play, I don't want to spend too much time with admin duties. I do IT for a living, spend most of my days in MVS-Z/OS on IBM Mainframes. I used to be a Print Architect in the WinTel World building and supporting Windows 200X Print Servers...

I guess I was hoping for an easy way to get someting I could count on being around up and running...

Comment

I don't have any answers for you, but the sheer number of servers that are constantly empty and never populated would make me not want to start a server. I assume so many are empty because they are all the **** same and people just jump on the few with people playing.

My suggestion: run custom maps and mutators that people want to play. I do commend you for wanting to fuel the community with your own pocketbook and I got a kick out of your name.

Comment

Originally posted by beef1187 View Post
                I don't have any answers for you, but the sheer number of servers that are constantly empty and never populated would make me not want to start a server. I assume so many are empty because they are all the **** same and people just jump on the few with people playing.

My suggestion: run custom maps and mutators that people want to play. I do commend you for wanting to fuel the community with your own pocketbook and I got a kick out of your name.
                Yep, there definately is a shortage of players at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-{OVGY} View Post
                  Yep, there definately is a shortage of players at the moment.
                  Yes, and most of the CTF servers I find are IG. I just want a CTF Server available that is "normal" what ever that is... No IG, maybe a few mutators and good ping...

However, I am done trying to set anything up for now...

Comment

I have a Linux dedicated server running at home. I spend less than 5 minutes a day administering my server. All I do is check if it's still running. If not I restart it, takes no time at all once you have it running. All the required time is in the initial setup. Setting up the router can be tricky. Once you have a startup command, you just edit it if you want to make changes. The box is over in the corner behind the door, runs 24-7, I only have to restart it when gamespy or the master server go down. I have 2 very inexpensive boxes available for CTF and DM, work great, I ran them for a week to test them. Already have the command lines to use. Real cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
                      Yes, and most of the CTF servers I find are IG. I just want a CTF Server available that is "normal" what ever that is... No IG, maybe a few mutators and good ping...

However, I am done trying to set anything up for now...
                      Well fwiw I got tired of the idling & griefing at the one CTF server that's typically populated and started my own. Madhouse has a pretty good setup but it's usually empty outside of a few hours in the afternoon, and I'm west coast and wanted something more local and fitting to my play-times. Setting up my server only took a few hours 2-3 evenings in a row. Still need to finish populating it with maps and trying out a few more mutators, but it's up & listed

Comment

Working...
                      X