UT2k4 SE Video tutorials DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2k4 SE Video tutorials DVD

Anyone have the special edition DVD with the video tutorials on it? I was wondering if they are any good. Do they have a lot of UnrealScript tutorials or is it more focused on level making and modeling?

I was just thinking about picking it up, since I'd like another good resource on Uscript other than Wikki. But because I already own UT2k4 I'd like some input on the quality of the extra features before I drop another $40 for a game I already own. I'm not too concerned with level making or modeling, I'd just like some more complete info on UnrealScript.

Any reviews welcome. Thanks.

Ditto for me. I know the first set of UScript VTMs mentions a second set, if the second set is included with the DVD SE I'd be very tempted to buy it.

Comment

I just found that 3dbuzz has online classes which provide you with VTMs that are apparently the same ones found on the DVD. I don't think its all of them however. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Comment

I have the DVD edition. It is PRICELESS. The wealth of info on there will get you going in the direction you want to go. I have been doing them for a couple of months now. I have just done a tutorial for the vehicles and added my own Warthog from HALO, complete with minigun turret on the back. I am also working on a topsecret project, I made an aircraft that acts like the Raptor. I kept the front gun and added the missiles from the Leviathan. They don't track yet, but i'm working on that. That second vehicle I made was without a tutorial. I'd say that's all credit to the DVD. If you want to do something, the DVD will tell you how, or get you close. Get the DVD.

Comment

If you know nothing about programming or uscript then they are deff good, otherwise you won't learn anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackjackson
            If you know nothing about programming or uscript then they are deff good, otherwise you won't learn anything.
            Thats the answer I was looking for, thanks Jack. I'm an experienced programmer and I have done several things in Uscript, I was just hoping for a more organized reference than Wikki. Wikki is a great resource, but its sometimes a bit cumbersome to find solid examples there since its a mix of UT/UT2003/UT2004 and many pages are not complete.

Comment

Originally posted by jackjackson
              How good though?

I've seen the first VTM set from 3DBuzz and it seems somewhat helpful, but if you want to make something completely from scratch(not just adjust Properties from previous Code) it is lacking in Fundamental detail.

Mahnum: Are there 2 sets(assuming they are organizzed in Sets like they are on the Webpage) of UScript VTMs on the DVD?

Comment

Ok, here's the "tree" the way they have it setup for the UnrealScripting VTM's on the DVD. (I have not done them all...I am currently addicted to playing with what I know through trial and error, heh)

//--------------------
                //UnrealScript 1
                //--------------------
                {
                Introduction
                UnrealScript Workflow
                Intro to OOP (object oreiented programming)
                The HealthSphere (little mod for a heath powerup)
                The Concussion Rifle (turn the Shock Rifle into a concussion rifle, loads of fun when done.
                Workflow Enhancements
                }

// (haven't done the ones below)
                //------------------------
                //Unrealscript 2
                //------------------------
                {
                Intro
                Variables
                Struct
                Operators
                Control Statements 1
                Control Statements 2
                Arrays
                Iterations
                Functions
                }
                //----------------------
                //TriggerConstraint
                //----------------------
                {
                Intro
                Triggered Destruction
                Overloading TakeDamage
                The Health System
                }

That is just the tutorials for the Unreal Script Category. There is other coding that is done for other VTM's, the Vehicle for example. I did the first few VTM's for Maya and UnrealED and jumped head first into the Vehicles. I am heavy into wanting to do vehicle mods so I went for that. I will eventually do them all, and I have currently gotten to a point where I need to be able to write my own code, all i can do right now is rip, copy/paste, cross-fingers and hope it works. I get the gist of about 30% of what the code reads, but the rest...Greek. But then I am not a programmer and I ahve only done the first VTm's. I am sorry I cannot tell you more, but I am sharing what I have done. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Comment

Ah, it does have them! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X