No announcement yet.

What's the going rate on programmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I checked, the Unreal engine 2 licenses start at $350K USD(with royalties), or $750K USD (without royalties).

Probably the closest you can get to making an Unreal engine based game without a license is by developing a TC mod. I could be wrong, but I believe most TC mod teams don't work for money, yet there was a chance to try to win some $$$ in the MSUC.

I was very disappointed to learn the Unreal engine licensing fees, myself. Unreal is the easiest and most high-level engine I've ever seen. There are *cheaper* alternatives (like torque, which I bought for $100 USD), however don't expect them or their tools and languages to be half as user friendly of that of the Unreal engine.

If you're dead-set on the Unreal engine, you may be able to afford the 1st engine (from UT99). It's probably cheap, if it's still available. Graphics wise, it's not as pretty, but you might be able to pull it off with super high res textures to make up for some of it, and maybe even modify the DirectX part of the engine to support D3D9. It's been done before with Quake I and D3D8.

Comment

I've been looking at unreal runtime lately for my project. It would really lend itself to what I'm doing at it's only 8 grand....

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1£jesú§
        I was very disappointed to learn the Unreal engine licensing fees, myself. Unreal is the easiest and most high-level engine I've ever seen. There are *cheaper* alternatives (like torque, which I bought for $100 USD), however don't expect them or their tools and languages to be half as user friendly of that of the Unreal engine.
        It would be nice if you could lease the engine for less money, but it does make sense. The Unreal engine is arguably the best out there at the moment. Given its excellent design and ease of use it makes it pretty painless to create AAA quality games with it.

With a good idea you could easily piece together a great game from the engine, and make millions of dollars off it as several companies have done in the past. Its only fair that Epic gets a good cut of money from it because they have done all the dirty work.

Comment

Sorry for bumping this stale old thread, but-
          Originally posted by kungfu hampster
          I don't think Epic takes twinkies as payment...
          Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
          X