Wow!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!!!!

This looks like it's going to be a good forum to watch !!
    I know nothing about codeing, but I really want to learn.
    One thing I need to know is what script is this? c++, pearl, python, java???? And am I better off to try to learn this on Linux, or MS ?
    I'm still pretty "green" on Linux, but I'm starting to learn the command line. I hear "vi" is good to write code in, but I really don't know

1. It's Unreal Script, a proprietary byte code similar most to Java
    2. I'm not 100% on this but hte compiler is Win32 Native, not sure if there is any way to run it on Linux...

Comment

the compiler is part of the editor and has not been ported to linux (it is possible to port, but it adds quite a lot to the total compile time and Ryan doesn't have the time to test the compiler (e.g. broken compiler isn't any better))

Comment

For making your own UT code, I suggest using windows, and use the UDE (official Unreal Dev Environment) or WOTGreal to write your code in. they have syntax highlighting, class browsing, etc.

Comment

I think you should start with basic programming first. UScript is very Object Oriented and without at least the basic understanding of what that is and why its good, you'll be completley lost.

UScript is fairly straightforward and easy to learn but I still suggest learning a simple language first even if its only Javascript. At least then you'll understand what variables and functions are and how to use them before diving into thousands of source code files.

BTW: don't confuse Java and JavaScript, they are two completley different languages and have absolutley nothing to do with eachother expect for the fact that they both have Java in their name.

Comment

I'd suggest Java myself, since the syntax is VERY similar, and Java has an excellent object oriented structure.

oh and read the post my Sig links to, it has a lot of tips on how to get started, links, etc.

Comment

Java doesnt really have the objectivity of uscript though. There are no real need for pointers in Java, at least we never did when I was in school. VB is a good n00b language, and it really helps build your logic skills without all the worries of syntax and stuff, with the .NET IDE, it pretty much writes it for you. But uscript is a very OO language, and is not easy for beginners to understand or follow.

Comment

Are you interested in learning how to program code to mod Unreal or just in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316
                  Java doesnt really have the objectivity of uscript though.
                  Sure it does, every class in Java is a decendant of the Object class. The language is completley OO and forces you to be where C++ does not, C++ just provides options for OOP.You can't really compare the 2 as Java is a full blown OO language whereas UScript is simply a scripting language derived from C++.

There are no real need for pointers in Java, at least we never did when I was in school.
                  Pointers do not exist in Java, well not explicitly anyways. Thats is yet one more reason its a good language to start with. Its far less cryptic than C/C++. Java is probably the best foray into OOP.

VB is a good n00b language, and it really helps build your logic skills without all the worries of syntax and stuff, with the .NET IDE, it pretty much writes it for you.
                  I agree that its an easy language to start with however I feel it gives people far too many bad habits. There is no structure to VB programs and they almost always end up as spaghetti code. Also since its not case sensitive it can cause annoying bugs when a VB programmer learns a language that is. For example in VB myVar and myvar would both refer to the same variable whereas in C/C++ or Java they would be 2 different varaibles. Bad habit to have.

There is no problem with .NET IDE writing the code for you, however you really shouldn't use it until you can do it yourself. Its meant to be a time saver, not a replacment for actually coding. If he used that its really not going to help him too much when it comes to UScript.

Comment

Well, as I said, I never really got into making Java programs. I do remember it was case sensitive, which always bothered me, lol. But we never really made anything more complex than a clock, or a window with a few buttons. UScript, especially mutators, get very OO when you're communicating with mutators, and info classes, as well as getting into replication. I dont think there is any real language which will help you with these things. Java helped me get my OO ideas in (much more than VB), but VB really helped my logic, as far as "okay, I want it to do this when I click this button, now where do I need to put that code." Yes, often times it becomes spaghetti, but thats just becasue the programmer is lazy, and the program is pooly designed.

But the fact remains, any language is better than learning Uscript as your first, lol. Pick one with good documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Castaa
                      Are you interested in learning how to program code to mod Unreal or just in general?
                      First off, thanx for all the input from everyone :up: :up: :up:
                      I'd like to learn both. Like I said in the first post, I really have a big intrest in Linux. So learning how to program is of intrest. I dig the open source thing. Also, I've always wanted to try to make my own mod for UT, or contribute to one other than mapping.

Comment

Then I'd suggest using windows and UT2004 as a start. Maybe even take a intro computer programming class at your local community college.

Comment

My only background in programming before Uscript was Atari 8Bit Basic, and I'll tell you the two cannot compare (plus there was 15 some years between the two)

Uscript is a good place to start to learn it, when i actually tried it was maybe two weeks before I was coding release worthy code (ie more then tutorial code)

Comment

Originally posted by Castaa
                            Then I'd suggest using windows and UT2004 as a start. Maybe even take a intro computer programming class at your local community college.
                            Thanx for the starting point tip :up:
                            I thought about taking night classes, but I build houses for a living. Going to school after 8 to 12 hours of swinging a 32 oz. hammer all day, is about the last thing I want to do .
                            However, having said that, I do belive I'd make a bit more money writing code (not that I'm doing too bad now. I have a golf course on the north side of my house, the Albemarle sound on the west side, and the Atlantic ocean 200 yards to the east. but I'm getting too old to be swinging a hammer anymore) so I might just look into those night classes. :haha: :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by MrMethane
                              There is no problem with .NET IDE writing the code for you, however you really shouldn't use it until you can do it yourself. Its meant to be a time saver, not a replacment for actually coding. If he used that its really not going to help him too much when it comes to UScript.
                              I disagree with ya on beginners using .NET IDE or similar program that has IntelliSence type feature. Having no formal education or training in any type of programming other then a crash corse in MS BASIC about 10 years ago when I was in high school, I set out to learn to make a complex website using ASP.NET about a year ago. I was very lost when I started and spent more time looking up how to do things then I did actualy writing any code. Then once I got my hands on MS Visual Studio.NET, the IntelliSence helped me learn the language much faster then the pace I was at prior to using it.

But now for people wanting to learn UnrealScript, VS.NET doesnt really work that good for UScript. I find that Wot-Greal is the VS.NET for UnrealScript! It has the IntelliSence just like VS.NET and that alone helped me many times over! I do agree that someone should not be dependant on this type of feature, and they should beable to code with just using notepad, I did find it very helpful in getting started when I really didnt even fully know what I was doing in the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                              X