Noob Setting Up Server - Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob Setting Up Server - Need Help!

Hey folks, I'm a total noob to hosting a server and Epic hasn't done me any favors to make this process easier... I could really use some direction and would hope this thread might serve as some help to other noobs in the same position as me...

My Goal: Set up a dedicated internet DM server for myself and 3 other friends to play head to head. I've read thread after thread on this forum and spend a ton of time trying and trying again. I usually enjoy figuring out things like this but I've freakin had it and just want some **** help!

Hardware: By all accounts I've read the machine I'm attempting to host the server with should be just fine so we'll rule that out.

Software: I've got both the UT3 retail package installed and the dedicate server package installed on said machine.

I've patched both directories with Patch v1.1.

I've downloaded the webadmin interface as well. I unpacked the webadmin files into the dedicated directory. Does this need to go into the standard UT3 directory as well?

On the webadmin download site it mentions editing the UTWEB.ini file changing one of the variables, I've seached my HD many times over and can't even locate this file... Is this something I need to create myself?

Command Line: I've used one of the web based .ini generators and attempted to start the server from within a DOS prompt, is this correct or should I be editing some .ini file somewhere? When attempting to run from DOS it simply tells me that "ut3.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external program or batch file."

In the ini generator it requests a number for "Public Connections" and "Private Connections" wtf does this mean?

Network: I'm behind a router and have opened up all the appropriate ports and forwarded them to the network location that is my machine I want to host from. I've also opened up the ports in windows firewall for the network traffic. This being the case I understand I need to use the "multihome" command, should this just contain my network line in IP address?

This list should get me heading in the right direction but I'm sure more questions will come up as I move foward. I want to honestly thank anyone who is willing to help me through this process. My whole UT3 experience has been AWFUL from the minute I purchased the retail version and the **** thing kepting hanging on install. I do really enjoy the gameplay and can't wait to get head to head with my buddies but Epic has really released an unfinished title with UT3 and it's frustrating as hell to me.

Thanks ya'll,
    Heap

Originally posted by Heap View Post
    I've downloaded the webadmin interface as well. I unpacked the webadmin files into the dedicated directory. Does this need to go into the standard UT3 directory as well?

On the webadmin download site it mentions editing the UTWEB.ini file changing one of the variables, I've seached my HD many times over and can't even locate this file... Is this something I need to create myself?
    What and where is this webadmin interface download?

Comment

Software: I've got both the UT3 retail package installed and the dedicate server package installed on said machine.

I've patched both directories with Patch v1.1.

1st the webadmin works with Patch1.2 Beta so I wouldnt use it if your server is only patched to 1.1 (wait for the full patch1.2 to come out b4 messing with the webadmin imo).

It wont be generated until the server launches. Again if ur using patch 1.1 then it probly wont be generated at all as its part of patch 1.2beta.

Command Line: I've used one of the web based .ini generators and attempted to start the server from within a DOS prompt, is this correct or should I be editing some .ini file somewhere? When attempting to run from DOS it simply tells me that "ut3.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external program or batch file."

In the ini generator it requests a number for "Public Connections" and "Private Connections" wtf does this mean?
      While I'm, sure the code generators are useful to some, I dont think they are really needed anymore. Most things can be set from within the utgame.ini

Network: I'm behind a router and have opened up all the appropriate ports and forwarded them to the network location that is my machine I want to host from. I've also opened up the ports in windows firewall for the network traffic. This being the case I understand I need to use the "multihome" command, should this just contain my network line in IP address?
      Multihome isnt needed unless you have two network cards in your server.

try simply launching ur server using the following as a command line.
      if ur using windows,
      start
      run

Code:
      C:\Progra~1\Unreal~1\binaries\UT3.exe Server DM-Deck?MinNetPlayers=0?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True?bUsesPresence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresence=True?AverageSkillRating=0.000000?Difficulty=2?LockedServer=0?Campaign=0?ForceRespawn=0?AdminPassword=uradminpwd?NumPlay=1?name=servername?alias=gamealias -log=Dedicated_dm_Server.log -Login=gamespyusername -Password=gamespypwd  -nohomedir  -queryport=6560 -unattended
      note: the gamespy username and pwd u use to launch your server must be created using the retail version of ut3. u cant use just a regular gamespy account name, it has to be created by the ut3 game (use retail ver to do so)

Comment

and check out related thread
        http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591920
        it talks about the settings that used to be done from the command line, and are now set in the utgame.ini

Comment

-multihome may be necessary if he has more than one IP bound to the NIC..

Comment

Thanks for help and advice guys, I'm up and running. My buddies and I are very grateful!

One more question, how do I specify how many bots I want running? I've read through Dubious' thread and he mentions there that he can't find where to specify the number of bots after the patch.

My hope is to have 4 total player slots and bots operating in any of the unfilled positions. So in other words I join solo and play against 3 bots. Myself and two buddies are logged in there is only one bot... Again thanks for the help folks, you guys rock!

Edit, I figured out how to do it from within the game by loggin in with the admin password but I will have to apparently do this every time a level starts? So if anyone has a way to write this into the command line that would be great...

Comment

Originally posted by ANick View Post
              What and where is this webadmin interface download?
              Can you provide the link where you got this?

Comment

My hope is to have 4 total player slots and bots operating in any of the unfilled positions. So in other words I join solo and play against 3 bots. Myself and two buddies are logged in there is only one bot... Again thanks for the help folks, you guys rock!

Edit, I figured out how to do it from within the game by loggin in with the admin password but I will have to apparently do this every time a level starts? So if anyone has a way to write this into the command line that would be great...
                Try adding this to your command line:

?numplay=4?minnetplayers=0

Comment

its part of the patch1.2beta that was released for testing to the admin mailing list. The 1.2beta is kind of buggy so unless you want to test you shouldnt install it for a production server.

In any case the patch w/webadmin isnt available (or isnt supposed to be) to the general public as its still just a beta.

Comment

NVM Figured it out...

Comment

Did a search on Google for "UT3 administration"... the link you're looking for is about 4 down: http://ut3webadmin.elmuerte.com/

Can't be much of a secret... but I don't think you'll get it working without having the latest beta patch (which isn't public yet) as Havok said.

Comment

Working...
                      X