2003 vs 2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 vs 2004?

Are there many differences between UT2003 and UT2004 in terms of scripting and using UnrealEd? I know UnrealEd 3.0 is shipped for both versions but I'm sure there are a number of changes in UT2004. It seems like there are more resources for UT2003 on the web tho.

I will be teaching a class using UnrealEd and UnrealScript and I'm trying to figure out which one to go with. The trade-offs are price, ease of use, and availability of information on the web.

Any insight would be appreciated,
    Kjax

From my experiences (which is not much, but still more than just the average player ) UT2K4 is basically the same (in terms of mapping and scripting) as UT2K3 with a few added classes, is all. It also has more support for vehicles; as far as I remember, UT2K3 had minimal support. The base code was there but none of the more detailed code.

There's a bigger jump from UT to UT2K3, as 2K3 has a more enhanced engine. But 2K3 and 2K4 are exactly the same, scripting- and mapping-wise.

Comment

Mutator and Mod support is vastly different with 2004 opposed to 2003, also there is now extensive caching calls in 2004

Comment

I'd go with 2004 since it is the most up to date version of the engine. Teaching with 2003 is teaching an outdated tech. The docs are improving with 2004 as well. Doesn't UDN have public current docs now?

The new 2004 mod directory structure/system is a lot better as well. It keeps all your mod's unique resources seperate of UT2004's files. Its much cleaner, IMO.

Also there doesn't appear to be a UT2005 on the horizon. Epic is doing a major redesign of the their engine and scipting system which is going to take 2 years+ before being released to the community in the form of a new UT game.

Comment

i think..
          1. the same ed just 2004 is updated a lot
          2.there was a redesign/mod of karma physics
          3.lots of bug fixes
          4.lots of new classes
          5.AI improved a lot
          6.grid in 2d ed yay!
          7.heeps moreā€¦ 2004 is a very good step forward
          and im sure if I get to make a few maps for 2006/7.. that will rock as well.. cant wait
          :up:

Comment

Any weapon making tutorials may also be vastly different as UT2004 moved the location of WeaponFire.

Comment

They aren't actually that different. Weaponfire now extends object not actor but it actually makes little difference if your weapon isn't trying to do anything too out of the ordinary.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. Keep it comin'.

Kjax

Comment

Well it is important to note as some custom weapons like to use iterators.

Comment

Working...
                  X