Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player dependant Texture placement

Hey,

I want to make a texture placement dependant on the location of the player ... or ... the angle the player is looking at the texture.

I placed it here cuz I think it has to be somesort of scritped texture

What I'm trying to do is to simulate bumpmapping. I found some nice topics about ti allready, but all of them weren't satisfying enough.

I think when I move the lightmap for the pseudo bumpmap dynamicly according to the player location/rotation I could simulate it pretty well, but I have no clue how to do this.

Cubemaps wont work, it kinda crashes the engine

any help please ?

- Xcal

No offence, but why don't you just wait until UE3 (Unreal Engine 3) it supports bump mapping in the core.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time trying to implement this in UE2, it just can't handle it very well.

As for your question, possible, but not if you're placing the texture on a surface, like BSP.... Static Mesh, maybe. You would need an actor which controls the texture, and compares the mesh & player location, and gets the angle of the distance between the two, then you could implement your own code dependant on the angle returned.

I am no math genius, so that would be your task...

Comment

I know UE3 supports it. But I can't wait that long. We're building a large mod for a school project with less then half a year from now as deadline. And we figured it would be kewl to apply bumpmapping into it.

I know of the solution u gave me, though it isn't satisfying as the lightmap wil be tiled with the texture as well. This i realised sometime after I posted the question

I think the most real fake bumpmap would be with a cubemap, but this isn't supported =/

thank u for ur reply anyway =]
      Xcal

Comment

Cubemaps are supported, they are used in reflection effects.

Comment

I beleive someone achieved a psuedo bump mapping effect with a IceSurface Cubemap (or something along those lines). Anyways, the way it works is dynamicaly altering the reflections (ala the IceSurface). Though the author took his in a different direction than bump mapping, it should still be plausable.

Check it out here: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=446012

Comment

I know Cubemaps are supported .. BUT, they're not supported in combination with the Icetexture.

And I did take a look at that topic allready, and it wasn't satisfying. It uses staticmeshes to pan the lightmap. But it's still the same 256*256 ( at max ) texture lightmap that tiles along with the texture itself. I don't want my lightmap tiled. That's why the cubemap would be so handy. A cubemap wont tile. But the Icetexture only supports 8 bit textures, and no other dynamic textures ( like the cubemap, or shader of anykind ).

Comment

Originally posted by xcalibur128
              I know Cubemaps are supported .. BUT, they're not supported in combination with the Icetexture.
              Yes they are, as I use a specular layer in the shader of my Masterchief models that use the ice material combiner as the diffuse and self illumination.
              Our HaloUT maps use shaders with ice materials and specular layers too.

Comment

Could u describe it a little more precise how I can achieve this ?

OR

Could u tell me where I can find a tutorial on that technique, cuz I really wasn't able to get anything near this.

or I mis understood u

- Xcal

Comment

Originally posted by xcalibur128
                  Could u describe it a little more precise how I can achieve this ?

OR

Could u tell me where I can find a tutorial on that technique, cuz I really wasn't able to get anything near this.

or I mis understood u

- Xcal
                  The basics of using a ice material and the hierarchy of the shader goes like this:

Ice material with lightmap and bump/normal texture combined with diffuse in a combiner set to multiply mode.
                  This combiner goes into the diffuse slot of the shader.
                  In the specular slot you add the texture environment map of your choice, and for the specular mask you use the original diffuse texture w/alpha layer.
                  Its pretty simple actually.
                  Your ice material can be an animated one or static to get the effect you want. Should still work even if you scripted the movement of the ice like your trying to do with a pawn.

Just remember your bump source and lightmap must be 256x256 indexed pcx files, not tgas or dds materials.

Comment

ah yes, but this is the other way around.

U make a bump, and use that bump in a shader.

What I want is a shader, and use that shader to create the bump.

Comment

Working...
                    X