Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

How to set up a Linux Dedicated Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kzoink View Post
    Linux Lag issues resolved (pending):

I've been searching everywhere for a fix to the random lag issues with the linux dedicated server. I think I found a solution but I only had about 3 games last night to test it out so I need help. PLEASE if you run a dedicated server and you have having this issue do the following and the POST TO THE FORUMS! We need feedback because this is a big problem!

Change your command line to include: -multihome=111.222.333.444 (change the IP to the IP of your server)

I added mine like this "-Log=myserver.log -multihome=111.222.333.444 -unattended" in between log and unattended.

Please try this out and see what happens.
    setting up a temp test vCTF server tonight and will try this..

Comment

I think we have determined though that this -multihome= "fix" only resolves some behavior, but some other less prevalent issues still pop up. I know it does not hurt to set it, and it solved some big problems for me, but just FYI, there are still issues.

Comment

Just to clarify, you have added the -multihome= argument to your command line? Are you still getting this?
        Have not seen the lag or freezing, but not too much playing has happened, lots of everything else though. I posted more info in the other Laggy thread.

Comment

Cool I'll check it out.

Comment

I think we have determined though that this -multihome= "fix" only resolves some behavior, but some other less prevalent issues still pop up. I know it does not hurt to set it, and it solved some big problems for me, but just FYI, there are still issues.
            I had it in there, but I haven't run a UT based server in years and seem to be having issues. Started with a 30 tick rate since this is a test deal on a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM. 12 spots, 2 specs. No load on the box except my instance in game.

The server seemed to jump around slightly, so figured I would up the tick rate. ALT+TAB to SSH, modify utengine with 60 tick rate, restart server, alt+tab back in game, and my connection does all manner of crazy ****. So I shut down UT, restart and all seemed ok. So I can't say **** right now about the -multihome switch.

I did have the game knock me out, and said connection to hst timed out. Went to server and shut it down. looked through log and saw nothing poking out. I think I just had a connection error on my DSL side back to the interwebz.

Also, I created the GameSpy alt ID and Pass in game, put it on in startup script as you mentioned in your original post, but still never saw server in the vCTF server list. But I just now remembered why and will check later to see if that's the case. I think I filtered all empty servers. Your original post was very help, so thank you very much!

Comment

A couple thoughts:
              The tick rate thing is not "recommended config" it's barely urban legend from a performance standpoint (someone is going to flame me for that). A tick rate of 60 is really high, so if you can glean any improvement from changing it I would suggest small changes at first. In fact if you are having stability issues and lag issues leave that tick rate at the defaults for all your testing. The default rate isn't going to cause "lag".

Ok, so from what you are describing it sounds like you have a networking issue and not a game engine issue.

Also, a 2.4ghz celeron isn't a lot of horsepower. I'm running a 3.2ghz xeon server core with 2gb ram and server grade motherboard. Even with a very heavily optimized build of RedHat I'm using 60-70% peak cpu for a 16-24 player game.

Watch your ping rate in game and your cpu out of game using the top command in console.

Comment

A couple thoughts:
                The tick rate thing is not "recommended config" it's barely urban legend from a performance standpoint (someone is going to flame me for that). A tick rate of 60 is really high, so if you can glean any improvement from changing it I would suggest small changes at first. In fact if you are having stability issues and lag issues leave that tick rate at the defaults for all your testing. The default rate isn't going to cause "lag".

Ok, so from what you are describing it sounds like you have a networking issue and not a game engine issue.

Also, a 2.4ghz celeron isn't a lot of horsepower. I'm running a 3.2ghz xeon server core with 2gb ram and server grade motherboard. Even with a very heavily optimized build of RedHat I'm using 60-70% peak cpu for a 16-24 player game.

Watch your ping rate in game and your cpu out of game using the top command in console.
                it's my ping.. did a trace route.. 14 **** hops to the box.. a dude much farther away had a ~60 some odd ping and said it ran great for him. so it's me, and that blows.

i noticed the ut3-bin process idles ~35% CPU usage when empty, and it does get on up there with a load. this was with 12 man server, about 8 head on the box. I thought it was the server freaking, but it was my **** connection. lol..

i will reduce the tick rate back to 30 and have folks test it. one of the people in the server said i was lagging so bad he couldn't shot me.. but he killed me fairly often, and i could hit the ground looking at it. :/

Comment

Sweet, sounds like I was partially correct. That never happens!

Yeah, just for reference 3.2ghz xeon idle is 5-6% for me and 11% with 1 player and 7 bots in game.

Comment

Sweet, sounds like I was partially correct. That never happens!

Yeah, just for reference 3.2ghz xeon idle is 5-6% for me and 11% with 1 player and 7 bots in game.
                    Yeah, I think I could pull off a 10 man pure server, and that's about it.. Otherwise, I am creating an instant bottle neck on the CPU and RAM..

Comment

I have setted up a server. So far so good:

Code:
                      Log: Game class is 'UTOnslaughtGame_Content'
                      Init: Sockets: Socket queue 262142 / 262142
                      Log: NetMode is now 1
                      Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
                      Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
                      Log: Novodex Terrain Creation (Terrain_1): 47.117000 ms
                      Log: Bringing World WAR-Serenity.TheWorld up for play (30) at 2008.02.26-13.54.57
                      ScriptLog: MinNetPlayers:  1
                      ScriptLog: -- MAPVOTE is ENABLED!!!!!
                      ScriptLog: Webserver is not enabled.  Set bEnabled to True in Advanced Options.
                      ScriptLog: Destroying WebServer
                      ScriptLog: Activating link setup Default
                      Log: Bringing up level for play took: 1.130020
                      Log: ########### Finished loading level: 4.056745 seconds
                      Init: Game engine initialized
                      Log: Initializing Game Engine Completed
                      NetComeGo: Open TheWorld  84.27.242.54:64376
                      Log: FSTUNClient resolved stunserver.org (192.245.12.229)
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_0 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_1 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_2 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_3 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_4 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_5 84.27.242.54:64376
                      NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_6 84.27.242.54:64376
                      I can't see the server in HLSW, and not in other online programs. Do you guys know what the problem could be?

I forwared the 7777, 6500, 13000 on the firewall at my linux server. (UDP)

Comment

nevermind me.. i r we todd did..

Comment

very nice tutorial, works like a charm

Comment

kzoink, Just wanted to say w00p for hooking us up with this great setup guide, worked like a charm and the service script was icing on the cake!

Comment

Hey followed your guide but I'm getting an "Illegal Instruction" whenever I try to start ./ut3-bin or the startserver.sh.

I have SELinux disabled long time ago, any idea.

Thanks

Comment

If I try to install the Server I get an error:

NOTICE: BUG: crash at startup
                                [hit enter]

any Idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X