Server Woes - Why so many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server Woes - Why so many?

I seem to be having the same problem that others are having. I have installed the Windows Dedicated Server (and patched it) on a Windows XP Pro box behind a Netgear router. The machine has a static IP and is the DMZ machine but I also forwarded the 3 required ports to the machine since the DMZ doesn't seem to be working.

The server doesn't show up in GameSpy Arcade or the internal server browser weather it be set to Internet or LAN. However, opening the console and using the open <IP> command works fine.

Any ideas? My command string for the server follows. For obvious reasons, passwords and logins have been replaced with fakes

Server ctf-strident?Game=UTGameContent.UTCTFGame_Content?MaxP layers=10?MinNetPlayers=2?MaxSpectators=2;GoalScor e=5?TimeLimit=30?bUsesStats=True?bShouldAdvertise= True?bIsDedicated=True?bIsLanMatch=False?AdminPass word=xyz -login=abc -password=123 -nohomedir -unattended

Thanks all.

Windows server, well, make sure your windows firewall is off. Your router firewall is better. This is all generic here. You need to setup your router to forward certain ports to your server. The router assigns, if your using DHCP, (or you need to manually assign it if you want a static) a different address to each box connected to it. Say the router IP you see is 192.168.10.1, then it assigns 92.168.10.101 to your game box, 92.168.10.103 to your workstation, and 92.168.10.102 to the server. These are internal numbers, those outside your network see only the IP number assigned to your cable modem or broadband converter. The router is then set up to forward the correct ports to the proper internal IP, in this case, the ports 7777, 6500, and 13000 are forwarded to 92.168.10.102, which is the internal address of the server.You need to forward the ports on your router to your ut3 server.

Login to the router via the standard browser with the router address. http://192.168.10.1 for some, but find the one your router uses in the manual, different ones use different numbers. Then go to the router setup, usually advanced setup or settings, port forwarding. Many different router setup pages and no two are the same. You need to list the 3 ports to forward, UDP, assign to the address the router assigned to your UT3 server, say, 192.168.10.101 for example. To find out this address in linux type ifconfig as root. For windows I do not know. It will always be the same as your router except for the numbers after the last period.

Also, you may need to specify these in the startup command line. For example;

ut3.exe server vCTF-Containment?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Co ntent?GameMode=3?numplay=8?BotSkill=5?minnetplayer s=1?maxplayers=12?PureServer=1?timelimit=30?goalsc ore=3?ServerName=Server-Name?ServerDescription=054000118000054000032000086 000067000084000070000?AdminPassword=Admin-pass?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True? bUsesPresence=True?forcerespawn=1?bIsLanMatch=Fals e?bIsDedicated=True?bShouldAdvertise=True -login=GS-user -password=GS-pass -Port=7777 -unattended

Anything you missed in yours?

GameMode tells the master server where to place the server, 1 is CTF, 2 is WAR, 3 is VCTF if you have the wrong GameMode, the server will show up on the wrong list. Some say this is no longer needed, but it does not hurt.

Comment

also create the gamespy username and pwd ur using for ur server from within the UT3 retail ver. Using a normal gamespy username and pwd that u create on their website does not seem to work for ut3, mine only worked after I created the username and pwd from within the UT3 client.

Comment

I appreciate the response on how to setup the network, but it was really wasted information since it's already been posted in other threads and I've had game servers up in the past on my network (Unreal, UT99, UT2003, UT2004, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter Strike, Q3, etc.) without problems. I did check my command line and it looks to be OK (I added GameType and PureServer just to be sure) but still the same results. Since others are having similar problems, I'm having a hard time thinking it is something I am doing wrong unless there is a common step we are all missing. I've been wrong before though so I'm keeping an open mind

What I know so far is the following:

1) I can get to the server from the lan by typing "open <private ip>" from the console of the client machine. I connect and get to the player menu without problem.

2) If I use the "open <public ip>" command from over the internet, the console of the server reports

NetComeGo: Open TheWorld 01/10/08 07:15:50 24.58.89.68:2430
        Log: Client netspeed if 10000

But the client just sits there with the "Connecting..." text appearing on the screen and nothing further.

3) Even with the above, the server is not listed under LAN view in the browser, Internet View in the browser, or from GameSpy Arcade.

If someone wishes to try it to see what they get, the IP is kernel1.dyndns.org with the standard port of 7777.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest update is that I can connect to it from outside on the internet, but it still doesn't show in the game browser or in GameSpy. Any ideas?

Comment

You must create a unique profile, GS-user, using the retail version of the game, but your password, GS-password, can be the same for all your profiles.

Comment

OK! That finally clarifies things. I had read that part but completely missed it. I'm not sure why it must be done in this manner (create a profile for a server??) but it shows up in the browser now for Internet searches.

I have the bIsLanMatch=False flag in my command string because I want this to be Internet accessible as well, but is this flag what is stopping it from being listed when I select "LAN" as the filter? Doesn't make sense to me either as I would assume that filter simply looks on your local IP range but apparently not?

Comment

My command string for the server follows. For obvious reasons, passwords and logins have been replaced with fakes
                You said in your first post about login and password so we assume you DO have a gamespy login and password or else your server is probably not not going to work!

Comment

What I meant was I was using the same profile to login for the dedicated server as I was using for playing in the client. I had not realized you needed a separate profile to run a dedicated server.

Comment

Not saying you cant use just 1 profile user name and password but if you do it has to be for 1 process. If you use it for the dedicated server then that is what it should be and if for client retail game then that by itself or vice versa.

I have 2 seperate profile user name and passswords set up with gamespy on 2 seperate email addresses so theres no conflict when I join as a lan client to my dedicated server.

I can also run a retail in game dedicated or listen using the dedicated login and password and that is helpful to create command line strings for various things set up from the in game menu then transfered from that .log to the dedicated server .batch file command line.

Other things I have done just to be safe and this does NOT mean all this is needed to get the server going proper.

Patched to 1.1

Got both UDP and TCP ports forward to my server local IP in my router/modem 7777-7788, 6500,13000. I also have 27900 for UT2004 and some others for other games.

Have in my windows firewall made exception to my dedicated server .exe and retail .exe also I have ports forward/open in my windows firewall exceptions list for 3 ports UDP and TCP 6 total and 2 .exe so I have 8 exceptions in mt list related to UT3.

Probably dont need to have the TCP open on the router/modem or in windows firewall but I just did it anyway out of frustration.

Probably in order to see you server in the LAN browser and connect by click from there you will need to blanserver=true and I would not suggest doing this because im not sure if it will effect the internet connectors. It shouldnt but I really dont know in this game because its so wack. UT2004 and earlier this was not and issue and worked quite differently.

Make it blanserver=false and as a lan client connect from the internet browser manually using the server local IP, open 192.168.0.???

Make sure you have the proper local IP for the server machine. From the server machine go to start then run and type in cmd then press enter then from the box flashing cursur type in ipconfig then press enter. That will show the server machines local IP first line and that is the IP for ports forward and manual LAN connection.

Now you really should post your dedicated server.log data so we can see if you have issues there the one primary being FSTUN client resolvement so lets see your server.log! Boot the server then shut it down then go to that log and copy and paste ALL the boot data so we can see!

All this information to your questions has been answered countless times in this forum because I have personally wrote much of this stuff out several times so please read the other posts next time!

Comment

Originally posted by ANick View Post
                      All this information to your questions has been answered countless times in this forum because I have personally wrote much of this stuff out several times so please read the other posts next time!
                      Thankls for the help ANick. I must point out however that I did read all other posts on this topic before starting my own thread. I searched and read not only through here at Epic Games but also all over the net - BeyondUnreal, UnrealAdminWiki, etc.

The part I missed that was causing the problems was the required separate login name for the dedicated server. Everything else other than listing the server name in the LAN listing is working now. People can see it in the server browser and connect from the internet, and I can connect to it by joining directly to the LAN IP.

Comment

Ya well im gald you got it going but the seperate gamespy login and password issue is discussed not more than 5 or 6 threads below this one so you must not have looked too hard !

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=597390

Its also all here in this FAQ sticky first post at the top!

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...=gamespy+login

Comment

Originally posted by ANick View Post
                          Ya well im gald you got it going but the seperate gamespy login and password issue is discussed not more than 5 or 6 threads below this one so you must not have looked too hard !

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=597390

Its also all here in this FAQ sticky first post at the top!

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...=gamespy+login
                          I'm not looking to start a war here over how "hard" I did or did not look. I believe I did my due dilligence in my research and that's all I can really say. You are correct that I overlooked that thread - my bad.

Thanks to all who helped on this.

Comment

Working...
                          X