"Extended play" style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Extended play" style

Would it be possible for a mod to implement features such as in-game saving, or would that require actual modification of the engine itself (and therefore probably need an Unreal license)?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in some games (eg. Deus Ex, Max Payne, etc.), walking through a certain part of the map will load a new map (eg. in Deus Ex, the main part of the UNATCO base seems to be a different map to the rest of Liberty Island, with a noticeable loading pause when it changes). Is this possible in UT2004? If possible, would it actually be feasible, or would massive load times make it a bad idea?

you can change maps like that, or at least I know of teleports that teleport you to a diff. map.

But I thought ingame saving wasnt possible, at least not in mid game.

Comment

i dont think its possible, simply because you wont be able to serialize all of the objects in the level without some extensive native code, which i doubt is in place (or not in the style you would like it). there are some more messy ways, but i dont think we should get into that, since its really awful

Comment

Re: "Extended play" style

Originally posted by DJRowley
        Would it be possible for a mod to implement features such as in-game saving, or would that require actual modification of the engine itself (and therefore probably need an Unreal license)?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in some games (eg. Deus Ex, Max Payne, etc.), walking through a certain part of the map will load a new map (eg. in Deus Ex, the main part of the UNATCO base seems to be a different map to the rest of Liberty Island, with a noticeable loading pause when it changes). Is this possible in UT2004? If possible, would it actually be feasible, or would massive load times make it a bad idea?
        Sure it is posible, though I'm not aware of any function that would do this automatically.

Deus Ex was based on unreal tournament's engine - those effect was caused (as you have quessed) by loading new map. Bigger maps was splited to few smaller for some reasons (to limit memory ussage, but not only - while the game progressed "same" (sub)levels was modified or replaced by entirely new ones).

Comment

Support for saving games was added in the latest patch. You can even do it in regular instant action games. Although i think it is a little buggy.

Comment

Working...
          X