Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup UT3 redirect and clarify it is working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3.com is in your binaries path, same place you would find UT3.exe

Comment

Thanks.
      I tried out the Cath map which was 24.9 MB not counting the other two files in its folder which are
      DM-Cath_LOC_int.upk
      DM-Cath.ut3
      DM-Cath.ini

After it compressed it, I ended up with one file called
      DM-Cath.ut3.uz3
      and it is 22.6 MB.

I take it the program did also include the upk and ini files when it compressed the ut3 one?

It only saved about 2.3 MB, I thought it would be much more space it saved than that.

PS, I see there is a drop down box in the compression program, I guess I was suppose to include all the files, not just the .ut3 one?

Comment

It only compresses the file you select. The .ut3 file is the only one you need to do as it is the only one that will be sent to client.

Comment

Thanks.
          Since the ini and the upk files are smaller, I take it those still get served up from the gaming server, and not from my personal site where the redirect folder is.

This is all new to me doing this.
          My friend who runs the server does it for his Counter Stike Source maps, but he said he uses some app called 7 zip.

Seems this one you pointed me to is better for UT.

Comment

Originally posted by Corey View Post
            Thanks.
            Since the ini and the upk files are smaller, I take it those still get served up from the gaming server, and not from my personal site where the redirect folder is.

This is all new to me doing this.
            My friend who runs the server does it for his Counter Stike Source maps, but he said he uses some app called 7 zip.

Seems this one you pointed me to is better for UT.
            If it's a custom piece of content on the game server, and the client doesn't have it, and you have redirect setup, it will look to the redirect server first and try to push all files to the client from the redirect, unless they do not exist there. So put all map relative content on the redirect server, including the maps INI file. Otherwise, you are taking resources away from the game server itself and using them to deal with client downloads of the custom content.

Comment

Oh, OK.

So I should still upload the ini and upk files to the redirect folder, but they do not need to be zipped up like the DM-Cath.ut3 one that gets zipped into DM-Cath.uz3, correct?

Comment

Oh, OK.

So I should still upload the ini and upk files to the redirect folder, but they do not need to be zipped up like the DM-Cath.ut3 one that gets zipped into DM-Cath.uz3, correct?
                none of it technically has to be compressed. but since they are so small, it's not worth it.

Comment

Thanks, I understand now
                  What I will do is pull the Phobetor map out of my CustomMaps folder on my own PC, then connect to the gaming server to see if I get the screen where the map is being pushed to me.

Thanks for all of your help guy's, this is fun setting up all this stuff, just takes time.

Then we have to do it all over again in a few weeks when we switch over to a brand new faster server, but it will be at the same IP.

UT slows down the Counter Strike game, and that one is full most of the time, so it takes priority over UT for now.

My friend had to shut down UT late last night until this morning as players in CS:S were complaining.

The CPU simply is not up to snuff for running tow games full time I guess.

We are going for a new quad core, much better than what it is on now.

Comment

Oh, OK.

Only the .ut3 file is needed on redirect. .ini and .upk(LOC) are not pushed to the client, the only .upk that would be redirected is if the author added extra content into a seperate package, if this is done it will not have LOC in the file name. All files with LOC in the name do not get pushed. It is a waste of time and space uploading them to your redirect. I have checked my cache and only .ut3 files are pushed.

Comment

Thanks again for the info AZ.
                      Another question

We have CustomUT mutator on the server.
                      Right now the server pushes it.
                      I see this line in the redirect setup:
                      If you think you are having problems with redirect after adding this clarify that your redirect server is working, do this by adding/changing this in UTEngine.ini

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
                      AllowDownloads=False

(This will stop the server pushing the file itself so if it can't find it on redirect you'll get a connection failed error. If set to true it will check redirect and if it can't find file there for whatever reason it will push file from the server. You don't want it to do this as you are checking your redirect is actually working.)
                      Right now it is set to "True."
                      I take it that needs to be that way since the server is pushing the mutator.
                      If I want to put the mutator on the redirect, I should change the value to "False" instead?

If so, do I just dump the contents of the yellow folders all into the redirect folder so they are all mixed in with the uz3 files instead of leaving the mutator in its yellow folders?

Comment

No, changing AllowDownloads to False is only for the purpose of testing that redirect is working. This stops the server pushing files so if your redirect isn't working you will recieve an error as the file cannot be found from anywhere, thus clarifying that the redirect isn't working. Simply compress the mutator just like maps (.u, .upk files) and upload to redirect. What AllowDownloads=True means is that clients are first redirected to redirect server, if the file cannot be found there (doesn't exist, redirect server offline maybe) then your gameserver will push file itself. This should always be true once you have clarified your redirect is working purely as a backup, for example if your redirect server goes offline temporarily (it happens) then at least the server will push necessary files until it is back online, albeit very slowly.

AllowDownloads=True should always be set when you know your redirect is actually working.

Comment

What about a custom character? Is there a line that I need to add to the UTEngine.ini to make sure any connecting clients can get the custom character .upk file downloaded to them so that they can see that custom character on the server?

For example, I have Evil Engine's Xan Kriegor model on both my client main rig and on my server and I can see him just fine when he's in the game.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried the compression and redirect techniques listed in this thread for custom characters. I've verified it does work for maps.

Comment

I'm going to check this for you as so far I haven't bothered adding any custom characters to my server so am unsure. I believe they will push though providing they are installed correctly.

Comment

Hello,

I followed all the steps but I still got problems with the redirect.
                              The custom maps are here "\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps"
                              And the Linux server is updated to 1.2

When I set
                              [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
                              AllowDownloads=False Downloads are slow

So I thought it was a slow redirect server. But when I download directly from it, the downloads are fast (a custom map in 30 sec)

Then I tried this

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
                              AllowDownloads=False

And I removed the uz3 file from the redirect server. This way I should get an error trying to download the file. But The game still gives a slow download.
                              Does somebody know whats going on here? I really don't know it anymore
                              My UTEngine.ini looks like this

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
                              AllowDownloads=True
                              ConnectionTimeout=30.0
                              InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
                              AckTimeout=1.0
                              KeepAliveTime=0.2
                              MaxClientRate=15000
                              MaxInternetClientRate=10000
                              RelevantTimeout=5.0
                              SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
                              ServerTravelPause=4.0
                              NetServerMaxTickRate=30
                              LanServerMaxTickRate=35
                              IdleServerTickRate=30
                              DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
                              DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
                              NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
                              RedirectToURL=http://www.MyURL.nl/Redirect/ut3/
                              UseCompression=True

Maupzilla

Comment

Can you check that in your UTEngine.ini the following is there

[Engine.Engine]
                                NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver

Comment

Working...
                                X