Codding A Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Codding A Rope

Is there a way to code a somewhat 'realistic' rope type actor and attach it to maybe to other actors, and when thaey get farther apart, the rope looses slack and is straighterm well you get it. But is it possable?

You mean like the ropes in HL2?

(-ShIvEr- it’s not an Epic, DE or ID game)

Comment

well like a wire, i havent played hl2

Comment

Look into the web projectile on the Scorpion, that's kinds like what you want I think.

Comment

well i want it to act like it has gravity, well i dunno maybe that will work hmm

Comment

Only thing I can think of is… first you would need to create a small static mesh (a tiny tube with a bone stretching through it)…

Make a code to calculate the distance between 2 actors. Then calculate the amount of little tubes to be created (the static mesh) and attach each to one-another with “kjoint” actors via the bones of each.

Then you might want to make another variable to specify an extra amount of static meshes to be put in to create some sort of droop in it so it could swing around.

If you’ve done some mapping with karma actors then you should know what I’m talking about, I would upload a diagram to illustrate what I mean but my host is fixing something.

I hope you can understand this concept (not saying your dumb, saying I suck at English, what with being my first language).

Comment

Yes i have messed with Karma latly after i posted, i get the concept im gana try rit away XD

Oh, ty for your posts

Comment

Uhhh.. How I use the joind thing???

Comment

Oh yes um its not necessary, my bad, I thought it would be the best way to find where to place the kjoint but you can just set the coordinates and it will be the same.

Ps. Pm me when you finish this is shaping up to be very interesting.

Comment

im very new to Karma, I can shoot and make them move, but i cant make them pushable or link, i made a mesh with joints but i dunno how to do it

Comment

well I'm out im not much of a coder, more of an iders man. but look for a tut on using Kjoint actors you might be able to figure something out from that

Comment

lmao you at school??? i am right now LOL! Doin wat im not suppose to hehehe

[EDIT] Ill check it when i get home g2g

Comment

Have you had a look at the grappling hook from the Chaos UT mod (im fairly sure you can see their code...)? That doesnt droop how you want it to but it does swing around and connect to things and vary its length etc etc just how a rope would, you could always then use that as a basis for your rope (with the permission of the Chaos UT team of course).

Comment

That annoys me because of the whole thing where it duplicates sections of it, not so much that but each section is huge.

I say look at tribe vengeances code for their grapple hook.

Comment

The what code, in the where???

Comment

Working...
                              X