Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSUC Phase 2 VCTF Level Finalists

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I get what you're sayin, everyone has their own taste. However as a professional level designer, I cannot stand for shortcuts in maps. A map must be well detailed, have realistic lighting, a believable environment that immerses you in it, and makes you feel you are actually in that environment when playing.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
      I suppose you'd like to be a judge and pick by "personal taste" then?
      Yes I would. I would judge the maps on these:

      Gameplay: Is the VCTF map played with to much of a DM feel?
      Collision: can I hide in a rock or wall with the flag because of foobar collision (cause you can on 2 of the maps that made it to the finalists).

      FPS: Do they stay in the Green or drop to yellow, or how about the red like 3 of the finalists.

      Beauty: How artistic is the map

      Work: How much custom content did the user put into the map and how much of it was stock package stuff.

      Playability: Some of the maps are just a spam fest, some are well rounded, put them on a server and let majority vote rule.

      *******: Do they crash the server (2 of these maps crashed our server 1 our of every 4 times played).

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
        However as a professional level designer, I cannot stand for shortcuts in maps.
        *Cough Cough*

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by [H3D]Pendragon View Post
          Yes I would. I would judge the maps on these:

          Gameplay: Is the VCTF map played with to much of a DM feel?
          Collision: can I hide in a rock or wall with the flag because of foobar collision (cause you can on 2 of the maps that made it to the finalists).

          FPS: Do they stay in the Green or drop to yellow, or how about the red like 3 of the finalists.

          Beauty: How artistic is the map

          Work: How much custom content did the user put into the map and how much of it was stock package stuff.

          Playability: Some of the maps are just a spam fest, some are well rounded, put them on a server and let majority vote rule.

          *******: Do they crash the server (2 of these maps crashed our server 1 our of every 4 times played).
          That's not being biased though, that's being objective.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by evilmrfrank View Post
            *Cough Cough*
            Do you need a coughdrop or something? Seems like a bad cough.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by TheVoid34 View Post
              I'm not sure what criteria they were looking at, but I know Boilerplate drops my computer down to about 15-20fps (I get a good 50-60 on Suspense) and Wastelands drops it to like 6fps. Whatcha gonna do?
              I wouldn't get GTAIV for PC then cause it runs far slower than either of those maps. I'm due for a processor upgrade myself as games like I just mentioned are starting to require dual cores now.
              As for how they pick em in the MSUC, they surprise me each time. I thought my WAR version of Wastelands would make it over the vCTF version but it ended up being the opposite. Moltencore didn't even make Honorable mention for best graphics which everyone raved about being its overall best quality.
              (shrug) - I'm just glad to be a part of the whole thing. Epic has proven time and again that they are the best at supporting the mapping & modding community. You don't see any other developers shelling out this kind of money on community contests.

              Comment


                #22
                I submitted 9 VCTF maps, my ugliest one, Kick in the Face (moving maze) made it to honorable mentions, but none of my better ones did...

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by [H3D]Pendragon View Post
                  I submitted 9 VCTF maps, my ugliest one, Kick in the Face (moving maze) made it to honorable mentions, but none of my better ones did...
                  Well you can always email them and ask them why none of them made it.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
                    Well you can always email them and ask them why none of them made it.
                    Or instead of making 9 maps you can focus on one map and submit it.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by wael View Post
                      Or instead of making 9 maps you can focus on one map and submit it.
                      True that, lol

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Most of the maps look nice, but gameplaywise they have a lot of bugs, like no avril and such. Or they are simply too big for vctf.
                        my personal favourite is Traincrossing, that one has a great gameplay but it's pretty bright. still, you get used to it after a few minutes.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Beastenator View Post
                          Most of the maps look nice, but gameplaywise they have a lot of bugs, like no avril and such. Or they are simply too big for vctf.
                          my personal favourite is Traincrossing, that one has a great gameplay but it's pretty bright. still, you get used to it after a few minutes.
                          Hey now slow down a minute there, mine's got an avril

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
                            Hey now slow down a minute there, mine's got an avril
                            Movingmazes? didn't play it, coulnd't find another download link than fileplanet.

                            Alexandria however, has no avril, which is horrible because the map is filled with mantas.
                            Badvibration, which was second, had a bad gameplay as well imo. no avril, and the hellbenders are far too deadly. even when playing against novice bots. (I usually play on masterfull)

                            Comment


                              #29
                              No, mine is VCTF-Valhara which I consider to be well designed.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
                                No, mine is VCTF-Valhara which I consider to be well designed.
                                haha, you would say that Yet this is despite the fact a number of people made you aware of significant bugs and problems with the map.
                                Within 2 mins of first playing it, I found I could hide myself entirely inside a hill. Thats a pretty serious issue right there. But you chose to ignore it And thats just for starters..
                                Sorry, but that isn't my idea of "well designed" at all. Good luck none the less though..

                                Pop!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X