Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

ATTENTION: READ BEFORE YOU POST

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTENTION: READ BEFORE YOU POST

It would really help out the other forumites if, when posting a new thread, you state the following:
    • Which 'flavour' of UT you are working on (either 2003 or 2004)
    • As much detail about your problem as possible
    • Some code snipets/error messages relating to your problem

Doing this will make trying to solve your problems so much easier, as these things are usually asked for anyway.  So by putting them in your original post you'll save yourself, and those trying to help, some time and effort.

If this does get 'stickied' you might want to change the thread title, and remove this line too.

I've almost always tried to follow these kinda rules. :up:

Comment

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=109192

Comment

Format Life: most of the 'regular' forumites do follow these guidelines (except maybe for the 'flavour' of UT thing, which is usually my first question to a new thread.  I guess they assume we're all working on UT2004, which as a general rule for me is a false assumption as I tend to start a new project on UT2003 and migrate it over when it's finished).  It was mainly aimed at new members, as they have no experience of posting on these boards, so if they had a simple guide to help them things should move along more smoothly for them.

El_Muerte: long and helpful thread you posted there, but a bit too long for new members to read through I fear (it took me a while to get through it, and I enjoy a good rant, so what would a new member make of it?).

By making this thread I was trying to save those who try to help out some time and effort (as I've said previously, one of my first questions is 'What version of UT are you working on?', so if I could avoid having to type that it would be great.  I suppose I could just stop helping people, but I enjoy it, so will probably continue asking that age-old question).

Comment

Not only message body should describe all needed infos -

start with the subject and give a short description of your problem.

Subjects like Help or Question or I am stuck will force me to read the complete posting (or forces me to skip it, since I am really short on time) -
          while subjects like Cannot open custom menu or How to trigger event on clientmachine makes it much easier to browse the list and give hints on topics I might be able to help out.

:-)

Andreas

Comment

Plus, info on how to get started with unrealscript, those same topics keep appearing all the time

example:

How do I get started with UnrealScript?

- Download the latest UT2004 source (linked version is 3270), and extract it to your UT2004 Basefolder (i.e. C:\UT2004). Make sure your UT2004 is always patched to the latest official patch, same goes for your source files.

- Download Epics UDE. This is a good editor for UnrealScript. You can ofcourse use other tools such as WOTGreal or even just Notepad.

- Go through the tutorials on the Unreal Wiki. This wiki also has a lot of other interesting information and documentation concerning Unreal Technology. We advise to look at 3DBuzz's Mastering Unreal as well.

If you run into a problem you can post it here following the above posting rules.

IMPORTANT: Never EVER modify, or even try to modify, the existing code from UT(200x). If you do this, you'll have to reinstall the game.

Links for the Unreal Developer:
            Unreal Wiki
            Mastering Unreal
            UDN (Unreal Developer Network)
            Beyond Unreal Forums
            These forums

<<END EXAMPLE>>

This is partially the same as Mod Author Resources, but I think this is much easier to understand for someone who wants to start with UnrealScript. The Mod Author Resources thread is mainly a collection of links.

Comment

Originally posted by -GSF-JohnDoe
              Make sure your UT2004 is always patched to the latest patch
              Latest Official Patch would be a bit more clear. Ive seen a few mods and mutators that were built on beta patches and crashed for earlier versions (compiled their weapon when weapons just got water splashes, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]
                http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=109192
                :up: :up: Oh yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing everyone should read.. Unfortunately, the ones that need to read it never do. :cry:

Dicky B (If you're reading this, and didn't read that, please do, thanks)

Comment

No stickay yet!?

Comment

Ok ok, I figured I'd just get all the suggestions together in this post, so whoever makes the sticky can just copy paste it.

Edits:
                    some typos and layout stuff. Also, here is the link to the source of this post, to make the admins life a little easier. credits to everyone who posted in this thread, and also that thread El_Muerte linked to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME

Hi, and welcome to the Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 Programming forums. First time users, please read this post, it'll tell you how to Ask Questions The Smart Way and How To Get Started With Unrealscript.

Thank you in advance.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

When you run into a problem with Unrealscript, and you can't solve it by:

you might want to post a topic about your problem here. When doing so, make sure that you state:
                    • Which 'flavour' of UT you are working on (either 99, 2003 or 2004)
                    • As much detail about your problem as possible
                    • Some code snipets/error messages relating to your problem
                    • Methods or ways you've tried to solve your problem
                    • Use a clear, comprehensive title for your topic. "I NEED HELP!!!!11one" I likely to get you flamed, while "Can the TakeDamage event be overloaded?" shows everyone what your topic is about.

Make sure your posts are readable (or: posting etiquette).
                    • Don't post in ALL CAPS, this is the online equivalent of shouting and is considered very rude.
                    • Mind your grammar and spelling. People will be more inclined to help if your post is easy to read.
                    • Do not blame others for your problem.
                    • Do not bump your topic, and do not post whining posts about not getting help. These forums are active enough, if people don't post a solution in your topic it's most likely that they don't have the solution either.
                    • Do not expect people to give you the solution. They will most likely give you tips where to look, or what to do, but not a ready-to-use solution.
                    • If you do find a solution (yourself), post that too, so that people who have the same problem later can find a solution in your thread.

How To Get Started With Unrealscript

We get a lot of threads with people asking how to start with Unrealscript (UC), which is why we made the following guide for new scripters.
                    • Download the latest official UT2004 source (linked version is 3323), and extract it to your UT2004 Basefolder (i.e. C:\UT2004). Make sure your UT2004 is always patched to the latest official patch, same goes for your source files.
                    • Download Epics UDE. This is a good editor for UnrealScript. You can ofcourse use other tools such as WOTGreal or even just Notepad.
                    • Go through the tutorials on the Unreal Wiki. This wiki also has a lot of other interesting information and documentation concerning Unreal Technology. We advise to look at 3DBuzz's Mastering Unreal as well.

If you run into a problem you can post it here following the above posting rules.

IMPORTANT: Never EVER modify, or even try to modify, the existing code from UT(200x). If you do this, you'll have to reinstall the game.

Links for the Unreal Developer:
                    Unreal Wiki
                    Mastering Unreal
                    UDN (Unreal Developer Network)
                    Beyond Unreal Forums
                    These forums
                    UT2004 3323 Source files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well thought out post there JohnDoe, now let's just hope the forum admins act on it.

Comment

who are the admins anyway?

Comment

Pezman and PR_Flak

Comment

oh I thought they were just mods. nevermind then

*prods pezman*

Comment

Maybe JohnDoe can add to his link that closing a thread with the solution the questioner came finally up is helping out a lot too.

Andreas

Comment

Working...
                              X