ANSI Compiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANSI Compiling?

Is it possible to get the headers for UT04 to compile under ANYTHING but that pathetic Visual C? I spent a lot of time writing an OpenGL1.5 renderer for UT04 and the **** thing won't compile. I use ANSI compilers such as Borland and Watcom and I cannot believe that a game like this uses the one language that is *NOT* ANSI and only compiles under one OS/compiler.

Sorry if I sound ticked, but I am. Spending several hours on something to discover a problem that is due to laziness ****** me off big-time. I mean I NEVER had a problem doing things with the id Software engines because they were all ANSI (Watcom was used I believe).

pro tip: Calling programmers lazy because they did something differently than you is the best way to get them to help! :up:

Your best bet is to email one of Epic's people directly about this.

Comment

Since UT has been compiled for three os's I imagine it's not platform dependant.... o_O

Comment

You're right, it supports two compilers (found after digging through Core.h). It will compile on MSVC or on a standard Linux compiler. The rest of us Win32 users are just screwed I guess. I doubt Epic has a second set of ANSI headers lying around either, so I doubt my email will do much. I'm just chalking this up as a totally wasted day and more fuel for my Microsoft hatred. Can't wait until my yearly format in December, because SP2 didn't fix a **** thing, but it sure as heck RUINED 90% of my favorite games. I am surprised UT2004 runs with no problems!

Comment

Also, you won't be able to do jack with what your doing unless you have a engine license. You can't do any low level stuff with the engine without having one. Plus, I don't think they would like you making a 3rd party rendering system for there game. I suggest you email Epic and ask if they would like to see your work, and maybe even get a job. Other wise, just stop what your doing and realize that your not supposed to be doing any thing with UT2004's code unless your writing it in Uscript.

Comment

Originally posted by [DHTA]Sephiroth
            You're right, it supports two compilers (found after digging through Core.h). It will compile on MSVC or on a standard Linux compiler. The rest of us Win32 users are just screwed I guess. I doubt Epic has a second set of ANSI headers lying around either, so I doubt my email will do much. I'm just chalking this up as a totally wasted day and more fuel for my Microsoft hatred. Can't wait until my yearly format in December, because SP2 didn't fix a **** thing, but it sure as heck RUINED 90% of my favorite games. I am surprised UT2004 runs with no problems!
            Were most of these games online? SP2's Firewall is *****y as hell and only the latest utpatch actually handles it elegantly...

Comment

Xipher, I am onnly using the headers, not the physical engine sources. Big difference. I don't even think one can get the sources without paying for a license first, and adding rendering extensions does NOT require the core engine.

Hsoolien, it actually messes with the games, not multiplayer. I have that SP2 firewall off since I am sitting behind a $300 firewall anyway. This causes oddities in-game, such as things being drawn wrong in Thief: Deadly Shadows, the guages and menus not showing in Destroyer Command and Silent Hunter II, and more in other games. Things we end-users cannot physically fix shy of having the sources to those games and coding a fix for them to make them compatible with SP2. Next month all will be good though, and I will not install SP2 until SP3 is out to fix everything SP2 broke. Heck, my roommate is having his system randomly lock after installing SP2! He's got it worse than I do.

Comment

Xipher, I am onnly using the headers, not the physical engine sources. Big difference. I don't even think one can get the sources without paying for a license first, and adding rendering extensions does NOT require the core engine.
                Your not supposed to have the headers either. Only mods that are allowed to be used with UT2004 as far as I know deal with making them in Uscript. If they do have any of the games headers avalible, thats news to me.
                I just did some quick searches on UDN, and I personally couldn't find any information about where I could get the headers needed to add on to UT2004. I could have missed something though.

Comment

I think Epic let a few people have the headers for UT99 but I didn't think anyone was allowed them for UT2004 unless they had a license. Maybe Epic have started giving out headers to the big mod teams now the contest is finished (well except for the finals).

Comment

if you look for instance in Ut2004\Engine\Src you will see header files, but these are only to show you how some of the native functions work, not to modify it.

offtopic: SP2 here as well, and no problems at all.

Comment

Those aren't the headers, they're some of the actual game code that epic released to modders for reference. The headers are what you need to write your own C++ code and use it in unreal.

Comment

The headers ARE out and I picked them up from somehwere, but I don't recall where. I was surprised at how easy it was to code for the engine using those headers. Now if only the headers were ANSI we'd have a nice GL1.5 renderer!

Comment

And you would have Epic knocing on your door, the header are not offically released for 2004, so the ones you have are illegit...

Comment

The headers ARE out and I picked them up from somehwere, but I don't recall where. I was surprised at how easy it was to code for the engine using those headers. Now if only the headers were ANSI we'd have a nice GL1.5 renderer!
                            If you don't know where you picked them up, then I suspect they aren't offical. Possibly some one slipped up and leaked them from one of the code drops.

Comment

Working...
                            X