Proper characters not always showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper characters not always showing

I'm having a problem with my server where characters are changing to the "demo man" sometimes. I thought I'd seen other folks running servers having this problem but couldn't find anything after searching.

It usually happens on map change. Sometimes it corrects itself on map change and then on the next map change goes back. Also, if I do an "admin addbots" during the session, all of those bots are "demo man" but they can have Akasha's name with Akasha's voice for instance. Sometimes my own character is demo man also. I can fix it sometimes but disconnecting and rejoining which is a hassle of course.

The only major change I have made is to set the MaxClientRate to 6500 for 8 players since I have a 512KB upload. This worked fine for all of the other UT's. I have never had performance complaints. Most of the joiners are my friends so I have reporting on connection quality over Teamspeak and there have been no problems other than this particular problem. A few other items: I have a full install of UT3 on the server with 1.1 patch, I'm running it dedicated as a FireDaemon service (command line not handy at the moment) and I have done an "unlockallchars" on the server.

Anybody else have this problem?

I am having the same problem and I am running patch 2beta4. Sometimes I see the players as they are when a person connecting sees them as demo, and vise versa.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNameAirman View Post
      I am having the same problem and I am running patch 2beta4. Sometimes I see the players as they are when a person connecting sees them as demo, and vise versa.
      **** that sucks! And after the latest patch too!

Comment

Yes I notice the same problem on our server running patch 1.1. We are running custom maps and mutators, maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Happens to me also. It's like an iron guard with the helmet right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
            Happens to me also. It's like an iron guard with the helmet right?
            Yep that's our good buddy "demo man"!

Comment

Actually, I wonder how many people have this problem and don't realize it. If you are on your own server and you don't have a friend on it providing feedback, you may not know that the problem exists. For example, I won a round the other night on my server and I could see my robot character but my friend that was on said he saw "demo man".

Sounds like a number of other folks are having the same problem so I'm a bit surprised there isn't a solution or at least an acknowledgement that it is a known bug.

Comment

I dont have that problem on my server so check this out and see if it helps. Well..... not anymore, what happened was I have a 14 player slot server. This was set at MaxCustomChars=12 , now if I had 12 players already on the server and I was the 13th player , I would have the default demo player. Every since I bumped it up to MaxCustomChars=14 I havnt had that problem.

Code:
                [UTGame.UTGame]
                BotRatio=1.000000
                GoalScore=25
                bTournament=false
                bPlayersMustBeReady=false
                NetWait=15
                ClientProcessingTimeout=30
                RestartWait=45
                MinNetPlayers=1
                bWaitForNetPlayers=False
                LateEntryLives=1
                TimeLimit=20
                GameDifficulty=+5.0
                EndTimeDelay=4.000000
                bAllowMapVoting=true
                VoteDuration=30
                bForceRespawn=False
                ServerSkillLevel=0
                MaxCustomChars=14  <-------Set this to how many players spots on your server

Oh by the way i'm still on patch 1.1

Comment

Originally posted by ILLFINGAZ View Post
                  I dont have that problem on my server so check this out and see if it helps. Well..... not anymore, what happened was I have a 14 player slot server. This was set at MaxCustomChars=12 , now if I had 12 players already on the server and I was the 13th player , I would have the default demo player. Every since I bumped it up to MaxCustomChars=14 I havnt had that problem.

Code:
                  [UTGame.UTGame]
                  BotRatio=1.000000
                  GoalScore=25
                  bTournament=false
                  bPlayersMustBeReady=false
                  NetWait=15
                  ClientProcessingTimeout=30
                  RestartWait=45
                  MinNetPlayers=1
                  bWaitForNetPlayers=False
                  LateEntryLives=1
                  TimeLimit=20
                  GameDifficulty=+5.0
                  EndTimeDelay=4.000000
                  bAllowMapVoting=true
                  VoteDuration=30
                  bForceRespawn=False
                  ServerSkillLevel=0
                  MaxCustomChars=14  <-------Set this to how many players spots on your server

Oh by the way i'm still on patch 1.1
                  I only have an 8 player server and MaxCustomChars is set to 12, HOWEVER, I never even thought about MaxCustomChars. I just changed it to 20 just for yuks and it seems to have had an effect on the problem. New mid-game joiners are always demo man but then they seem to be correct after all subsequent map changes. Need more testing but I think that setting is probably the likely culprit. Thanks for your input!!

Comment

sweet looks like you guys might have solved it.

Comment

ive seen this problem too i think its if u have more then 5 ppl or something like that.....cause i know whenever i put it up to 16 i tend to find jester without boobies and with a voice as deep as barry white

Comment

Definitely a bug, must be something with delayed loading of character models that's somehow messed up. It doesn't bother me all that much anymore, guess you get used to it over time

Comment

I still haven't had a chance to get a good chunk of time (couple hours with good reporting from joiners) to test yet. I will definitely report back when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by haslo View Post
                            Definitely a bug, must be something with delayed loading of character models that's somehow messed up. It doesn't bother me all that much anymore, guess you get used to it over time
                            Oh man, you are too easy on Epic! It really takes alot of the fun out of it for me if everyone is running around looking and sounding the same. If this is a bug and not just a setting issue, it needs fixin'!

Comment

My problem is a bit different. I have chosen a female Necris character for my player model. On some servers I see and hear her. On others, I see and hear a male character of the same race.

CL

Comment

Working...
                              X