Crashing issue...please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashing issue...please help

Hi guys. I posted this over in the "general troubleshooting" forum, but thought you server admin types might have a better handle on it, so...

I just got the game, install went fine. Single player runs well. No issues during actual game play at all. However, the game hangs for a brief second and then reboots the whole system automatically during A) the "map loading" screen after I've found a game on one of the servers from the list. or B) after I've played a game online on one of said servers and have hit "disconnect". Only ever happens during those two times....sometimes will crash and reboot trying to get on, sometimes trying to get off... what gives? I am not running a firewall at all on this machine (other than the XP one), and have anti-virus and anti-spy disabled completely when attempting to play.

E6600 C2D
    Asus WiFi AP Solo
    2 Gig RAM
    8800GTS (the 320MB version)
    XP SP2

Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated!

Originally posted by I||matic View Post
    Hi guys. I posted this over in the "general troubleshooting" forum, but thought you server admin types might have a better handle on it, so...

I just got the game, install went fine. Single player runs well. No issues during actual game play at all. However, the game hangs for a brief second and then reboots the whole system automatically during A) the "map loading" screen after I've found a game on one of the servers from the list. or B) after I've played a game online on one of said servers and have hit "disconnect". Only ever happens during those two times....sometimes will crash and reboot trying to get on, sometimes trying to get off... what gives? I am not running a firewall at all on this machine (other than the XP one), and have anti-virus and anti-spy disabled completely when attempting to play.

E6600 C2D
    Asus WiFi AP Solo
    2 Gig RAM
    8800GTS (the 320MB version)
    XP SP2

Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated!
    Hello,

Hmm, admittedly, I have had the crash at the map loading screen, but it was due to a corrupt map on my own system. It has never been severe enough to reboot my system however.

Do you get a crashdump from Windows? BSOD? or just a full reboot? A full reboot would tell me that some kind of hardware issue is occurring.

Are you using the wireless card to play? I knew someone who seemed to be having issues like this due to faulty WLAN card drivers. I can also get another system in my house to do a complete reboot without BSOD if I push too much data through the WLAN card as well.

If you are using a wireless card, this might be a place to check for drivers, because otherwise it would still sound like some kind of hardware issue IMO.

Just my thoughts..

Lexx000

Comment

This computer is wireless...onboard wireless on the Asus Mobo. I will check for drivers...this was another person's suggestion on another thread as well.

I don't get the typical BSOD...it just reboots without warning (although a blue screen flashes up there for 1/10th of a second right before the reboot)

Comment

I think we are onto something.

Hmm, so it is likely this.

Unless it is very inconvenient, can you attempt to run the game on this PC using your network card instead?

My brother has an ASUS board as well, and he was getting weird reboots, except in his case, we both believe it was due to a NIC driver update that came from Windows Update.

Coming to think of it, the other pc in the house that is wireless had an issue in using the DLink WLAN utility in combination with MS Windows Update drivers and the Dlink Wireless Supplicant (the DLink WLAN utility).

I have an idea. Depending on how well you know your computer. You can try installing the WLAN driver ONLY for your NIC. Remove the WLAN utility that it uses and try using WZC (Wireless Zero Config) as the wireless supplicant.

Alternatively, if you do have a driver update that came from Windows Update, try using that driver, without the WLAN utility that comes with your card.

The first test above, which is to go hardwired altogether can help you create a complete confirmation that it is INDEED a WLAN card driver issue. If you can reproduce the issue using a LAN cable, then there is something else to look at, like memory modules or something else. However, if the issue goes away completely when you are wired, then dude, I would definitely say that I would go the route of testing a combination of Wlan Utility (Wireless Supplicant), drivers from the vendor or drivers from MS.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lexx000

Comment

There is sticky about ASUS boards and LAN drivers

In the troubleshooting sticky or tracked issues, forget exactly where, says for ASUS boards that your onboard LAN drivers are a problem. You need to update the driver or disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS and use an addon pci card.

Comment

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE! As it turns out, a simple windows update to the WLAN driver did the trick. I've played a few dozen online games since and haven't been booted once. I did, however, just get Crysis, so that is monopolizing all my time at the moment.

THANKS AGAIN! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
            X