Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup UT3 redirect and clarify it is working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    OK! THERE IS THE WAY:

in command line options put -lanplay that's will kick some *** in gaming bandwidth making game more responsive and with no 10k limit in donwload...

without -lanplay: download speed 10k/s capped
    with -lanplay: download speed increased to over 100kb

is also good use a redirect with compression enabled...

but if you use lanplay + allow download + redirect with compression is the BEST WAY if you have a server with good bandwidth

bye bye :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by boz View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can't change the speed of the in-game channel/pipe to go faster.

This is a bit of a pointed comment. Since this is the 5th(?) version of Unreal Tournament, I'd imagine that the devs have a pretty good handle on "why" some things are done the way they are. There's probably a reason why the in-game channel is as slow as it is. Also consider that just because most people who are online gamers have broadband, not everyone has it.
    set up an http server on the same machine where ut is... is not a problem.. but the boring thing is copy all .ut3,.u,.upk in a separate directory...

one time is not a problem but if u install maps every days is a sick thing...

i want only speed up game pipe... a configurable bandwidth limiting option can't not exists

in a remote and dark area of .ini files should be exists a setting like this..

i ack that we are in a topic called how to setup a working redirect....

ok but my question is: how make server fully speeded without setting a stupid redirect?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rubberick View Post
    Up !!!!!!!!!!
    Please edit that post to change the color. The red is irritating, unnecessary, and won't get your question answered any faster.

put on a webserver took 5 seconds but duplicate istallation files to redirect server is something slow except for fully dedicated stable servers where you have a fixed set of mutators/maps
    You don't need to completely duplicate the installation files to a redirect server. The only thing you need to put on a redirect server is ".U", ".UPK", "UT3", and "UZ3" files (as far as I know). The redirect server is intended to allow downloads of large files like maps and supporting texture files. An example of the file on my own redirect server is here (http://ut3.bozgate.com/MapRedir/)

without a redirect setting, the ut3 server push the file upon requested ad a ultra capped bandwidth about 5k or something similiar, a waste of time for download a 1000kb file, impossible to use for download a 70mb map...
    This is an indication that you have setup your redirect configuration wrong. I run a single server which is used for both hosting the game and hosting the redirect. From what I can figure out, the UT3 dedicated server will send the redirect info to the client. If the client can not connect to the server, cannot see the maps, or cannot download the files, it appears as though it re-queries the dedicated server to get the map via the SLOW channel. Double-check the redirection URL in your UTEngine.ini.

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://www.yourserver.com/location_of_map_files/

Don't forget! The URL MUST, MUST, MUST contain the trailing "/"

now... instead of setting up a redirect... on a quad or octal core machine with a much of ram and 100 or 1000mbit line what setting i should change in .ini files for let the server alone (not a redirect) upload all files at a decent quality?
    You've missed the point of this thread and need to re-read it. There are several posts (including mine) where we are using the same server to run the dedicated server as well as the redirect. You can run a dedicated server AND a redirect server on the same machine.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't change the speed of the in-game channel/pipe to go faster.

that limit is a nonsense on a full bandwidth webfarm server, probably they inserted it for slow modem or dsl/cable servers
    This is a bit of a pointed comment. Since this is the 5th(?) version of Unreal Tournament, I'd imagine that the devs have a pretty good handle on "why" some things are done the way they are. There's probably a reason why the in-game channel is as slow as it is. Also consider that just because most people who are online gamers have broadband, not everyone has it.

So, re-read these replies to this thread:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...9&postcount=83

Originally posted by AZ-{OVGY} View Post
    ...Also, if you can use your redirect server from a browser then your redirect is online...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Up !!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, hi all i have now a question:

i have a server with a lot of bandwidth and cpu, my server is for testing purpose and we think that compress or copy file in a secondary server or location for every file in ut3 folder and setup a webserver only for this is a waste of time..

put on a webserver took 5 seconds but duplicate istallation files to redirect server is something slow except for fully dedicated stable servers where you have a fixed set of mutators/maps

without a redirect setting, the ut3 server push the file upon requested ad a ultra capped bandwidth about 5k or something similiar, a waste of time for download a 1000kb file, impossible to use for download a 70mb map...

now... instead of setting up a redirect... on a quad or octal core machine with a much of ram and 100 or 1000mbit line what setting i should change in .ini files for let the server alone (not a redirect) upload all files at a decent quality?

that limit is a nonsense on a full bandwidth webfarm server, probably they inserted it for slow modem or dsl/cable servers

regards,
    rub

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wanman View Post
    After hours of trial and error, I would like to clarify server redirection

The following settings must be in your UTEngine.ini file:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
    AllowDownloads=False

* - Setting AllowDownloads to False will force server to redirect files (for testing)
    This is the setting you use if you are using a 3rd party redirect server which most of you are (and why not... the two I know about are free). If you intend on using the same server that runs your UT3 dedicated server process as the redirect server (which *I* do so that I am the only one who controls file versions for redirect), you need to set AllowDownloads=True.

NOTE: If you intend on using a similar setup to mine, you can tell if your redirect is working properly if the file comes down to your client at a fairly fast clip (depending on your server bandwidth). If you see the progress messages show up with 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 -- meaning the file is coming down, but so slow the evening will be over long before you get the file -- it may mean that you don't have your web server or files setup/located properly.

Here's how I know.

I setup my redirect according to the instructions in the first post of this thread using the same server for both dedicated server and www redirect server. My UZ3 files were in the right place & web server was configured properly. It worked brilliantly and the files came down very fast.

Then I happened on the response above which jogged my memory about this same setting for a UT2004 dedicated server. Essentially it works the same way in the old game and I recall having to set my allowdownloads to false in order to force people to download from the third party redirect server.

So... at this point I don't know if I set my UT3 server up correctly or not. To test it I removed one map from the www redirect folder. When I connected with my client, the maps I didn't have locally (map cache was empty) downloaded very fast and I jumped into the level fairly quick. When I voted for the one map that I removed from the www redirect folder, the download still worked, but was only trickling. As soon as the missing map was returned to the www redirect folder and the server was restarted, my client downloaded it "lickety-split" and I was off to the races.

Good thread. Lot's of good info here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice, works like a charm Thanks for posting this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Successful Redirection Summary

After hours of trial and error, I would like to clarify server redirection

The following settings must be in your UTEngine.ini file:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
    AllowDownloads=False

* - Setting AllowDownloads to False will force server to redirect files (for testing)

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://yourfileserver.com/folder/
    UseCompression=False

* - You must use a trailing slash in url
    * - You cannot use a port number in url
    * - Compression is not necessary as map will download in seconds and a compression utility will not be needed.

Copy uncompressed map file to Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated)\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomMaps folder

* - This your game installation folder, not the My Documents folder.
    * - You create the CustomMaps folder.

I like to restart the server loading the new map to get an immediate redirect on the new map from client.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    U files go in:

Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated)\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where .u files?

Originally posted by Maupzilla View Post
    • The customMaps are placed in UTGame\CookedPC\CustomMaps
      Mutators go in UTGame\CookedPC\Script
      ini files in /UTGame/Config
    Thanx. Where goes .u files? Downloaded old good ONS-TankMeUp --> WAR-TankMeUp and it have Script folder and many .u files there.

I add to folder :\UT3\UTGame\CookedPC\Script, but client didn't download them from redirected server. On redirected server there is all files (compressed). Other custom maps works and client can download.

Again. Where I put .u files? Dedicated Windows server, UT3 v2.0, on batch file -nohomedir and -unattended parameters.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the post AZ-{OVGY}, this got my redirect up and running with no hassles.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This will happen if the version map you have on your server doesn't match the one on the redirect. Safe way to avoid it is to check the redirect to see if it has the files you want, download the compressed .UZ3 files and decompress them.

I use the same redirect and have avoided map version conflicts this way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well was probably that map. Kinda strange since it used to work. However i changed map and it downloaded perfectly Thx for the help

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok id have no set it to AllowDownloads=false and it downloads the map fast 1 time only but when its finnished i get this error:

I guess the redirect works since the dl speed is way faster than from the server so idk can it be cause its compressed or something?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by johann83 View Post
    I have a question here. I recently changed redirect server from my own to this one:

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://uz3.gameservers.net/ut3/
    UseCompression=True

But now when i go on the server it downloads the map faster so the redirect server works BUT when i finished downloading the map it starts over again to download it without compression :S and that is like 0,1 0,2 0,3 % etc.

Any idea why it downloads the map 1 time compressed and then starts over with the non compressed file wich arent on the redirect. as you can see above i did set UseCompression=True so help pls.

P.S i did use the Compress tool so i know i uploaded them compressed and som maps where already uploaded by someone else so...
    Make sure your Allowdownloads=false. If set to true, it allows downloads from your game server. As for why it's doing it twice, maybe you have two entries in the file? Try changing Allowdownloads=false first and see if that works.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X