Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera / Player height & Firing from hidden view <-IT'S FIXED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera / Player height & Firing from hidden view <-IT'S FIXED!

As I've mentioned in the gameplay thread, the eyeheight for 1st person is offset from the actual level of the model's eyes. If you type playersonly and walk up to an enemy in 1st person view, you will be looking over his head. In behindview you will see that they should be staring each other in the eye.

This creates the illusion in 1st person that your enemies are smaller than you, which is what people have been griping about since UT2003.

To illustrate my point better, here are some screenshots of the current height, and a proper height I approximated by crouching then taking a screenshot during the rise:

[shot]http://ut2341.com/eyecurrent.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://ut2341.com/eyefixed.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://ut2341.com/3rdref.jpg[/shot]

I don't know if changing eyeheight will affect something else badly, but lowering it slightly could only have a good effect as far as your perception of enemies being large and menacing.

From a few feet away it still makes a considerable difference:

[shot]http://ut2341.com/shortdistcurrent.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://ut2341.com/shortdistfixed.jpg[/shot]

Also, I realize behindview is a local testing feature, but please adjust the camera so that it feels the same as when you are watching your character on the hoverboard: that feels proper and big just like behindview in UT was. Now it is as though you are looking down on some avatar in an MMORPG, it's not really "behindview". This is especially important if you let servers choose whether to allow it, which I hope you do.

Updates: I realize scaling up playersize by around 10% MAY be a potentially better fix, but imo it's probably not one Epic is willing to make so late. I am actually not convinced this is the case anyway, as there are reasons this would skew other things with the current movement. I have done some play testing with the eyeheight lowered, see below:

Set utpawn baseeyeheight 30 is perfect height to look into the enemy in the eye, and I found a very interesting and positive side effect immediately with this setting. For instance play on ShangriLa, first with the regular eyeheight of 38, and stand in front of the pillar in the middle which holds the damage amp. You feel as though you should be able to easily climb it at that height, to reach the damage amp. But it is deceiving when you actually try it. Now set eyeheight to 30. Not only do enemies feel the perfect size, when you look at this pillar again you actually realize you have to use the double jump to easily get up it, and it feels much more natural to execute.

Seriously, try playing just one match completely at an eyeheight of 30, and tell me it doesn't feel much more natural running around the map, and easier to guage how high objects ACTUALLY are relative to your movement abilities (ie jumping), and where to aim on your enemies.. when you come across pickups they don't seem laying on the floor, but floating above as they are supposed to be, at a level where you can easily grab them.

The issue with the ability to fire from behind objects illustrated by other users later in this thread must be addressed as well. I leave it up to Epic to find the perfect balance, but if it is left as is this game will be broken, and there is no reason to release it that way.

Thanks.

Agreed, eyeheight seems very weird.

Comment

players look small like in ut2004 when they are close to me, in ut99 they are 10% taller..

Comment

Added screens to illustrate my case.

Comment

I agree with ya Bersy, this should be fixed and as far as I know it shouldn't be too hard (though I don't really know too much).

Comment

Very good eyes Bersy. Glad this was noticed cause firing the Flaks Alt is difficult to aim since i'm always aiming down to hit someone.

Comment

Great screens. It really illustrates your point quite well.
              There is another problem with eye height, though. Have you noticed that shots fired by your opponents come from their head and not from their gun?

Comment

+1

Agree and very well illustrated.

Comment

Yes, especially the link gun primary.. it's very noticeable that it comes from the head.

But, i really really agree on this issue, it must be fixed for the game to be completely flawless when it comes out

Comment

+1 and well spotted. This is the kind of constructive critisism UT3 needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedora.Pirate View Post
                      I agree with ya Bersy, this should be fixed and as far as I know it shouldn't be too hard (though I don't really know too much).
                      If it's anything like it was in UT200x, it's a very simple property to set in the player pawn class.

Comment

Nice one Bersy.

I hope Epic fixes this early before people get used to the Faulty eyesight.

Comment

Originally posted by Antigru View Post
                          Yes, especially the link gun primary.. it's very noticeable that it comes from the head.
                          They should make it so the secondary link fire comes from their eyes. That would be crazy!

Comment

So long as its not like bioshock where the character is seriously like 3 feet tall judging by the eye hight - its just crazy.

Comment

Agreed.
                              But i think instead of lowering eyeheight player models should be bigger, 'cos models still seem to be a little small. It would lead to the same effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X