Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Example on adding new botnames for Instant Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example on adding new botnames for Instant Action

Example addon here

Extract the above to UT2004/System directory and check the bot roster.

To add new bot names:

1) Go to UT2004/System dir and find the XPlayers#L.UPL files (# indicating a number) and make a copy of either of them and rename the copy to Xplayers3L.UPL

2) Open the file with notepad/wordpad

3) To make a simple name change, for the example below:

Player=(DefaultName="Horus",Race="Egyptian",Mesh=H umanMaleA.EgyptMaleA,species=xGame.SPECIES_Egypt,B odySkin=PlayerSkins.EgyptMaleABodyA,FaceSkin=Playe rSkins.EgyptMaleAHeadB,Portrait=PlayerPictures.cEg yptMaleAB,Text=XPlayers.EgyptMaleAB,Sex=Male,Menu= "SP",FavoriteWeapon=xWeapons.ShockRifle,Tactics=0. 7,StrafingAbility=-0.35,Aggressiveness=+0.05,BotUse=1)

I will make a simple name change here

Player=(DefaultName="BillGates",Race="Egyptian",Me sh=HumanMaleA.EgyptMaleA,species=xGame.SPECIES_Egy pt,BodySkin=PlayerSkins.EgyptMaleABodyA,FaceSkin=P layerSkins.EgyptMaleAHeadB,Portrait=PlayerPictures .cEgyptMaleAB,Text=XPlayers.EgyptMaleAB,Sex=Male,M enu="SP",FavoriteWeapon=xWeapons.ShockRifle,Tactic s=0.7,StrafingAbility=-0.35,Aggressiveness=+0.05,BotUse=1)

You can copy and paste individual lines from the other UPL files and edit them in the new UPL file if you want to make a new one from scratch.

If wanting to make a UPL file from scratch, make sure the very first line on top has [Public] on it before you start copying and adding new names.

I hope this is useful until someone makes a program that will easily do this.

Someone dood it.

http://members.cox.net/jimmykick/DBBotGenUT2k4_R5.zip

(yeah, you get props for the idea)

Dicky B

Comment

That would get you new bots pretty fast, but it'd be difficult and not exactly foolproof if you wanted to change the other statistics for those bots.

/me thinks it's time to update for UT'04 ...

Comment

Death is pretty foolproof. Everything else isn't. Besides, it's just a random thingy to make a kajillion bots. Might goof with it here and there, for some other things Cyrin and I have been talking about, but otherwise.. I suppose a thingy for the user to set ranges for each stat blablabla might be nice, but I thought a 40-100% range was as random as ya needed.

Dicky B..

ps-just realized.. Neo and his pals were speedhacking cheaters, and Vasili Zaitsev was a spawn camping O sniper.. what a bunch of pusses. let's vote 'em off.

Comment

Ok, added a literal assload of things to this. Plus, found the reason it was chugging so slowly on long name lists. Mucho velocidad added, there, bub. So.. I added last name list. And a random generation for alien type names, with 5 configurable rules for the namegen. You can also choose a specific species for the gen, or just let 'er rip choosing from all of 'em.

Note: Doesn't check for dupes this version.. With 1900+ first names, and 26 last names, plus randoms, no real need to. (and that's default, built-in, stuff)

I have my gen'd bots LOCKED hahaha.. So you can't choose them, but they still show up when you're selecting a character in your settings as question marks. Makes it easier to pick out what you really want..

Dicky B, like who really wants to choose a Xan Robot mesh named Victor Van Halen?

ps- I'll leave JaFO to dork around with the manager. That's not the point of this exercise, anyway.

*edited to reflect proper capitalization of JaFO's moniker..

RE-EDIT: Apparently locking the characters makes them not show up in instant action matches. Don't DL that thing yet.

Comment

Ok, fixed that and some other stuff.

You have to move a UTX file into your Textures folder, but that's not rocket science, right?

Dicky B

Comment

Cool! You got the species specific and integrated the namelist in the program! :up:

If possible, some optimizations for speeding up the name generation would help.

Great work DickyB!

I have another idea: A manual name entry form so the generator will create stats using the name in the line.

Maybe a checkbox to allow stats to exceed +1.0?

Another option so it doesn't use your custom portraits for those who want "vanilla" portraits used? Perhaps even more hobbies and species related maybe? (I had a genned old robot with cuddling as a hobby! LOL)

OT: How do I make my own UTX files?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrin
                Cool! You got the species specific and integrated the namelist in the program! :up:

If possible, some optimizations for speeding up the name generation would help.

Great work DickyB!

I have another idea: A manual name entry form so the generator will create stats using the name in the line.

Maybe a checkbox to allow stats to exceed +1.0?

Another option so it doesn't use your custom portraits for those who want "vanilla" portraits used? Perhaps even more hobbies and species related maybe? (I had a genned old robot with cuddling as a hobby! LOL)

OT: How do I make my own UTX files?
                Actually, the Skaarj Only option is broken at the mo.. But anyway, yeah, I can add an "Amp Skills" check box, or add per-skill range stuff. And the name gen isn't the bottleneck now. It's making sure the mesh matches the chosen species, plus gender, pretty much clogging stuff up.

Yeah, the portraits were so that I had an *easy* way to wade through the bots.. THEN I figured out how it loads them, and it's a big duh. Try naming all your generated custom UPLs starting with a z.. then they're after the stock characters.. duh duh.

How To Make A UTX: Open up yer UnrealEd, import a valid piccy (even to powers of 2, like 32/64/128/256/512/1024/2048 by another even, so like 32x256 or 256x256 or 1024x16 even works) and when you do, there's three lines you need to be concerned with, and 1 in particular. The first one. Name that what you want the UTX file to be. Like BotGenReplacement and then the middle one, you can leave blank, last one is picture name. Anyway.. This is covered at 3DBuzz I'm pretty sure. Nab some VTMs and get stupid.

A manual name entry form so the generator will create stats using the name in the line.
                No idea what that means, but it sounds less of a random bot maker thing than more of a bot editor thing.

Dicky B, once I fix the skaarj only, hey.. Did you also notice Old Bot Only will all be male? Yeah, didn't realize there weren't any Old chickbots, and you wanna talk about lockup... sheesh..

Comment

Quick note: I'm updating the first and last name default lists with MONSTER lists.. I'm cleaning up a list of surnames right now .. 88,000 surnames.. I haven't done any hard calculation, but a million bots with non-repeating names is easily possible. Now to have it actually look for dupes.. And that's just with first and last names, nevermind the random addable part. But you just have to *love* census reports. I can even set it up to randomly generate names based on popularity of the name parts. I think there's other uses for this Real Name Random Generator over in the pencil and paper RPG area of Da Net. I'll have to fix up another version for them, maybe.

Dicky B, why kill it when you can OVERkill it?

Comment

If you use an external text-file for your name-generator function then people can add their own data, but they have to know the proper format.
                    By adding a built-in editor/test feature you give the users a fullproof method with which they can increase the number of botnames the utility can generate.

I had a couple of name-generators in my UT'99 bot-editor, but I never made a userfriendly editor for them.
                    I was thinking of adding them to my botmanager with a set of dialogs to create new variants.

// -- edit --
                    Any idea where one can find non-western census data for names ?
                    I have one for western/american names (by the looks of it), but something for aliens robots

Here's a site you might want to try :
                    http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

Comment

http://www.20000-names.com

NM I found out

I fixed up the portraits already so they don't tile as seen in this screenie

Yes, that portrait using my name is me.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
                        If you use an external text-file for your name-generator function then people can add their own data, but they have to know the proper format.
                        By adding a built-in editor/test feature you give the users a fullproof method with which they can increase the number of botnames the utility can generate.

I had a couple of name-generators in my UT'99 bot-editor, but I never made a userfriendly editor for them.
                        I was thinking of adding them to my botmanager with a set of dialogs to create new variants.

// -- edit --
                        Any idea where one can find non-western census data for names ?
                        I have one for western/american names (by the looks of it), but something for aliens robots

Here's a site you might want to try :
                        http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

Well, you can load any list of names you want into it. All you have to know is that female first names have to have a trailing # on that line. That's it.

Dicky B, I just thought an ungawdly large data file included would save some time for some people.

Comment

Even 512x512 is too big for the little portrait that pops up on the side. What's the exact size to use?

Edit: Got 256x512 working properly on the portraits

Here's a special guest who will be in next bot names roster release

Edit X2: I had the botgen create a Skaarj or Alien when the listing was on "Mercenary only"

Comment

I'm using the standard portrait size.. 256x512.. They can be different, like 128x256, as long as it's even (power of 2) and in a 1 width to 2 height ratio. Then it will show right (but not when you pop PORTRAIT up over your 3D view when it's selected, but hey).

Also, miscalculated. With my new EuroFirstName.txt and EuroLastName.txt files loaded in, the unique combinations come to just under half a billion. with a b. yeah.. Increased the genspeed by 33% (from 45 per second to about 60 on my machine), but hey, it STILL takes a long time to make 10,000 bots. When I go to bed, I'm going to set up my million bot march. Should take around 5 hours.

And yeah, race-only gens sometimes queer up. looking into that.

Dicky B, Father of 50,000 Botty Boomers, and counting.

ps-yeah, need to fix a couple of things in the bot text section. I figured all males have the same hobby anyway, and females never tell their ages. That's the joke of the whole thing, btw. It wasn't laziness, it was totally on-purpose.

[EDIT: I'll keep adding the top number to the maxbots until I break UT2k4 with too many. Then I'll half that for the maxbots, and there we go.]

Comment

Notice how the game gives the bots new pompous sounding names if you use multiple instances of same bot? Any idea how to edit those names?

Also, while placing pictures in portraits note that the bottom part of it gets chopped off while ingame. 128x256 becomes about 128x200, for example. Better make sure nothing vital is down there and that the picture works also with new dimensions. Example:

I'll put the name on the black part.

Comment

Working...
                              X