I was just testing and found out......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just testing and found out......

Ok I'll see if Epic will give me tech support on this forum on this Issue I have with their software.......

I just uploaded a custom map and I was just testing and
    found out there is no compression when downloading the custom map from the server. Is there a fix for this? Normally I would not complain about this but some of these maps run about 50-80 megs and I really dont think people are going to wait to download a uncompressed 50 meg file. I know I would not. So again is there a fix for this?

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586810

Compression is supposed to come in Patch 2.

Comment

I dont know if you work for Epic but thanks for the info. Doesnt look like ill be running any of those awesome maps on my server! Sorry Map makers I'll have to wait till Epic can get their software fixed before I can add any custom maps. User's are not going to wait 10-15 mins just download a uncompressed map.... Sorry! Back to running a stock server. sniff ...sniff

Comment

How can this be I have been on servers in UT3 and they had fast map d/l off the server. I have been hunting for the answer w/ no luck so far on how the server admin fixed it. I run a UT3 Server and I got my map d/l working but it is slow to d/l map to player on server. And like I said I have been on UT3 servers w/ fast map d/l to the player. So I know there has to be a fix and I need to find it for my server as I want my custom maps. I rent / have set up a Map d/l area and it works fast just not when you connect to my UT3 server and d/l the map. Can Epic or a server admin spell it out for me how its done. What am I doing wrong??

Comment

the fix is (until compression works) to host with a provider that has a fast upload. I run my servers on a fiber line with 50 meg upload.

Probly if ur running a server from home u have under 1meg upload, cable and dsl companies are great to tell you how fast your download is, but if u check the fine print often times u only have a 384 or 768k upload.

Comment

I rent my UT3 server and my web space for my UT3 map d/l area. Nothing is run from home but the FTP work I do on the UT3 Server. Like I said I have been on UT3 servers w/ a fast d/l for the map so I know it works on other servers. So I am banking I screwed up somehow in the set up of it all or did not add something.

My map d/l link in my browser is fast but when you connect to my UT3 server the map d/l is very slow.

Comment

hmm... really all u need to do is point it

edit the utengine.ini
              [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
              RedirectToURL=http://somewebserver.net/ut3/
              UseCompression=False
              ProxyServerPort=
              ProxyServerHost=

Note that a trailing slash (/) is required at the end of the path.

now on the web server that will host the file, simply make a folder called ut3 and put ur maps into it (uncompressed for now).

(i just used ut3 folder name as example, doesnt need to actually be ut3.).

Comment

then to see if it works web to it and see if u can download files.

for example i can web to and download directly from
                http://uz2.gameservers.net/ut3/ (a public ut3 redirect server). U could try using the public server and see if that gives u better results as well.

Comment

I did all that Havok and nothing has made my map d/l off my server fast. I did what you said and same thing slow map d/l off the server. I am starting to think my custom maps are in the wrong spot on my server?

Comment

This is how I have my custom maps set up on the server I rent.
                    UT3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Comment

I fixed my slow map d/l issue :}

Comment

Cornholio
                        are you from OB clan by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by C18 Sirus View Post
                          Cornholio
                          are you from OB clan by any chance?
                          No Im not Sorry..I dont do clans!

Comment

Originally posted by PHCRadio View Post
                            I fixed my slow map d/l issue :}
                            can u post what the issue was in case others have the same prob?

Comment

I would like to know

I would like to know how to fix the slow download issue, so I can expand our UT3 server's maplist beyond the stock ones. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X