Beginner's questions (dont hurt me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner's questions (dont hurt me)

I want to get involved in programming with Unreal script, but ah, I have no idea how. As far as I can tell, UnrealEd is level-editor only. I want to create mutators and such, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing that...

If possible, are there any resources (Unreal script command reference documents, etc) or parhaps newbie tutorials availiable?

Thanks for any help you can give.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com has tutorials and help for getting started.

Comment

since we are on n00b questions, how do you call a function in another class? I have looked in other code from 2k3 and saw that people used something like (just making up names:

local aclass avariable;
      avariable = Spawn(class'aclass');

however, that gives me an error on that second line 'bad or missing expression in '='.

How do I go about doing this?

Comment

You need to know about OOP to stand a chance.

In your line you call Spawn, this creates a NEW object. You can only use the Spawn command on classes inherited from Actor, other classes you have to use the New keyword.

For an example, if you want to give a player more health, then you have to find the EXACT player to give it to. You cant just create one like your example then give it health. If there are 15 players on the server, then you have 15 player to choose from to give health so need to find which is the correct one. If you dont know how OOP works then Id suggest having a good read of the wiki and buy a book or 2, its the basis for coding in just about every language.

Comment

I understand OOP (to at least a rudimentary level, I take java classes at school)

So, would I use something like

avariable = new aclass()

Comment

NewTabPanel = new NewPanelClass;

^^ adding the () on the end, it thinks its a function .

Comment

Thanks alot!

I am now one step closer to enlightenment.

Comment

I suggest signing up and doing these VTM's. http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/onlc_m...classid=4&m=17 I also suggest you buying the DVD version of UT2004 which is being rereleased and watching the VTM's on the 2nd DVD. They are helping me a bunch.

Comment

That link doesn't work, says "couldn't get login id."

Also -- are they gonna ever release the second DVD by itself or release the videos some other way? I don't want to pay for the game a second time.

Comment

Try this link, and click UnrealScript 101. You'll have to sign up for it.

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_onlc.php

Comment

Oh yeah...I forgot to look at the second dvd.

Comment

Working...
                      X