What's the going rate on programmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the going rate on programmers?

I might need another UnrealScript programmer for a project I'm working on and I have no idea what the current rate for them is. Anyone know a general figure?

(sorry, couldn;t resist)

Comment

You mean as in pay check? or the amount of programmers that are still 'available'? Or what?

I dunno, most mod teams work for free, on a volunteer basis afaik.

Comment

The reason I ask is because I'm putting together a game demo using the Unreal Engine with a few other people and I'm going to be in need of a programmer pretty soon. If most programmers work for free, that would be great. But I would also be willing to hire one on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by -GSF-JohnDoe
          , most mod teams work for free, on a volunteer basis afaik.
          ****, did you have to tell him that ?

Comment

Originally posted by superzebe2003
            The reason I ask is because I'm putting together a game demo using the Unreal Engine with a few other people and I'm going to be in need of a programmer pretty soon. If most programmers work for free, that would be great. But I would also be willing to hire one on as well.
            Is this a demo for a commercial product, or a community mod? What's your organization, and if you've done some development on the project already, do you have a web page?

Comment

It's a project intended as commercial game. We don't have a website up yet because we've been busy working with artists the last several weeks but I plan on doing that fairly soon, as well as setting up a forum on another message board site. I'm spending the majority of my time fleshing out a very large design doc and I'd like to get as much of that up as I can before I start thinking about what will go on the website. In the meantime, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much all of this will cost us.

Comment

$2,172,000 a year, ownership, and a condo.

Comment

I'm not interested, but this is a breif point-of-view
                  As a professional programmer myself (although for Java, not UScript), it would depend on a couple things:

- Location..
                  1. would I have to relocate
                  2. whats the Cost of Living if I do?

- Benefits

- Job responsibilities

- amount of time I'd have to invest.

----
                  if I was a perm. employee, and assuming I didn't have to change location.. it was a 40/hr week job... I'd ask about $40k/year.. thats because it's pretty cheap here..

to put it in view, when I submitted my resume to Blizzard, I was going to ask around $60k/year to make up for the change in cost-of-living.

If you are gonna work me to the bone, I'll want more..
                  part time.. obviously less.

If you're serious about this, I recommend looking aroudn various head-hunter sites like Hotjobs and Monster.com

Comment

I am a homeless veteran and I will work for food.

Seriously, though, try codelance.com to see if you can drum up any freelancers. Probably any C\C++ programmer should meet your needs. But ask specifically for UnrealScript. Some of them will work on the cheap, to get the experience and a kind word from a client. But I would think you should expect anywhere from $25 - $40 per hour.

And you should make them commit to a finite amount of time to accomplish what you need. Or else debugging can be a never-ending story. :sour:

Good luck on your project!

P.S. If you are the PM, you should already know this. I mean, do you have unlimited funds? If so, I can learn UnrealScript tonight.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I am actually looking for a part-timer/contract guy to do a little bit of work on this project. I'm a programmer by trade, with only a little bit of Unrealscript experience, so I was in need of an experienced programmer I could work with, learn from and help me lay a foundation for this project that would be useful a year from now. I'm not sure of the exact amount of work needed though, and I actually have very limited funds available, probably the minimum amount needed to get this done with a semblance of quality (and that includes artists, animators, etc.).

Comment

If I weren't currently under an obligation, I would probably hold out to see a web page. If you've marketed yourself well on it and the project looks promising and interesting, then having a name on the credits would be an attractive incentive for me, as would having an investment stake in a potentially growing development company.

Comment

I'll do it for a pack of twinkies....

Comment

It's a project intended as commercial game.
                            You do know that you can't sell this unless you lease the Unreal engine right?

In the meantime, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much all of this will cost us.
                            Well as I said above if you want to profit from this you'll have to pay Epic for a license. I believe they are only about $600,000.

Comment

I don't think Epic takes twinkies as payment...

Comment

Working...
                              X