Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coding for a backend Database. How do I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't give it any more attention than it needs.

Epic's toys is Epic's toys, so leave em the hell alone.

But if you get put into jail, send me a postcard with a number between 1 and 10 on it, indicating how much you think it was worth it.

Comment

This still going?

Here is the nuts and bolts of it. You can create all the DLLs you want, the problem is you can't get Unrealscript to call the functions in the DLLs without a header file that contains special macros, that Epic created, to handle passing, and getting, parameters to native code. If you can't get Unrealscript to call the functions, the DLLs are worthless. It's a house with no doors or windows.

Unrealscript runs in a sandbox, a virtual machine. DLLs run/are run natively in the user space. You're missing the bridge between Unrealscript and native code. And the only people that can provide that bridge legally is Epic, and that required you to purchase the engine.

So your only course to exchange data between the virtual machine and the native code is using the TCP ability of UT2004, or the DLLs parses the/a UT2004 log file (one way communication).

Comment

**** guys this is a long discussion. I read the whole thing unfortunatlly Im not knowledged enough to tell you who's right or wrong here.
        What I can tell you is its probably worth looking at some of the unreal script stats server stuff, forgive me if Im wrong but doesnt this function similarly to a database??
        With 2k4 as well it might be worth looking at the single player save games, well if thats what you call it, stuff you might be able to intergrate the two to have something similar to what you are looking for.
        Anyways just ignore me if I dont have a clue.
        I hope this helps if I do have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bored Sh**less!
          **** guys this is a long discussion. I read the whole thing unfortunatlly Im not knowledged enough to tell you who's right or wrong here.
          What I can tell you is its probably worth looking at some of the unreal script stats server stuff, forgive me if Im wrong but doesnt this function similarly to a database??
          With 2k4 as well it might be worth looking at the single player save games, well if thats what you call it, stuff you might be able to intergrate the two to have something similar to what you are looking for.
          Anyways just ignore me if I dont have a clue.
          I hope this helps if I do have one.
          Not exactly. UT2004 uses TCP to connect to the stat site in order to send the information. UT2004 has no idea how to write to a MS SQL, MySQL, etc database. So UT2004 connects to a service on the stat server, via TCP, that knows how to translate information sent by the server into SQL and it writes to the database.

What the coder above wanted to do was write a DLL, to be used in UT2004, that accesses a database using the database's native drivers. And since you can't write native code (custom DLLs) for UT2004, it's not legally/easily possible.

Comment

Why would you need to do this?? What would it achieve?
            Forgive my stoopidness. Im just interested in this topic.

Comment

Ultimately doesn't the chum just want to save some info for maybe like an RPG-like MOD that keeps the players stats on his server? You can accomplish this many little 'cheap' ways with Uscript and stuff but, yeh, connecting to like a MySQL, Sybase, etc deal might be, interesting.

The MMORPG Lineage ][ was made with the Unreal Engine. Now granted they legally licensed it and all. So how would the average Joe (gym) go about doing it with maybe a cheap TXT or INI data storage method? I think this is what the chum is lookin' for.

Comment

Working...
              X