Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Any 3d programs that are free - legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Any 3d programs that are free - legal?

    Are there any 3d modeling programs that I can use for UT3 for free legally?

    Is blender any good? Is a trial of 3ds max 9 good (I have a demo disc from a book)?

    I want a high quality 3d program that would be perfect for UT3.

    #2
    I haven't really used Blender that much but for a free 3D modelling program it's probably the best out there. All the people I've spoken to highly recommend it.

    One of the big advantages with Blender is that it will run on just about anything, even a netbook.

    Comment


      #3
      I got 3ds Max 2009 now. It a trial disc. But I can add add-ons such as ActorX and keep reinstalling it every 30 days. So yaaah!

      Comment


        #4
        Blender is an amazing piece of free software. The learning curve is very steep (especially when getting into animating), but if you can get comfortable with the interface, there's nothing it can't do (it even has it's own embedded Game Engine!).

        In particular, if you have to UV map something by hand, Blender has (IMO) the BEST UV mapping editor.

        Add to that a whole lot of user-created plugins and a very active community.

        If you do decide to go the Blender route, might I suggest 2 books that I found invaluable when starting out in Blender:

        - "The Essential Blender" (Written by the The Blender Foundation, it will get you off to a fast start getting used to the interface and workflow).

        - "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" (From the Basics of animating simple models, to creating a fully rigged model and using them to create complex animations for characters and even facial animation).

        The second one there is only needed if you intend to create animated models (characters and weapons), but I highly recommend the first book, it's kind of an instruction manual to Blender and how to use it most effectively.

        Comment


          #5
          Blender is free program. It good tool to use and easy to use once you get to know how to set up some part up. There are tons of tutorial and video tutorial about blender.

          Comment


            #6
            If you are interest in learning only Maya is a good solution,you cant save.There are cheap
            3d programs but Blender is free and well supporting tool.Games prefer 3dsMax and Xsi(good
            tools for conversion and best interconnect for game engines)

            Comment


              #7
              I miss the old days when you could have Maya Personal Learning Edition for free... Autodesk is gonna regret buying out Alias and getting rid of that option.

              Comment


                #8
                Big CORP's make out life better everyday dont they ?
                Where is that terrorist when we need one.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Is anyone using SoftImage? I thought they were giving particular support to Unreal 3 engine. I started working through the tutorials and learning the interface, but had a HD crash since then.

                  Btw, Autodesk owns SoftImage now, so that free option is there, just under a different name. And they're making it harder to find their free 'Mod Tool' version, but it's still available, and still free.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by DokEnkephalin View Post
                    Is anyone using SoftImage? I thought they were giving particular support to Unreal 3 engine. I started working through the tutorials and learning the interface, but had a HD crash since then.

                    Btw, Autodesk owns SoftImage now, so that free option is there, just under a different name. And they're making it harder to find their free 'Mod Tool' version, but it's still available, and still free.
                    I have both XSI ModTool 6.1 & 7.5 non-commercial use. It not that good plus it not easy to use. You can download it at the autodesk site XSI page...(7.5 version). I found 6.1 from cnet.com. If only autodesk would make a non-commercial/free edition of 3ds max for modders....That would be awesome!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
                      Are there any 3d modeling programs that I can use for UT3 for free legally?

                      Is blender any good? Is a trial of 3ds max 9 good (I have a demo disc from a book)?

                      I want a high quality 3d program that would be perfect for UT3.
                      I believe you can get 3dsmax for free if you're a student. Just do a google search.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by waterxyro View Post
                        I believe you can get 3dsmax for free if you're a student. Just do a google search.
                        Um. It a 13-month trial plus you require a teacher from high school or collage to give you permission. My teacher said no. The autodesk education suite full edition with disc, that which contains Maya, 3ds Max, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, XSI (all 2011) for $360.00! I am thinking of buying that but I am still in high school. I am going to collage in 1 year. I will ask my collage that I am going to see if they will just give it to me for free completely.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This is a kinda old bump to this thread. But the Autodesk 13-month trials only require a .edu address. There is no submission process or reference required. Perhaps if you are in high school a teacher would have to confirm your identity; Students at Universities including community college can easily start their download of maya2011 or max2011 in 2-3 minutes after confirming they do own the .edu address provided.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by OddlyOrdinary View Post
                            This is a kinda old bump to this thread. But the Autodesk 13-month trials only require a .edu address. There is no submission process or reference required. Perhaps if you are in high school a teacher would have to confirm your identity; Students at Universities including community college can easily start their download of maya2011 or max2011 in 2-3 minutes after confirming they do own the .edu address provided.
                            Yeah I know. Planning on getting 3ds max soon and photoshop.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              You can get the autodesk education suite for $350 in this student website below. You get 3ds max 2011, maya 2011 (for PC & mac), Mudbox 2011 (pc & mac), XSI 7.5 full edition, and motion builder 2011 (pc & mac). That sound like the best deal!!! If you are a high school student or collage student, you can buy this, and even when you are out of collage by then, you can just upgrade instead of buy a $3000 copy of 3ds max.

                              http://www.studica.com/products/prod...roductid=61716

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X