Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[IDE] Unreal Sed (2.1.0) [PIC]

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, sounds like a hardware problem, unfortunately. If it is just the RAM modules, you could get replacements (at the very least to get your older laptop going). RAM is cheap enough these days. If the problem is the motherboard itself, then yea, you'll have to spend a bit for replacement parts.

Comment

Sorry to hear Ping

Comment

I had a similar problem with my computer earlier this year, I thought it was a bad power supply.
        I kept battling the problem as it got worse, and then reinstalled windows on a new HD, and no more problems.

I couldn't say that is your problem, you know more about the problem than I do, but having serious computer problems are frustrating, hope you have some luck with it.

Comment

It seems I might have gotten it to work. I have removed the RAM card from the second slot and the laptop booted normally.
          It is odd though, as I have tried it before and it did not boot that time.

I thought of doing this given that the last time it booted with the two original RAM cards it only froze when I pushed it to use 2.3GB of RAM, thus I figured the problem is either the RAM card on the second slot or the slot itself.

Hopefully it is fixed. I won't as of yet work on Unreal Sed though, because I want to make sure the problem is gone, else it may corrupt the files (like it did to one of my other projects).

It's not the best computer and is now running a 64bit OS with only 2GB of RAM, but at least I can write some code with a real keyboard an not the keyboard from my phone xD

Comment

Well, do run a copious amount of memtest86+ to make sure your workaround is good. As you noted yourself, having RAM that works but silently corrupts data is the worst thing. Also make sure to make data backups.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Well, do run a copious amount of memtest86+ to make sure your workaround is good. As you noted yourself, having RAM that works but silently corrupts data is the worst thing. Also make sure to make data backups.
              I don't think it corrupts data silently, the problem is when it freezes the only way to shut it down is through the power source, and I've had corrupted files at least once.
              I've created a backup of all my projects on Dropbox, and will be running memtest86+ tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Well yea, force poweroff truncates files. But I've had one occasion when I had bad RAM, where writing to certain locations would not actually write to them, thus files that are saved would become silently corrupt. So that's another thing to be aware of, and that's why you should never use RAM that is reported as bad by memtest86+.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Well yea, force poweroff truncates files. But I've had one occasion when I had bad RAM, where writing to certain locations would not actually write to them, thus files that are saved would become silently corrupt. So that's another thing to be aware of, and that's why you should never use RAM that is reported as bad by memtest86+.
                  I see, that's nice to know, thanks for the info.

Comment

You can now report bugs and suggest new features over at http://forums.100gping100.com/.

Having a forum with a section dedicated to Unreal Sed makes it much easier to manage suggestions and bug reports with it's threaded structure.

Comment

Finally it is time for an update. Unreal Sed Mark 3 is currently under development.
                      You can read more and see some screenshots on the blog post:

http://www.100gping100.com/unrealsed...-announcement/

Comment

I will be creating a blog post with more information on the development of Unreal Sed Mark 3 tomorrow (Saturday) or the day after (Sunday). The post will mostly consist of progress reports, time allocation, screen-shots and explanations for new features and/or changes.

Comment

And here is the promised blog post:

Mark 3 Splash Screen And News

Comment

Working...
                          X