Okay i give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay i give up.

Truth be told i made a couple of simple yet fun weapons and called myself a desent programmer. Truth is I'm better at bending weapons into better ones then actually making new ones. I was able to make a mass manipulator, brick launcher, and flak wave cannon, but after that i ran out of changing ideas. However I did think of alot of actual weapon ideas. So I decided I would get serious and buy the books instead of listhening to the training videos. I bought a C++ book and a JAVA book and both have been usefull and im finally learing how to code my own programs, but...Unreal tournament doesn't operate with the same librarys and classes. I realized im going to have to learn an intirely different languade even if I can read it. Any help on where to go to learn about the librarys NOT THE CODE would be appreciated.

Looks like it'll set you back five grand to get any info on the libraries:
    http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html.../headers.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by THENUCK
      Any help on where to go to learn about the librarys <b>NOT THE CODE</b> would be appreciated.
      The class tree in the source scripts?

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/UnrealScript_Source

Comment

There really isnt much use in trying to find someone to explain to you how the thing works. You either figure it out on your own, or you dont. Thats a BIG part of programming; reading existing code and putting it all together in your mind. Without it, you are as useless as a sarcasm detector.

Comment

* Native code for not allowed for UT2004
          * Games are not allowed with the UE2Runtime

Comment

Thanks for the help guys i cant tell there is no easy explination to this question...looks like im going to have to read then intire library from top to bottom. :bored:Not looken forward to that.

Comment

I'm in this process now. It helps if you enjoy a particular game type and try to tear that game type into pieces to understand how to be the most effective player.

For instance, I love Onslaught, so I went through and figured out a bunch of nagging questions like "which weapons take down nodes the fastest in terms of damage/sec", and built lists like that.

This forced me to really read a large amount of code, and I began to learn tons and tons about how the class hierarchy works as as result (whichis what you are trying to do btw ). I am still in this process.

Get Wotgreal. You will definitely need it. Don't use Unrealed primarily because you will need the Search In Files feature of Wotgreal for crossreferencing variables, etc; it has some smart options to search the class hierarchy.

Comment

Working...
              X