Turn Off A Player's Shadow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Off A Player's Shadow?

I'm sure this has got to be pretty simple to do, but there are so many references to various "shadow" related objects and I don't really know what any of them do. I've tried flipping a few switches that could be related, but nothing has worked yet. Is there a simple way that I can toggle a player's shadow from rendering? I want to be able to control this for use with a custom cloaking device.

look at the invisabilaty combo. i think that takes away the showdo.

Comment

It does, but as for how it's doing it, I've no idea. It just calls the SetInvisible function, which is part of the xPawn class, and the only thing there is it sets a byte value called "Visibility" to 1. I've tried changing the value myself but nothing seems to happen.

Comment

The reason invisibility removes the shadow is cause the shadow is actively rendered on the player model, and if there is no player model (cause it's invisible) there is nothing to cast a shadow. It's the same reaons why when you look down you don't see you're own shadow.

Yo might be able to do somehting with the class'shadowprojector' but I'm not sure

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/ShadowProjector

Comment

Actually the player still renders with the invisible combo, and I found the area in the xPawn class where it is turning the players shadow off. The only problem is I still don't really understand this whole Pawn, UnrealPawn, xPawn setup. If there is any information that better explains this, I'd like to see it. Never got too far dealing with classes in C++, so I just can't figure out how to reference the player's xPawn class. It's in a weapon's fire code, and so there is the default Instigator reference to the player's Pawn class, but the shadow stuff is only defined down in the xPawn extension... I'm greatly confused.

Comment

something like the following might work:

Code:
            funtion cloak()
            {
                if ( bcloak )
                {    
                    if ( xPawn.PlayerShadow !=None )
                    {
                        xPawn.PlayerShadow.bShadowActive = False;
                    }
                }
            }

Comment

Bleh finally found out how, looking at one of MrEvil's scripts again.

xPawn(Instigator).PlayerShadow.bShadowActive = false;

Comment

Originally posted by Hsoolien
                The reason invisibility removes the shadow is cause the shadow is actively rendered on the player model, and if there is no player model (cause it's invisible) there is nothing to cast a shadow. It's the same reaons why when you look down you don't see you're own shadow.
                That's one thing that kinda sucks. I *like* looking down and seeing my own feet and shadows or whatever. Tribes 2 spoiled me on that.

Dicky B, that game had so much good, and so much bad, all in one package.

Comment

Working...
                X