cannot see customized models on LAN server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot see customized models on LAN server

Is anyone else having issues with customized characters not showing in net games properly? I am doing some testing with 2 PC's over a LAN and starting a server with one PC using the retail edition. When I join with the second PC there are then two players in game. One of the PC's player models do not show properly and it shows the default character even though both players have their characters custom (helmets, shoulder pads etc) and the check for seeing custom characters is activated on both clients. Is there a server ini file I need to allow custom characters in???

I'm not sure, so dont quote me on this, but ive heard that epic needs to approve your custom models before they can be used online...so this might be the problem?

Comment

why would they have to approve it, they are models that came with the game and I used the character menu to add a helmet and change the shoulder pads that they created. Plus I am on a LAN... this is odd

Comment

I can't see the correct models/skins on a LAN that I created either.
        Must be a bug.

Comment

Im not sure the commandline for this but im sure some .ini config is needed if your not starting a dedicated from ingame.

If you can start a dedicated from in game you can tic use custom charactors in the set up before server start.

Then if you shut that server down and go to the server log in Documents and Settings\YOU\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Logs you can see the command line with many numbers and circles at the bottom which is where this area is configure from your profile.

You can copy and paste that whole command line to binaries and boot the server from .bat or command prompt.

To get *** o work outside of that im not sure the commandline? to enter but I know your relevant .ini would also need to be configured!

Comment

I found this in my UTGAME.ini

Code:
            [AllowCustomCharacters UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
            OptionSet=Network
            DataStoreMarkup=<OnlinePlayerData:ProfileData.AllowCustomCharacters>
            OptionType=UTOT_CollectionCheckBox
            do you know what this is for?

Comment

after more testing I think it's a game bug too... I hope they fix this for the 1.1 official release. I'm sick of seeing the same **** character for everyone. doesn't happen all the time though, seems random to the clients.

Comment

OK, this topic can be closed as I have recieved an email with how it works:

The options for custom characters that are exposed to menu are client side options. However, we don't currently construct characters while gameplay is going on, so you won't get the correct meshes for players that join after you until the next match. Having an option for high end systems to allow character creation during gameplay was on the list, but hasn't made it in yet.

-Matt
                Tested, after map change the models were as they should be

Comment

I too have same issue, with MP skins in games. intermitent on both clients. Must be bug, hope they fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by CVROY View Post
                    OK, this topic can be closed as I have recieved an email with how it works:

Tested, after map change the models were as they should be
                    W00t!!! That makes sense! I got same "bug" playing on LAN with my m8.
                    Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthWader View Post
                      I too have same issue, with MP skins in games. intermitent on both clients. Must be bug, hope they fix it!
                      You apparently did not read the post directly before yours.

Comment

This is another email I received

If a player joins the game after the match has started, other players will see him with the default character, as custom character construction only occurs before the match starts.

- Steve
                        Which I think is good BTW since there will be no impact on the client PC's playing the game just to build the character. Helps out lower end PC's... there are however some people that have machines that can build the character during game play because the specs are high... that will be added later.

Comment

So I assume this is the SAME issue as defaulting back to the demo default model on team switches as well, not just when joining in mid match?

Comment

Working...
                          X