Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

referencing files in your mod Package...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for your patience BoneHead, I had already done so(put the RawData in the myMod directory).

As for the .u file. I thought it would have been the first suggestion also, but it wasn't (since I had reinstalled today). The second, nope, the 'system' folder is the first added in the default.ini. The third suggestion, no as well, I have a batch file in the myMod directory that looks like this:

del .\System\myMod.u
    ..\System\ucc make -mod=myMod
    ..\System\ucc dumpint myMod.u -mod=myMod
    ..\System\ucc exportcache myMod.u -mod=myMod

obviously it doesn't delete it, because it's looking in myMod's system directory.

Comment

Try naming your .u a different name than your mod (just a hunch).

Comment

I started getting all kinds of compile errors because the targetting had changed, because my hierarchy isn't set up that way.

it goes:

[myMod]
        -Animations
        -Classes
        -Help
        -Maps
        -RawData
        ----Images
        ----Models
        -StaticMeshes
        -System
        -Textures
        myMod-make.bat
        UT2K4Mod.ini

to change the name of the .u I think I would have to put my classes folder inside of a scriptPackage.

[myMod]
        -myScriptPackage
        -----classes

then my .u file could be named myScriptPackage.u I guess. aah well.

Comment

I'd use WOTGreal for compiling, you can set it up to use the mod structure.

btw, if you changed anything in your default.ini file, did you delete the MyMod.ini file so it could make a new one with the new defaults?

Comment

ok..thanks...I'll check out that program. yeah, I always delete the myMod.ini after I make changes to default.ini

Comment

[myMod]
              -Animations
              -Classes
              -Help
              -Maps
              -RawData
              ----Images
              ----Models
              -StaticMeshes
              -System
              -Textures
              myMod-make.bat
              UT2K4Mod.ini
              That right there is why youre having all the troubles. Youre setting your MOD like a MUTATOR. Your code must be arranged into packages, or the compiler thinks your mod is a package and attempts to compile it. Thus ending up in the UT2004\System folder. The classes folder in your MyMod folder is what is causing it, thats a dead giveaway to the compiler for a package to be compiled, not a mod. Put the code and raw data in a sub folder, and it will be your first package for your mod.

You want it to be like this:

[myMod]
              -Animations
              -MyScriptPackage
              --Classes
              --Textures (.bmp, .tga)
              --Models (.lwo)
              --Sounds (.wav)
              -Help
              --MyModLogo.bmp
              -Maps
              -StaticMeshes (.usx)
              -System
              --MyScriptPackage.u
              -Textures (.utx)
              UT2K4Mod.ini

THEN in your Default.ini you add +EditPackages=MyScriptPackage NOT MyMod. Again, that makes it think your mod is a PACKAGE, and not a MOD. You are only supposed to add PACKAGES here, not your entire mod. If all you want is a mutator, you dont need the mod structure at all.

When you compile with the -Mod=MyMod extension, your MyScriptPackage.u will be placed in the MyMod\System folder, like it should. Any raw data should be in the MyScriptPackage folder, to keep it seperated from any texture/mesh packages. The way youre doing it is just wrong, and it will only cause you more and more problems as you go on.

Comment

yes, Bonehead, you're right. if I wanted to add, say a user interface later on, I would be screwed, or would have to go through a lot of hassle. However, when I use the set up you describe, it brings me back to the original topic of this thread. I get all kinds of strange compile errors that may or may not have to do with targeting, like:

"Error opening skin file \models\myMesh.psk"

does it find it, and can't open it, or does it not find it at all?

"Failed loading package: Can't find file 'Textures\myTextures.utx'"

why can't it find this? I'm not importing, i'm using #exec OBJ Load file

Comment

Because, as I said in my first post, you dont OBJ LOAD using a path, you just put the file there. If in your Default.ini you have +Paths=../MyMod/Textures/*.utx (and the rest of them for the rest of the folders), you dont need a path at all for texture packages, mesh packages, etc. You only need a path when you IMPORT, which is totally 19285725% different than doing an OBJ LOAD. You only import RAW DATA, such as a bitmap, or a tga, or a WAV file, or a .lwo (the only raw model type I know of that works). Everything else you LOAD, which does NOT need a path, only a file name. You define the paths for loads in the ini file.

Comment

yep, thanks again. I thought I had changed all the scripts when you first told me about LOAD. guess not. :heart:

but it can't be right that all of a sudden .psk will no longer import(because it did before, as a mutator).

Comment

I'm not sure what a psk file is (off the top of my head), but only types which UED can import will work.

Comment

a .psk is what Maya exports using ActorX. its a skeletalMesh.

Comment

I see. Then maybe its your path. Imports require a path, which normally start in the MyScriptPackage directory, but maybe the mod structure is causing it to start somewhere else (the mod structure does some silly things sometimes), but I assure you that it works, as I have done it before (File=../MyMod/MyScriptPackage/Textures/File.ext, but File=Textures\File.ext should work too). Maybe its because my / are reversed, lol. Who knows.

Comment

it's a miracle! everything works!

File=..\MyMod\MyScriptPackage\Textures\File.ext

that was the way to go. you're anything but a Bonehead

thanks man.

Comment

Bonehead I have a somewhat similar situation, Please read this article:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...620#post869620

INFO ADDED FRIDAY MAY 13, 2005

TC MOD ARCITECTURE -MOD= SUPPORT LINKS + MO STUFF

Here are some very helpfull tutuorials and links on how to setup WOT GREAL correctly and some actual GAMETYPES useing the TC Architecture:

YOU MUST READ THIS:
                              ***http://unreal.epicgames.com/ut2004/t...modsupport.htm***

PROPER DIRECTORY SETUP - NOT USING TC MOD -MOD=
                              ***http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Se...ackage_Folders***

EPIC MOD SYSTEM By: THE GEEKS
                              http://geeks.beyondunreal.com/ut2004/docs-modsystem.php

BEYOND UNREAL
                              http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=133454

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb2/pa...=category&id=2

FRENCH WEBSITE:

Note: You can translate this or any other website if you go to Altavista's Translation Page and simply insert the url of the website you wish to translate.

UDN RESOURCE: Lacking of detailed info but should read anyway.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ImprovedModSupport

EXCELLENT UNREAL SCRIPT CODE WEBSITE
                              Tip: I would download this puppy in its entirity while you can. It is a student website and you never can tell how long its going to be up.

http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/uncodex-u1/

Comment

Working...
                              X