Liinux Server Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liinux Server Release?

Yep me again. Now that the first patch is released is there an expected release date for the Linux server? We had seen this quote circulating, so perhaps a little information will help prevent people from jumping to conclusions --

This is the quote from Ryan Gordon (icculus)
    "Very very soon for the server. We're ironing out last-minute things, and will probably ship in sync with the Windows patch."

Good question, we are waiting for the release of the Linux dedicated server too.

Comment

I waiting for it too so what wgs can put his server up :P

Comment

I think it should be out fairly soon now that patch 1.1 has been put out officially... I can smell it... we are almost there.

Comment

soon(tm)

Comment

I love EPIC! i will buy ever singelgame the will release! for sure!

Comment

The Linux server will probably be released when 'it is done', and also 'very very soon'... in the mean time most of our clan is playing other FP Shooter games released recently.

We will get back to UT when 'we are done' too...

Seriously, next time just hire more programmers and polish the game before release, that seems to work for other FP Shooter games released recently...

Comment

Still no news on the Linux release. From the admin mailing list when this was asked about after the patch release:

Originally posted by Jeff
                As soon as we do, this will be the first place we share to good news!

Jeff
                There's several greek myths & legends around why it's not out yet. Ranging from Ageia not having the Phys-X software developed for Linux yet, to legal issues over middleware. But as soon as it's out, you'll know... There'll be posts about it everywhere

Comment

Is the Phys-X engine required for a Linux *server*?

Comment

this thread will be locked sooner than the linux release will be out, thats for sure

Comment

That's fine. I'm getting closer to putting my UT3 CE on eBay for half price.

Comment

I have been very very idle in the last two weeks concerning any Serverstuff around UT3. I had a Virtual machine set up to experiment with the Windows Dedicated Servers but got fed up with all the Beta patching done, and on Dec 5th, the power for the Server was cut off due to maintenance issues in the hosting facility it is located in. Since then i was too lazy to bring up the Virtual machine again, and all my UT3 Servers (was running 4 by that time) haven´t been brought up again since then, as nobody (and I really mean NOBODY) from my clan was even noticing that the Servers were gone... Well atm most of the people simply went back to play UT2004 here, 2 went to get Hellgate:London, 1 got seriously infected with World of Warcraft, and one is even playing Crysis Online. I myself am also playing UT2004 TAM each and every night since 2 weeks again. I still have UT3 installed on my Box, and yesterday i even played for almost an hour (1 hour in 2 weeks), but untill the Linux dedicated Server is out i said to my clanmates i won´t bother touching the Virtual machine anymore, and nobody complained, as it really isn´t necessary for us to provide that Service as nobody in the clan wants to "practice" UT3 on our own servers anyway...

The only thing i can say from deep within my heart concerning UT3 and this Linux Dedicated Server ordeal is a big fat *YAWN*- who cares anymore anyways...

This thread will be closed sooner as someone can say :"What issues with the Linux dedicated Server, so ....

Honestly this has been the most disappointing Gamerelease for me in years.
                        The old "It´s done when it´s done" Policy of EPIC ruled, although people complained about that too. But this new policy of "very very soon..." and rushed out premature Code is the worse path take.

But i got a Laptop as a premature X-mas present, so i got enough stuff to do compiling programs on that laptop and configuring stuff there, so i dn´t need UT3 Servers of any kind to spend my time with ;oP

Comment

It's being held up for legal reasons :/
                          I don't know the specifics.

Comment

Yeah, we all know, it is held up for legal reasons for ages now, that really isn´t anything new, or even remotely interesting for today. It also is released very very soon now for weeks...

Doesn´t rellay matter why, and how, fact is, it still isn´t released. And that about sums it up.

Most of us are waiting for some working Linux Dedicated Server files now since October 12th, since the day, the Demo got released. We are approaching X-mas rather fast now... I don´t even care to do the math, of how many days this has been...

Comment

Originally posted by headfog View Post
                              Is the Phys-X engine required for a Linux *server*?
                              No, dedicated server version do not need Ageia to run... or at least I would not think so.

The Linux client patch will probably not use it as I do not think Ageia have a Linux version of their driver set.

Comment

Working...
                              X