No announcement yet.

procedural sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prove you wrong. In fact i already told you to check your shieldgun.

In the code you won't find a reference to "proceduralsound" because it is not needed, since the procedural sound properties seem to be stored in the soundpackage. They get played/called the same way as a normal sound.

As i said: Check the sounds for the shieldgun primary fire sound: its soundgroup contains only one sample which does get played with pitch variation. Only ONE SAMPLE.

-> shieldfire.uc
    -> weaponsounds.uax

I'm really sorry if i sound harsh, but this really frustrated me a lot and almost took all the fun out of it... yet i do like ut2004, the editor, the game as it is, but since i'm very into sound this 'd'kill it for me.

Also i would add screenies and code examples if my modding pc had internet. it has not.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

You're right, they are used in the editor. I never said the sounds inside of the packages werent procedural sounds (obvioulsy they would still be procedural sounds if they were ever referenced as such). But you cant modify their properties, which means you cant use them. Also, you'll see that they use sound groups (those items in there with the * in front of them are sound groups), which play random versions of different sounds. You cant export procedural sounds, nor can you play them (or at least I couldnt). Obviously they work in the game, but not a lot of use they are if you cant modify their properties (which has been true since UT2003, if I remember correctly).

I suppose you could try the Begin Oject Class=ProceduralSound Name=MySound sytnax inside your default properties and attempt to modify the properties that way. No gurantee it will help you, though.

Comment

Uh... ok, is anyone else getting really weird forum behaviour? This thread is currently displaying last thread first, ending with the first post :weird:

Comment

It must be the second coming :bulb:

Comment

Last night i tried a bit with the editor command line. Lets you "new proceduralsound file=blabla...", but it's a pain to trial & error since ued quits quite often on such tasks.

So this leads me to the conclusion that since 2003 just nobody found out how to make procedural sounds. Why would the editor have the option if it wasn't possible in the first place?

How about EPIC FIX up a small tutorial for us?

I bet i'd feel so stupid because i'm just sure it can't be more than just a few klicks and numbers...

Well thank you bonehed for your time. Maybe we'll find out more about it.

Comment

What command can i set properties with for sounds? (or, say, for anything else stored in unreal packages such as textures for example?)
              (hint: if the ued command line is too short, use the log window itself)

Since they are not classes (not sure)... what are they? Materials...? From the original Unreal i remember that "everything is an actor"... any help here?

BTW... what could be the cause for the trouble we have here? Beside that it (=the sound) just doesn't seem to matter to the majority of ut people...
              I'm thinking of two other possible reasons at the moment.

1) epic wants to keep this for licenced modders
              2) unreal ed simply corrupts that one and nobody did notice

Comment

Originally posted by fftunes
                So this leads me to the conclusion that since 2003 just nobody found out how to make procedural sounds. Why would the editor have the option if it wasn't possible in the first place?

How about EPIC FIX up a small tutorial for us?
                I think I can answer the question about why and what.

When I was working on SoulRage, anyone on the UTmods list thingy can tell you that I was trying to figure out how to get the procedural sound to work for quite a while.

In a nutshell, no one at Epic has/had a clue how it was done because they didnt do it. Digital Extremes did. Trying to contact DE for any assistance proved useless, so I just went full out SoundGroups....and so did Epic, eventually.

From Steve Polge on 6/1/2004:

> Any news on being able to create ProceduralSounds with UnrealEd?

Sorry, that's DE code that AFAIK was never fully implemented. It's not something we will fix.

- Steve

Comment

Bummer. Thanks RC!

This really sux. To me, that's quite a big percentage of the fun gone.

So. I think I'm gonna change an existing soundpackage and just replace it's basesound... nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                  X