Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

Hi
    I want to make a clan but i dont know how i can register the clan on UT,can someone help me?

Try another forum.

Comment

in wich?

Comment

lol, totally rong forum, how did you come up with Programming & UnrealScript as the right place? rofl

Comment

Even though this is the wrong forum I'll answer the question. You don't need to register a clan. There is no official list of clans.

Comment

That was both a nice gesture and a naive undermining of the way Atari set their forums up. If Atari didn't care about people posting in the correct forum, they would either have made one giant forum or named their forums '1", "2", "3" and so on. They did neither, from which you may deduce that they did not meant for questions about clans to be asked in a forum about programming.

By answering this person's question, you have failed to educate him in the way he is expected to behave on these forums. In fact, you have taught him and possibly several others that crossposting works, since some naively kind soul will answer your question anyway. So while you did him a service, you did the community as a whole a disservice.

gg, or not, depending on your perspective...

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
              That was both a nice gesture and a naive undermining of the way Atari set their forums up. If Atari didn't care about people posting in the correct forum, they would either have made one giant forum or named their forums '1", "2", "3" and so on. They did neither, from which you may deduce that they did not meant for questions about clans to be asked in a forum about programming.

By answering this person's question, you have failed to educate him in the way he is expected to behave on these forums. In fact, you have taught him and possibly several others that crossposting works, since some naively kind soul will answer your question anyway. So while you did him a service, you did the community as a whole a disservice.

gg, or not, depending on your perspective...
              And you just did the forum a disservice by attacking me. Nobody will like a forum where you can't answer someone's question without getting flamed. But just so it doesn't get any worse I suggest a moderator closes this thread.

Comment

My apologies. I meant no offense, merely to enlighten you. It appears I have failed.

Comment

Sorry, me either, didn't mean to offend
                  Just jokin wit cha

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                    My apologies. I meant no offense, merely to enlighten you. It appears I have failed.
                    Ok no problem. Things always get misunderstood on the internet. You were probably right anyway. Sorry for going off on one.

Comment

How come I dont get any backup for educating newbs who do annoying things Xyx?

I must admit, its nice that people are kind, its rare these days. However it is also true that rewarding bad behaviour only creates more of the unwanted behaviour. You can be nice, polite and tell someone they are doing wrong. As Xyx did originally

Also a lot of people need to learn to use their own eyes and ears these days and figure some things out for themselves. It doesnt take more than 5 minutes to find out an answer or at least an appropriate place to ask. If anyone reads this very page I can see right now they would see "Atari Focums > Games > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > Programming & Unrealscript" and anyone with a brain could then think... "hrm... perhaps this is not the best place for my question since it has nothing to do with either programming or unrealscript, however if I just click on the Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 link I may find a better place to ask!". Personally I would have chosen either the "Beginner's Discussion" or "General Discussion" forums, at a push "Server Administration" is more related to making clans.

So as Xyx said, should we really reward laziness or stupidity with an answer?

Another problem is the time people spend reading something that they may have no idea about (since its in an unrelated forum) could have been better spent answering a decent question and helping someone with a legitimate programming problem.

I myself learned many years ago that if I am to post a question on a forum such as these I should do as much research as I can, attempt to find out the answer myself, and if all else fails find the most appropriate place possible and provide as much detail as I can about my situation. How did I find that out? Being flamed for asking stupid questions. If you dont know your doing wrong how can you ever fix the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Thisticstic
                        I myself learned many years ago that if I am to post a question on a forum such as these I should do as much research as I can, attempt to find out the answer myself, and if all else fails find the most appropriate place possible and provide as much detail as I can about my situation. How did I find that out? Being flamed for asking stupid questions. If you dont know your doing wrong how can you ever fix the problem?
                        Heheh... That's the reason I'm so mean to noobs. I want them to learn UEd, but I want them to be able to figure out stuff on their own.

I don't know, are people these days being taught how to learn?

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                          are people these days being taught how to learn?
                          Are they ever? :bulb: I'm an ex-teacher... don't get me started on the infinite failings of the school system.

Comment

Working...
                          X