Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze Tag WIP, beta Inside

Hello guys,

i´ve jsut started learning Unreal Script and have decided to do a little game type, just for testing pourposes.
    It´s a team modification that let´s you play the old known freeze tag. Both teams spawn with just a Freeze Rifle that can be used to freeze an enemy or unfreeze a Team Mate. The teams that completely freezes the other team wins.

Simple engouh. But I´m having some troubles:
    I´ve managed to "freeze" the players, so they don´t move. But they still can shoot. How to can i solve it?

How to do make the bots work with this mod, so they can unfreeze team mates, and don´t try to freeze already frozen enemies?

I think that the matchs of Freeze Tag will be really short. So i was thinking in letting the player defines a number of matchs that needs to be played to define the winner. How can I do that, restart the level as but keep all the statistics of the game?

Also, the froozen players don ´t look really frozen right know. They just don´t move. Any one has a sugestion of what i should do to make it more visible?

A beta version of it, with what i´ve done so far can be downloaded at: http://www.geocities.com/mkhaos7/FreezeTag.zip

Thanks in advanced.

Re: Freeze Tag WIP, beta Inside

Originally posted by mkhaos7

Simple engouh. But I´m having some troubles:
    I´ve managed to "freeze" the players, so they don´t move. But they still can shoot. How to can i solve it?

I would suggest taking away all their weapons, except for the shield gun. Even if frozen, they shouyld still be able to do something.

Also, the froozen players don ´t look really frozen right know. They just don´t move. Any one has a sugestion of what i should do to make it more visible?

Why don't you look into adding an overlay on them like when you pick up the double damage, invisible, etc.

Comment

For a visible freezing effect, you could see if it's possible to just remove the textures from the character model. I had a glitch show up one time not too long ago when I was playing, and the skin disappeared off my character model when I died. I ended up looking like I was covered in a layer of ice or something. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, it might be an easy way to get the effect you're looking for.

Another possibility is spawning a model of a big ice cube around the player. This might be pretty easy to pull off if you can find or make a decent model that is somewhat transparent.

To get a player to freeze, are you putting him/her into a 'frozen' state? If so, you should be able to override the StartFiring function inside that state to not do anything.

Comment

Things to consider, (Im assuming a small game, 4vs4):

- Get rid of the sniper rifles, or the game will just be a summer camping affair. Also, think about what you want to do about splash damage weapons. Winning via redeemer isnt that satisfying.

- Disable suicides. Cause if you can respawn, whats the point.

- Make sure teamchat works when your frozen because if you get frozen in a very obscure place then you might as well disconnect cause no ones gonna say you.

- Perhaps a timer as to how long you are frozen. Maybe 2-3 minutes.

- What do you want to happen if you do get frozen as your falling to your death?

/bored at work.

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts

To get a player to freeze, are you putting him/her into a 'frozen' state? If so, you should be able to override the StartFiring function inside that state to not do anything.
          To freeze the player i'm just setting their ground speed to zero and chaging their physics to none.
          But to change the StartFiring funcion i'd need to extend the xPawn right? So how i define that the pawns in game should use my new pawn?
          I was thinking to take of the weapons of the frozen players, and given it back to them when they are unfrozen. But i could make the DeletedInvetory function to work

Comment

Originally posted by RC321
            Things to consider, (Im assuming a small game, 4vs4):

- Get rid of the sniper rifles, or the game will just be a summer camping affair. Also, think about what you want to do about splash damage weapons. Winning via redeemer isnt that satisfying.

- Disable suicides. Cause if you can respawn, whats the point.

- Make sure teamchat works when your frozen because if you get frozen in a very obscure place then you might as well disconnect cause no ones gonna say you.

- Perhaps a timer as to how long you are frozen. Maybe 2-3 minutes.

- What do you want to happen if you do get frozen as your falling to your death?

/bored at work.
            The sniper rifle (as all other weapons, excepet the Freeze Rifle) are already disable in game. The only way to use it is with "loaded", that wouldn't work in online games any way.

I think it's a nice idea to implement all your other sugestions. The only think that maybe a little problematic is to know when a player is falling to death.
            For example, a player can be frozen in middle air. But if he is falling for death (like falling in Sapce in CTF-Face) they should "die", but if falling from a small height, they should just fall and stay on the ground.

I think i could simple freeze the player and let them fall, and die. But if they die they'd respawn.
            So... how to do that?

Comment

Hmmm.....

......ok, if you die, by any non-weapons related means, you could have them transport to a random location on the map. Similar to what UT2004PRG does when you get the upgrade thing where when you die, you dont really die, but transport through the map to a random location and become alive again.

Now.....the problem with this would be the cheap angle. Meaning, if your being ganged up, you could hit your "suicide" bind and float somewhere same. Suicide would need to be disabled.

If a person gets stuck in a random spot, perhaps you can create an alt fire on your freeze gun that could act like a transporter, but with a recharge time 10x longer. So basically, you can only use it once every minute or so.

Comment

Working...
              X