Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated Linux Laggy

Hi all,

Just installed a Linux/Gentoo dedicated server for UT3 (nothing else runs on it). It's a Core2Duo 2.6 with 1GB RAM, network 100Mb/s symetric.

I started the server without modifying the .ini, just a start on a VCTF map.
    ut3.exe Server VCTF-SUSPENSE?PureServer=1?bShouldAdvertise=True?bUsesS tats=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bIsDedicated=True?Admi nPassword=xxx -Port=7777 -Login=xxx -Password=xxx -log=DedicatedServer.log

Everything's fine, ping are around 50ms for all players, but with 12 players after a short while the server lags really really lags...

When lagging, CPU is at 18%, 640MB of free memory, pings are still the same around 50.
    When playing at 4 + 20 bots, no lag at all.

I can not figure out why, is it the connection for gamespy during game or some players with "strange" configuration, some UT3 parameter to optimize, or anything else on the system, any idea is welcome

Thanks for Ur help

According to the FAQ, only the 1-1 or full cone NAT is supported. Your symmetric or restricted cone NAT may be an issue. But, these are complicated even more as what they are called vs what they actually do may also be misleading. So, that is likely an issue at some level. Maybe other factors as well. Looks like you need more info to me.

Comment

That's not what he meant, he meant symmetric bandwidth, i.e. same upstream and downstream as opposed to ADSL and such.

Except for that ping remains the same, it sounds like a network choke. Have you verified what usable bandwidth you have to various external test points?

Comment

Run a tracert from your computer to your server, and from your server back to you're ip. (you need both to see the whole picture). There may be some unseen router in the middle that is dropping packets or having high pings, a sign of it being overloaded.

Comment

Thanks for the hints, I'll focus on network then

Comment

Some feedbacks on this issue.

I installed the "beta" ut3-bin because my server was also disconnecting after a while.

So now, it's "just" (sic ) lagging.
            I checked my network during lags, traceroutes are ok, no packet loss, I can connect easily to my machine and no special linux logs recorded.

I start to think that it is a UT3-bin issue ... may be Gentoo is not liked :P any other beta binary for ut3 recently ?

So guys if you've a dedicated Linux Server running without lags could you please post your config (for vctf) ?

#Linux version
            #CPU/Ram
            #bandwith
            #num player max

Thanks for your feedbacks

Comment

Linux version: CentOS 4.5
              CPU/Ram: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13Ghz) & 2GB 800MHz DDR2, runs at about 15~20% CPU Usage once up and running, seen 11% for RAM whilst CPU at 15% haven't checked it during higher loads...
              bandwith: 100Mbit (~not sure of up/download speeds but easily enough for alot of people...)
              num player max: set to 24, could handle more easily tho, I just don't think over 24 people suits Vctf...

<>/ut3 server VCTF-Sandstorm?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Cont ent?MaxPlayers=24?GoalScore=5?TimeLimit=20?MinNetP layers=1?NumPlay=0?ForceRespawn=0?GameMode=3?Admin Email=<admine-mail>?AdminPassword=<adminpassword>?bIsDedicated=T rue?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesS tats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?PureServer=1?L ockedServer=0?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateCo nnections=0 -Login=<GSID> -Password=<GSPassword> -Port=7777 -QueryPort=6500 -logfile=utlog.out -nohomedir -multihome=85.234.131.137 -configsubdir=<ConfigFolder> -unattended &

Anything between <> is of course stuff I have removed, also these forums can add spaces to such long commands so ignore as such anything like that. This is a working line for myself, however trying to get BattleRPG up so the server is currently down.

Comment

This is being discussed on the icculus.org mailing list right now. I also have the problem and so do a LOT of Linux Dedicated Server users. It's not a bandwidth issue. I repeat it's not a bandwidth issue. It's a problem with and engine setting or a bug in the code. We are comparing configs at the moment to see what makes it work for some admins and not for others. I will post to all the threads discussing this and update my Linux Dedicated How-To once we find a resolution or a patch for the ut3-bin is released.

Comment

Resolved Lag Issue (Pending community feedback):

Please add -multihome=youripaddress to your command line and tell me if this resolves your problem.

I didn't have a lot of time to test this fix last night but a very obscure forum post I stumbled across suggested this fix and I tried it last night and was successful. I will admit that I only had enough users for about 3 rounds of (fully loaded) testing, and ~12 rounds of light load, but normally it popped up for me far before this point. Please post your feedback.

Comment

Just tried the multihome option and it's still lagging.

The log still shows :

* ScriptLog: # - Attempting to sync up the weapon
                    * ScriptLog: Received a map update for a none existant MapID (4)
                    * SeamlessTravel: << GameInfo::HandleSeamlessTravelPlayer: UTPlayerController_124

My server was full with 16 player, I checked CPU/RAM still ok. Not the good one yet :|

Comment

CRAPOLA!

I Say again CRAPOLA!

This is strange because it really seems to have fixed my problem. I've had a server going under load for about 12 hours. I'm watching it close and will advise.

What are your hostname settings in /etc/hosts?
                      What is your exact command line?
                      Are you running the test binary? (check your md5 hash of ut3-bin using the command md5sum, mine is 29606cab80b6d89d89a5ca0baad10266)

Comment

Just had two other admins e-mail and say this fixed their problem. More feedback is appreciated. I'm also still rolling along.

Comment

Ok I did a 'renice' of the ut3-bin process to be sure others won't interfere too much and it seems to work !!

20 players for about 2 hours without significant lag, tests will continue 'cause sometimes it worked before for about that long.
                          let you know after a full weekend ))

crossing fingers

Comment

7 responses in the positive now. 9 if you count my server and your possible success after your last post.

I really hope this is the work around for now because it's not a messy one.

Comment

I just restarted the server with the -multihome=server-internal-IP-address

While playing last night with 4 net players, intermittent heavy lags, I got these log entries and errors;

ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:ChoosePlayerStart:00EB) Accessed None 'PowerCore'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:ShouldPrioritizeNodeWithFla g:0095) Accessed None 'PowerCore'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:ChoosePlayerStart:01A0) Accessed None 'PowerNodes'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:ChoosePlayerStart:01A0) Accessed None 'PowerNodes'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:BestPlayerStartAtNode:000D) Accessed None 'SelectedPC'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:BestPlayerStartAtNode:0045) Accessed None 'SelectedPC'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtGame_Content EnvyEntry.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtGame _Content_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtGame:BestPlayerStartAtNode:0069) Accessed None 'SelectedPC'
                              ScriptLog: Warning - PATHS NOT DEFINED or NO PLAYERSTART with positive rating

Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_3 Home.Timer: had to sendhome
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Nemesis WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Nemes is_2 (Function UTGameContent.UTVehicle_Nemesis:ApplyTurretHeight: 02E5) Accessed None 'EffectRef'
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Nemesis WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Nemes is_2 (Function UTGameContent.UTVehicle_Nemesis:ApplyTurretHeight: 02E5) Accessed None 'EffectRef'
                              ScriptWarning: UTWarfareBarricade_Concrete WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTWarfareBarric ade_Concrete_0 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtSpecialObjectiveisableObjective:0046) Accessed None 'InstigatorController'

ScriptWarning: UTWarfareBarricade_Concrete WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTWarfareBarric ade_Concrete_1 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtSpecialObjectiveisableObjective:0046) Accessed None 'InstigatorController'

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_SPMA_Content WAR-Torlan.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_SPMA_Con tent_1 (Function UTGame.UTVehicleestroyed:00E2) UTVehicle_SPMA_Content_1 destroying seat 1 still controlled by UTBot_35 Aspect

ScriptWarning: UTProj_SPMACamera_Content WAR-Torlan.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTProj_SPMACamera_ Content_10 (Function UTGame.UTProj_SPMACamera:SetUpSimulation:0013) Accessed None 'Controller'

Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_2 Home.Timer: had to sendhome
                              Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_3 Home.Timer: had to sendhome
                              ScriptLog: # - Attempting to sync up the weapon

ScriptLog: Received a map update for a none existant MapID (3)

ScriptLog: Received a map update for a none existant MapID (14)
                              ScriptLog: Received a map update for a none existant MapID (5)

ScriptLog: Couldn't spawn player of type UTPawn at PlayerStart_6
                              ScriptLog: failed to spawn player at PlayerStart_6
                              ScriptLog: Couldn't spawn player of type UTPawn at PlayerStart_18
                              ScriptLog: failed to spawn player at PlayerStart_18

ScriptWarning: UTWeap_RocketLauncher WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTWeap_RocketLa uncher_538 (Function UTGame.UTWeapon:WeaponPuttingDown.BeginState:0051) Accessed None 'Instigator'
                              ScriptWarning: UTWeap_RocketLauncher WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTWeap_RocketLa uncher_538 (Function UTGame.UTWeapon:TimeWeaponPutDown:0009) Accessed None 'Instigator'
                              ScriptWarning: UTEMPMine WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTEMPMine_0 (Function UTGameContent.UTEMPMine:CheckEmp:00F6) Accessed None 'OldDriver'
                              ScriptWarning: UTEMPMine WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTEMPMine_0 (Function UTGameContent.UTEMPMine:CheckEmp:00F6) Accessed None 'OldDriver'
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Nemesis WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Nemes is_4 (Function UTGameContent.UTVehicle_Nemesis:ApplyTurretHeight: 02E5) Accessed None 'EffectRef'
                              ScriptWarning: UTOnslaughtPowernode_Content WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTOnslaughtPowe rnode_Content_4 (Function UTGame.UTOnslaughtPowernode:CheckInvulnerability:0 13C) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
                              Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_7 Home.Timer: had to sendhome
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Turret WAR-Avalanche.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Turre t_82 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle_TrackTurretBase:CheckReset:0145) Accessed None 'ParentFactory'
                              Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_6 Home.Timer: had to sendhome

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Nemesis WAR-Serenity_Necris.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle _Nemesis_1 (Function UTGameContent.UTVehicle_Nemesis:ApplyTurretHeight: 02C0) Accessed None 'EffectRef'

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Goliath_Content WAR-Serenity_Necris.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle _Goliath_Content_39 (Function UTGame.UTVehicleestroyed:00E2) UTVehicle_Goliath_Content_39 destroying seat 1 still controlled by UTBot_109 Judas
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Nemesis WAR-Serenity_Necris.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle _Nemesis_3 (Function UTGameContent.UTVehicle_Nemesis:ApplyTurretHeight: 02C0) Accessed None 'EffectRef'

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_ShieldedTurret_Rocket WAR-OnyxCoast.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Shiel dedTurret_Rocket_0 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle_TrackTurretBase:CheckReset:0145) Accessed None 'ParentFactory'
                              Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_10 Home.Timer: had to sendhome

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Leviathan_Content WAR-OnyxCoast.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Levia than_Content_9 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle_DeployableeployedStateChanged:00F7) Divide by zero
                              Error: UTOnslaughtFlag_Content_11 Home.Timer: had to sendhome
                              ScriptWarning: UTVWeap_FuryGun WAR-OnyxCoast.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVWeap_FuryGun _1 (Function UTGameContent.UTVWeap_FuryGun:WeaponBeamFiring.Tic k:0176) Accessed None 'LastBeamTarget'

ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Leviathan_Content WAR-OnyxCoast.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Levia than_Content_10 (Function UTGame.UTVehicleestroyed:00E2) UTVehicle_Leviathan_Content_10 destroying seat 1 still controlled by UTBot_122 Metridia

Comment

Working...
                              X