Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spambox

Warfare\Onslaught is poorly understood

Spambox is a work of understated genius. I'm not saying it's the best entry in the warfare maps, but to say it's the worst is missing a trick. (It's the only Warfare map not to make it to the finals.)

Spambox is deceptivelty tactical, ridiculously intense, and one of the few maps where the best team invariably wins.

Obviosuly the judges did not set up a Lan, had a few beers and a pizza to decide which maps play well. I hope that they use that as one criteria to decide the winner!

Riiiiight...

Comment

"Spambox is a work of understated genius."

+1

Comment

The fact that it's a remake rather than a brand new map might have had something to do with it.

Comment

To be fair there are other remakes that have made it into the finals though.

Comment

Spambox is a really fun map. It's a great change of pace from the other less crazy maps.

Comment

spambox is the new crack. i hit that right when i get home from work now, at least one round with like 15 exp bots. warmup overload!

Comment

Spambox r0x. When I saw that it had not made it to the finals I was disappointed. Upon a little reflection, which I still have not really put into words, it made sense.

I had/have not seen the 'original' Spambox so that didn't figure into it...the map was new/original to me. In some way the 'sense' I made of it being eliminated had to do with "Make Something Unreal." Spambox is a nice looking map and I love playing it, but it is not "unreal" ... it especially is not an "unreal" use of UEd ... it is a one room cube.

Comment

Spambox is a fun map - this is definitely true. The reason it probably didn't succeed, is because firstly, it's a remake, and any genius (accidental or intentional) that went into it's original design was the work of the original author.

Other than that, the map takes less technical skill and effort than a lot of the others, due to it's one room and very simple nature.

So it's a great map, but two things to be taken into account with an entry (excellence of concept and technical skill) - are in one way or another missing compared to some of the other entries.

Comment

To be fair the author had to create Haxnodes. I'm not sure how technically involved that is, but it's not run of the mill.

Comment

Visually, there were also probably some points deducted for not having any lighting (the whole map was ambient-lit). But on a deeper note, there is the issue of effort. It's hard to compare a map that a mapper spent 2 months of creating, tweaking, testing, and comparing that to what some may call a "gimmick map" put together over a single weekend :/

Comment

Medalist or not, Spambox is in the WAR rotation on my server...along with the other MSUC entries. It's there with the others because its fun factor qualifies it regardless of its technical merits. It is a successful map.

Comment

Exactly. Spambox is the only map out there, stock or otherwise, that enables anyone with a ping of under 500 to score a lot of points if there are over 10 people on the map. So in terms of the accessibility it trounces nearly every other map out there.

Comment

From the rules:
                            All judges’ decisions are final and binding in all respects. . All Entries will be judged on a 1-100 point scale, using the following criteria: Creativity, Visuals, Innovation, Fun, Quality, Polish and Gameplay.
                            Think about the map in those terms.

Comment

I don't think they tested it that much on gameplay.

Only map in the finals with good gameplay is valley (maybe still the reason for nr1?)

Comment

Working...
                              X