Windows Freezing at Map Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks for the advice. The retail install on the server box is only used for hosting, so no worries there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just be cautious installing the dedicated server version on the same machine as a retail install. Use the -nohomedir switch at the end of your command line or you risk overwriting personal settings if the intention is that the machine would still be used sometimes to play directly on when not in use as a server.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'll have to give that a try, then.

Still haven't figured out the network issue with 1.1, though (and I've read Dubious's FAQ).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update for Ned and the others in this thread also having a problem:

Running the Dedicated Server Version...

No WINDOWS FREEZE AT MAP SWITCH! YAY

Watching the console the whole process of switching maps seems to follow a different process when running the dedicated server version.

Showing up in the browser as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Creole Ned View Post
    Scuzzbuster, I may also give the standalone server a shot and see what happens, assuming I can get the server to launch at all after 1.1. :P
    I'll post results when I start my server off the dedicated only version. I just get this uneasy feeling that something about the retail version...even when running dedicated and not using the GPU (or supposed to) that something is happening with the vid or sound drivers during the map travel process...but I would point out that the same thing happend when I was running catalyst drivers on the same machine with an ATI card and now with a Geforece card and the forceware drivers.

And Dubious...I formally offer you the best that money can buy...just not my money which is why i'm trying to run my own standalone server rather than renting one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
    BTW...Thanks for the couple of years you ran our 2k3 server for us at Factory! But no thanks for stealing the UT2K3.COM domain from me!

You're were an incredible server host for us, BTW. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're the same Dubious
    Yes, I'm the same guy. Thanks for the memories. I sold the company but I didn't sell out. I'm no longer renting servers, I'm just helping in these forums where I can. Of course, if someone handed me a large check and asked for the best that money can buy I'd be happy to oblige.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I should have clarified that I am running my dedicated server from the retail install, not the standalone dedicated server. I'm also running XP Professional on the server box, not Home, although it appears that the issue isn't specific to Home or Pro, anyway.

Scuzzbuster, I may also give the standalone server a shot and see what happens, assuming I can get the server to launch at all after 1.1. :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Dub. I'm going to DL the dedicated server version and try it.

BTW...Thanks for the couple of years you ran our 2k3 server for us at Factory! But no thanks for stealing the UT2K3.COM domain from me!

You're were an incredible server host for us, BTW. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're the same Dubious

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
    Has anyone had better luck with the dedicated server version on XP rather than trying to launch dedicated from the retail?
    I run my servers under XP because my mobo chipset doesnt have drivers for Win2003 Server. I have no problems running the dedicated server installation.

You are the first person that I have heard of who has this problem. If your PC is locking up hard then I dont know what to tell you. Back in the days of UT99 I built a dual proc server to host games. It kept locking up at random times. After a LOT of troubleshooting the problem was narrowed down to an unstable mobo. After replacing the mobo all ran well. Only UT99 locked it up - it would run for weeks as long as I wasnt running servers on it. Figured Id mention that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bigbot View Post
    hi !
    for the same reason i have installed Vista .
    For me with Vista ut3 Server work fine and not crash .
    Thanks, upgrading to Vista would not be my first choice in resolving the problem.

Has anyone had better luck with the dedicated server version on XP rather than trying to launch dedicated from the retail?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi !
    for the same reason i have installed Vista .
    For me with Vista ut3 Server work fine and not crash .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    okay, Epic, any ideas? Fresh clean install of windows yields the same results. When you launch a dedicatated server from the retail game it freezes at the first map switch. I've tried every permutation to get this thing to stay alive past the first map change to no avail, inluding adding mutes in (based on the observation above).

When I launch a dedicated server from the retail game, it seemes to catch as it initially launches (sound or game music from menus starts skipping) and from there, it either hangs the machine right off the bat, or WILL hang the machine when it hits the first map switch. If I can get it launched, the server runs beautifully, the first map runs smoothly, but regardless of map or gametype, that first seamless travel to the next map just kills the machine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Creole Ned View Post
    Oddly, it did not do this one time when I was testing a mutator a friend had made. I was on the server connecting from my other PC running with a single bot and the server switched maps fine until I logged off. Why it worked once and never before or since, I can't say.
    Wish I had read this before I started the clean install. This is really a bummer if there's a basic incompatability with XP Home. I may have to try one of the the retail mutes and see if it keeps chugging through a map change...unless of course the clean install DID do anything.

Any more reports of this would be appreciated.

I would especially like to know if anyone had any luck switching over to the dedicated server version after having this problem running a ded server from the retail install.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heh, I've gone from map switches crashing the machine to the 1.1 patch preventing me from launching the server at all due to this error message that pops up:

Your network configuration is not compatible with hosting matches. Please check your router's manual for instructions on setting up 'Port Forwarding' or a 'DMZ server'.

Note I have the necessary ports enabled and have otherwise not modified the game at all except to apply the patch. Off to research yet another issue. Fun!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can't help you, unfortunately, but did want to let you know I've had the exact same issue with my WinXP dedicated server. It locks up the entire PC when the next map loads.

Oddly, it did not do this one time when I was testing a mutator a friend had made. I was on the server connecting from my other PC running with a single bot and the server switched maps fine until I logged off. Why it worked once and never before or since, I can't say.

I'll be applying the retail 1.1 patch and see if it makes any difference. I'll look for this thread to report my results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X