Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Linux ut3 dedicated: Can it uz3-compress files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux ut3 dedicated: Can it uz3-compress files?

Simple question for the Linux dedicated servers, with patch 1.2 installed. Does the compress commandlet work or not? I receive errors trying to utilize it and apart from the 1.2 changelog (where it is stated that the compress commandlet is re-enabled) I found no references as to whether this commandlet actually works on Linux dedicated 1.2.

Anyone can confirm whether it works? Or that it has been stated that it doesn't, for that purpose?

compressing files is not necessary anymore. they are stored on redirects as they are in the serverdirectory as normal files without compression.

Comment

Thx for the pointer, but I must say that my original question remains unanswered.

<OT>Radon, there is no substitute for size Seriously now, for countries where ISDN and/or slow (1Mbps or less) ADSL lines are available, even saving 500kbytes is important!</OT>

Comment

compressing should be supported in linux 1.2
        not that the max of 10% file size reduction isn't a lot to get excited about. Yes, UT3 maps are already compressed.

Comment

i for a fact can tell you it works. i run linux at home and dedicated server.

the command is

ut3 compress C:\folder\file name

C can bechanged to any drive and so can the folder name. if you ever manually compressed files for UT2k4 its the same command just changed UCC to ut3

Comment

I made a custom VCTF map and did the normal build all and save and it was around 5 mgs. Works good too as long as both the client and server have the map installed.

Did a publish/cook on this map and it turned into a 30+ mg file so im at a bit of a loss understanding how that is file compression?

Are you saying that cooking is compression and if so explain this process to me because I can play the 5mg map and also the 30mg map and they appear to be no different other than the file size.

I can push a non cooked VCTF map compressed or non compressed but vehicles ect will not be available client side unless that client has that map installed before hand. But in that case I would not need to push it so ??

Comment

Originally posted by elmuerte View Post
              compressing should be supported in linux 1.2
              not that the max of 10% file size reduction isn't a lot to get excited about. Yes, UT3 maps are already compressed.
              (Respect mate, for supporting ut and us server admins for all that time!)
              "Should" is the keyword here, I still has not found anyone that actually has seen the compress commandlet working on Linux.

As for the fact that (command-line) compression savings are now minimal: like I said, 10% for a 10Mbyte file is 1Mbyte, that's good savings for me and my country's poor-excuse-for-broadband-connections.

Originally posted by Bonezfirner View Post
              i for a fact can tell you it works. i run linux at home and dedicated server.

the command is

ut3 compress C:\folder\file name

C can bechanged to any drive and so can the folder name. if you ever manually compressed files for UT2k4 its the same command just changed UCC to ut3

Do you have a "c:" drive on linux? Which distro? What do you get by running "uname -a"?

@Anick: I'd be grateful if you could make these questions a seperate thread. The topic here is about whether it is possible to use "ut3-bin compress <file>" on linux dedicated...

Comment

Hi man thanks a lot! I had a similar question and you got some satisfying answers thats a very professional forum

Comment

Working...
                X