Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]
    heh, I can bounce that ball back to you.

I want to know why all game makers neglect my platform, they should optimize their code and remove all useless eye candy so it'll run great on an Athlon 550mhz.
    Particles and Physics and complex AI paths are the cause of that cant really do too much about that. Hence why I am at the big 3.06, just need to get me a brand spanking new 5900 next month and ill be set.

Also AMD doesnt make any compilers like Intel does so you kinda gotta bite the bullet on that as well. Since compilers do make a huge difference look at Quake 3. But yer memory sub system is incredably slow too. But hey you would probably score the same as me in 3dmark2003 if you had a geforce4 4200.

Also that useless eye candy is what sells, the gameing market has shifted into a 12 to 32ish gameing group instead of what it used to be 12 to 18ish. These older users have lots of cash to throw around on beefy video cards CPU's and memory. If it dont look good they wount buy it. Kinda like vice city GTA that game is a peice of shat. But people still buy it for the **** and fowl language. Just audiece targeting its what industries do to stay alive.

-Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    heh, I can bounce that ball back to you.

I want to know why all game makers neglect my platform, they should optimize their code and remove all useless eye candy so it'll run great on an Athlon 550mhz.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]
    You sound like an PR man for intel
    Just a Intel user that wants to know why his platform is being neglected.

-Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You sound like an PR man for intel

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    We used VS.NET 2002 for UT2003 and are using VS.NET 2003 for UT2004 on Windows. Linux and Mac are using various versions of gcc.

Expecting large performance increases from switching compilers is an unrealistic expectation... at least unless you are using a special compiler to compile a benchmark test suite

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
    So you dont believe that any real performance increases will be noted from throwing yer code threw ICC 7.1. Hmm Carmack believes so and it was seen with Quake 3. Sounds to me that your company has made a open case of hindering the P4's performance. Since no other game on the market has such a performance difference when compareing semi conductor architecture's. Untill I hear from Tim Sweeny on this issue will not be done.

Also since the programmers float about here why would you hand code for x86-64 or otherwise known as AMD64??? Seems to be a double standard if you ask me. But hey when Tim Sweeny said the Itainium architecture as being not for the general user. Sounds to me like hes liveing in a pipe dream since the Itainium is the FP and Int King of all CPU's at the moment. No hybrid chip is gonna make a difference.

But well have to wait and see maybe deerfield (low voltage desktop version of the Itainium) or Yamhill (Intels version of x86-64) will be coded into the Unreal Engine.

-Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    ... at least unless you are using a special compiler to compile a benchmark test suite

very subtile

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We used VS.NET 2002 for UT2003 and are using VS.NET 2003 for UT2004 on Windows. Linux and Mac are using various versions of gcc.

Expecting large performance increases from switching compilers is an unrealistic expectation... at least unless you are using a special compiler to compile a benchmark test suite

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If Carmack can do it then so can Epic and DE. I also hold the stance that the optimizeations are easy to implement period. Nothing to hard about fire'n up ICC 7.1 and running it threw, considering the compiler does almost all the work since Intel does make the best compilers around and simply sitting down with V-tune would most likely take up the same ammount of man hours that adding Athlon 64 optimizeations did.

-Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well actualy, the 64bit port didn't require a lot of changes to the current engine. Besides, they are going to evolve the unreal engine to 64bit CPU's, the first phase will only be the evolution of unrealed to 64bit. The game itself will remain 32bit for a while.
    Also, the 64bit Unreal Engine was just a tech demo, afaik there is no active development done specifically for the 64bit Copy optimization isn't something like using extented instruction sets (MMX, SSE, etc..), you will have to provide a diffirent binaries (for every single part of the engine).

How many code bases do you want them to maintain. They already have three diffirent platforms. Two of them are PC that could be optimised for 4 additional CPUs. I don't know much about Mac but lets say there's just G4 and G5.
    This would total up to:
    2*(4+1)+2 = 12 sets of binaries
    (and I didn't even include any 64bit ports)

He, while we are busy doing optimizations for CPUs, let's start optimizing GPUs too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VS.NET2003 - P4 + SSE2 at the most is significantly under performing compared to ICC 7.1 - P4 + SSE2. Since vectorize'n is something the P4 line is godly at, then why not tap into that? If the boys at Epic and DE can find the time to do Special Opt. for the Athlon 64 why not use the compiler to make yet another code path for the engine to tap into the cores technology.

Doesnt make sence to me when a company that constantly chatters about how the performance of their engine matters but wount take the time to boost it. Since I can gaurentee that SSE2 would allow for some very powerful vectorized loops. As well as utilizeing Hyper Threading makeing more challengeing bots or takeing a bit of the overhead off the system dureing internet play.

I say again it doesnt make sence to me since they have the reasourses to sit down and run it threw the compiler. With V-tune to tweak. But what do I know right just another game developer in the makeing.

-Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sure optimizing a game for a single CPU will increase performance, but it will also decrease performance on every other CPU.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    deduction

by going in the SYSTEM directory, there is a file name MSVCR70.DLL which is the VisualC++ runtime version 7.0.

I checked core.dll, and this dll was linked with MSVCR70.dll.

I assume all modules have been compiled with MSVC7 via VStudio .NET 2000 (MSVCR71.dll = VStudio .NET 2003 )

I dont think they used another compiler for the windows platform but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Compiler Used?

Compiler Used?

Question for the development team if they cruise around here. I'm curious on what compiler was used with Unreal 2003 and Unreal 2 respectively. Since there is somewhat of a performance difference by respects of AXP and Pentium 4 performance.

Its been rumored you simply used the GCC 3.2 P4 codepath with SSE support. Not the ICC 7.1 P4 codepath with SSE2 support. Which I can beleive since the performance of a P4 with the new Unreal Engine's is terrible in the P4 vs. AXP case.

With that in mind if this is the case why would your company openly try to cripple 70% market share user groups. Or are you simply inticipateing higher clock speed P4's will negate your apparent lack of codeing for the P4 line.

Since its been seen with Quake 3 that recompileing with the Intel compiler without even hand codeing it boosts performance significantly. Carmack himself has stated Doom 3 will follow in the same idea with heavy optimizeations for Intel cores. Since 70%+ of his purchaseing groups runs these CPU's.

Just curious thats all not saying your a poor programmers just asking a justifyable question.

-Spuddy
Working...
X