Emitters vs. xEmitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emitters vs. xEmitters

Does anyone have an idea why most of the 2k4 weapon particle effects are xEmitters, and not Emitters?

Emitters are *much* more versatile and powerful than xEmitters, and so far I have not encountered anything that can't be accomplished with Emitters. First I thought that they can't move or being attached to other actors, but that's simply not true as demonstrated by e.g. LavaDeath.
    Performance also isn't an issue, provided you use reasonable numbers for MaxParticles...

Emitters are used mostly in the Assault classes.

Comment

Most of the weapon effects were done for UT2003, before Emitters were even available. Now that they are, they're used for all effects. (AFAIK all effects that are new to UT2004 are Emitters, not xEmitters). xEmitters are no longer supported and you shouldn't use them.

Comment

Hmm, LavaDeath was introduced in 2k3...but of course it might have been added with a later patch; I don't know much of the beginnings of 2k3.

(But if it's true that xEmitters are obsolete and no longer supported the UDN should at least mention it somewhere!)

Comment

Working...
        X