Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redirect is it working now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Redirect is it working now?

    Is the redirect working now with this new patch, see at least one server with it working ~uxc~ ctf server seems to have it running. Could someone enlighten us admins as to what we need to do now?

    Thx

    #2
    yes it is and you just use the same method as in ut2004

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by nasrott View Post
      Is the redirect working now with this new patch, see at least one server with it working ~uxc~ ctf server seems to have it running. Could someone enlighten us admins as to what we need to do now?

      Thx
      Sure, just slap this in your servers UTEngine.ini

      Code:
      [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
      RedirectToURL=http://your.redirect.host/somefolder/
      UseCompression=False
      ProxyServerPort=
      ProxyServerHost=
      Unfortunately compression is still not available.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by BRKA View Post
        Sure, just slap this in your servers UTEngine.ini

        Code:
        [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
        RedirectToURL=http://your.redirect.host/somefolder/
        UseCompression=False
        ProxyServerPort=
        ProxyServerHost=
        Unfortunately compression is still not available.
        Hi i'm new to the whole UT server admin side and i've seen alot of chat about this redirect function, would anyone be able to fill me in on what it is please?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Gumbie View Post
          Hi i'm new to the whole UT server admin side and i've seen alot of chat about this redirect function, would anyone be able to fill me in on what it is please?
          It allows the server to redirect players to a URL where they can download mutators, maps and other content they are missing.
          It is done transparent to the client. The main advantage here is speed since all redir downloads go via http while "direct"
          downloads go, well yes "directly" from your ut3 server at very low rate (not because the server itself is slow but the fact
          that high speed downloads would make it unusable for playing - imagine 12 players downloading a 40 meg VCTF map all at the same time).

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BRKA View Post
            It allows the server to redirect players to a URL where they can download mutators, maps and other content they are missing.
            It is done transparent to the client. The main advantage here is speed since all redir downloads go via http while "direct"
            downloads go, well yes "directly" from your ut3 server at very low rate (not because the server itself is slow but the fact
            that high speed downloads would make it unusable for playing - imagine 12 players downloading a 40 meg VCTF map all at the same time).
            Also -- the protocol used by UT to transmit the files is very slow in comparison to HTTP. I did some tests between unreal:// downloads and http:// and the speed comparisons are significant.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by headfog View Post
              Also -- the protocol used by UT to transmit the files is very slow in comparison to HTTP. I did some tests between unreal:// downloads and http:// and the speed comparisons are significant.
              When using redirect, UT uses the HTTP protocol to transmit the files. How else do you think you can use a standard web server to serve them up on TCP port 80?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Dubious View Post
                When using redirect, UT uses the HTTP protocol to transmit the files. How else do you think you can use a standard web server to serve them up on TCP port 80?
                My point was comparison between NON-redirect and redirect. Think just 10 seconds longer about the content you're reading.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by headfog View Post
                  My point was comparison between NON-redirect and redirect. Think just 10 seconds longer about the content you're reading.
                  The protocol is not the limiting factor when downloading maps directly from the game server - the game server sends the maps at the configured MaxClientRate speed, just as if it were sending game data to a player. Granted, its not HTTP and its not optimized for file transfer, but if you have a MaxClientRate of, say, 1000000 then its going to send the file much faster than if your MaxClientRate is 10000. No need to be a douche about it, either.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Dubious View Post
                    The protocol is not the limiting factor when downloading maps directly from the game server - the game server sends the maps at the configured MaxClientRate speed, just as if it were sending game data to a player. Granted, its not HTTP and its not optimized for file transfer, but if you have a MaxClientRate of, say, 1000000 then its going to send the file much faster than if your MaxClientRate is 10000. No need to be a douche about it, either.
                    The protocol is indeed a limiting factor in addition to the client rate.

                    Signed
                    Vinegar & Water

                    Comment


                      #11
                      How does my http:// file structure need to be? since it cant compress. Do i say just stick my mod in the web dir i specified in my ini folder structure and all?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yep, that's it. Don't forget the trailing slash in the URL in your ini.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I don't think its working right. I am trying to set up CustomUT for redirect. the files are in a folder myhost/files/server/UTgame/config and cookedpc ect. and have this codeset is in my engine.ini

                          [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
                          RedirectToURL=http://myhost/files/servers/
                          UseCompression=False
                          ProxyServerPort=
                          ProxyServerHost=


                          am i missing something? I know 2k4 had an additional part of code in the ini that said AllowserverDL=false or something?

                          Edit: It took about 1:30 to download a 931kb file connecting to the server. I know my http host sends to me a whole lot faster than that. but does that mean its not working? i read posts from you all that say it makes a good bit of difference. When i DL'd the same Mut from a OGL server (prepatch) it took me about 5 mins for less than 2 megs of files.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I am having the same issue as Wicked. I have patch 1.1 install and I added this code into the UTEngine.ini .

                            [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
                            RedirectToURL=http://myhost/files/servers/
                            UseCompression=False
                            ProxyServerPort=
                            ProxyServerHost=

                            Comment


                              #15
                              not working for me either

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X