Noob here...I can't find what i need...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob here...I can't find what i need...

Ok, this is my first post, so i wanna do this right! well, i was following a tutorial here at WoD where it makes a change to the Flak Cannon. I'm using UnrealEd to go through the actor classes and when I make my own class as a child of the original Flak Cannon, it is telling me to copy the AltFire() function from the script, but i can't seem to find it anywhere...i'll copy exactly the part where i am from the site...towards the bottom of the page

"The next thing to do is copy the AltFire() function from the FlakCannon class, since we want to modify what the weapon shoots in alt-fire. AltFire() is simply a function which is called by the engine when the player presses the alt-fire button. It's used to control what happens when a weapon alt-fires. The same goes for the Fire() function, but we're not modifying primary fire here, so we don't need Fire(). Anyway, double-click on FlakCannon in the class browser to open it up. Scroll through the code until you find the AltFire() function, and copy it into your MultiCannon class. You'll notice that the new code appears as all green when you first copy it. This is because UnrealEd doesn't apply the proper coloring to code until you compile it. So, let's compile it. Compiling in UnrealEd couldn't be easier. Simply hit the F7 key to compile all modified classes."

umm...my first guess is that this isn't for UT2004, but for 2003??? not sure, but if anyone has a suggestion to what i should use or take a different approach to it, then let me know...also, i have some programming skills, so i'm not a complete moron or anything...i've used VB, C, C++ and now i'm moving to Java next year so...i'm gettin there...any help is appreciated! thanks!

Dont use UED to code. It sucks. It doesnt allow default properties, nor does it show them. It sucks.

Use WOTGreal or notepad, context, something, ANYTHING except UED.

Comment

alright will do, i'm d/ling right now...I'll edit the post if for some reason i have another problem, thanks, bonehed316

Comment

Heheh. Nowadays, WotGreal is called UDE, which is a rather nice little environment that lets you do fun stuff like find all files in the class tree, etc. As for that tutorial, it is indeed for 2003, and I would take anything it tells you about the weapon system with a grain of salt, but the system SHOULD be more or less backward compatible, so you can MAKE an AltFire function, provided that you remove every bit of UT2004 functionality from the system you have.

*grins*

Not worth it. Look around the wiki (wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki) for some weapon system information, and look at how the current weapons are done. The thing to keep in mind, really, is that fire and altfire are handled by WeaponFire classes now. Take a look at the Weapon.uc and WeaponFire.uc classes for more info.

Comment

alright, i instead went through the wiki and went through the simple mutator creation, and everything was fine...when i went to dump the int files using a batch file, it created a .ucl, but no .int file...so i went and ran UT2004 an my mutator was in the list, i put it in, started the game...exited, and checked the log file, and sure enough, it was in the log file! So, my question being is, is the .int file not required?? this is of course for future reference when i actually go to accomplish my actual mod...thanks

Comment

Int files aren't used much anymore. There are some things you HAVE to have one for, but, starting with 2004, it seems they aren't always nessisary.

Comment

Ints are required for UT2003 I believe, but not UT2004 except in some situations. The new cache system handles making ucl files for all new .u files, and if they happen to be weapons or mutators it will put the info needed in the ucl for you.

The only time I've ever NEEDED an int was to get our gametype working in our mod. The problem was the maps wouldnt show up in our maplist, for whatever reason.

Comment

Weapon code is spread out over several files. It appears that the flak cannon does not have a special Altfire function for its own (which figures, since it does not do anything special). Perhaps you are supposed to copy the Altfire function from Engine.Weapon, which is the one the flak cannon uses.

Comment

Two things you'd need int files for:

A custom voicepack. The int is needed for it to appear in the player selection menus.

Localisation. If you intend to supply extra languages with your mod then you'll need an int file (as well as .det .fr etc for the extra languages).

Otherwise, pretty much everything you do will be handled with .ucl cache files.

Comment

sweet, thanks guys, you are really awesome for the info you're giving me...alright, well, its not really a problem, but i'm curious if there is any other way to make the configuration screen? I saw the code an was a bit frightened...I figure i'm gonna go for it anyway an try it, jus seein if it can be simplified or not, it should be a little difficult, but ill get the hang of it...thanks, guys

Comment

umm...for some reason i can't edit the post...so anyway, i figured it out an i'm gettin it done now...thanks!

Edit: Eh, i'm an effin moron, i kept clickin the wrong edit button :cry: i'm such a :noob: noob

Comment

Working...
                      X