Tutorials on TC Mod-making in UT2003?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorials on TC Mod-making in UT2003?

I've been scouring the web for a few days now and so far I'm having a VERY difficult time locating tutorials on making a mod.
    I know about unrealscript, I've found all kinds of tutorials on it, I've looked through the original source and made mutators and new weapons, volumes, zones, etc and so now I'm very familiar with the basics of language itself.

I've also been programming in various language over the years, so the ability to actually write code isn't the problem. Its more of an organization problem since I don't know how the entire system of UT works together.

The problem is that I don't know what to do now that I know the language.

I want to completely change the gameplay, so that mutators for gametypes won't really apply, and I don't know where to even begin redefining the gameplay.

Which classes do I change, and which do I derive from to take over the gameplay and how everything works from dying, to taking damage, to respawning, to completely changing the HUD, etc.

If you know of any good resources that talk about making a TC Mod, I'd much appreciate you sharing the links with me.

some tutorials

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_tr.php

try this for starter, they offer a video tutorial in unreal script.

it may be help. im not sure.

I remain ronnie graham!

Comment

It might help, but I don't think so. I can't look at it to see because you have to be active on their site and forums to download, and since it doesn't look like a tutorial on making a real mod its not worth it.

I already know the unrealscript language, I just need help figuring out how to use the language to make a total conversion mod.

Comment

To make a new gametype you have to extend GameInfo or one of it's subclasses depending on how similar to the normal UT2003 gameplay you want it to be. Personally I recommend extending from Deathmatch and then changing the parts you want to be different.

In the class for your gametype you can specify what HUD you want to use. And to actually make a HUD you need to extend HudBase.

For a TC you will probably also want to make changes to the Pawn and PlayerController classes which define what the player is capable of doing, ie. double jumps, swimming, etc.

You will probably also want your own menu system aswell but I can't really help with that because i could never get mine to work

As you can see there is a lot to be done for a TC.

Comment

Can you change the pawn and playercontroller classes? In both in the comments up top, it specifically says "This is a built-in Unreal class and it shouldn't be modified.".

Comment

Originally posted by Psychosanity
            and since it doesn't look like a tutorial on making a real mod its not worth it.
            And what counts as a real mod? Isnt modifying the game, in any sense, considered a 'real' mod, since you 'really' did mod the game?

Comment

Can you change the pawn and playercontroller classes? In both in the comments up top, it specifically says "This is a built-in Unreal class and it shouldn't be modified.".
              I meant you should subclass them. You shouldn't actual alter any code that is already there.

Comment

Not really. I like to differentiate between mutators, which only slightly change gameplay(change a weapon, remove all but one weapon, etc), game types(DM/assault/bomb run), which alter slightly more(but still use the same base, all have mostly the same weapons etc), and 'tc mods' (or 'real mods') which entirely change the game.

If you want to be technical, then yes they are all modifications and thus mods, but tutorials on the former two don't help me on the latter because the things they cover aren't what I need to do.

I don't want any of the existing weapons, the current weapon system (with pickups etc), the current HUD (going to change the layout entirely and remove the weapons bar and add some new stuff), the current damage calculations, or much else from the current game. About the only thing I'm keeping is models and textures and that is because they work with the mod I want to make.

Psyk: I wish it was allowed to alter them, because they have a lot of stuff I don't want there as do many other classes =-/ Like the weapons class has all this stuff for ammo that i'm going to redo entirely, so every instance of weapon will have extra fields I can't remove that don't do anything that are just wasting space =-(

Comment

If you altered them directly, it would break the entire game. Any functionality that you don't want can be overwritten in a subclass. In the end it's just as easy to make changes in a subclass as it is to edit the existing code (if not easier).

Comment

I don't know if this is what u need, but here is how to start a mod:

- Make a folder in the UT2003 folder, with the name of your mod, as MyMod.

- Make this folders inside this folder: classes, textures, staticmeshes, sounds, music (if you want), system (if you want) and animations.
                    The 'classes' folder is where you save your uncompiled scripts, and not a part of the mod.

- Go into the UT2003/System and copy the UT2003.ini, and rename it (the copy) to the name of your mod, like MyMod.ini.

- Go into your MyMod.ini and scroll down to the "EditPackages=". Write a new line with your mod name, EditPackages=MyMod. (This should be the same name as your mod folder)

- Still in your ini file, you might want to change the "MainMenuClass=" to your own main menu class, if you have one. This is located somewhere in the top of your ini file.

- Dont close your ini file yet. Somewhere at the top of your ini file, you should find:
                    Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
                    Paths=../System/*.u
                    Paths=../Textures/*.utx
                    Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
                    Paths=../Music/*.umx
                    Paths=../StaticMeshes/*.usx
                    Paths=../Animations/*.ukx

Add your own folders here, and your folders have to be written ABOVE the original ones like:
                    Paths=../MyMod/Maps/*.ut2
                    Paths=../MyMod/Textures/*.utx
                    Paths=../MyMod/Sounds/*.uax
                    Paths=../MyMod/Music/*.umx (If you have a music folder)
                    Paths=../MyMod/StaticMeshes/*.usx
                    Paths=../MyMod/Animations/*.ukx
                    Paths=../MyMod/System/*.u (If you have a system folder)
                    Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
                    Paths=../System/*.u
                    Paths=../Textures/*.utx
                    Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
                    Paths=../Music/*.umx
                    Paths=../StaticMeshes/*.usx
                    Paths=../Animations/*.ukx

- You also might want to change LocalMap=NvidiaLogo.ut2, which also is located in the top. This is the map that starts your mod.

- There is alot of settings you might want to change in the ini file, look around

- Make at least one gametype to start with. There is several tutorials on this. Don't forget to place the gametype script files in the /MyMod/classes folder. When you create your .int file, it should be the same name as your mod folder.

- In your ini file, change the "DefaultGameType=" so it point to MyMod/MyGametype. Same with the DefaultServerGame=.
                    ps. You dont have to do this.

- Go into the system folder and copy the User.ini, and rename the copy what you want, like MyModUser.ini. There is nothing that you HAVE to change here.

- Make a shortcut of UT2003.exe. Rightclick and go into properties. Change the target to:
                    D:\UT2003\System\UT2003.exe -ini=MyMod.ini -userini=MyModUser.ini -userlogo=blabla.bmp

The userlogo is the picture that comes up in the beggining when the game is loading. I THINK you should put this picture in the UT2003/Help. If you dont have one, simply dont write the -userlogo thing in the target.

I THINK this is the basics, i wrote this down pretty fast so I probably missed alot of things.

Comment

Thanks for that post Kill, that perfectly answers many of the questions I have had of late.:up:

Comment

Psyk: I wish it was allowed to alter them, because they have a lot of stuff I don't want there as do many other classes =-/ Like the weapons class has all this stuff for ammo that i'm going to redo entirely, so every instance of weapon will have extra fields I can't remove that don't do anything that are just wasting space =-(
                        If that is indeed what you want to do, you can just create a subclass of the class that they extend from.

In other words, lets say like the weapons class that you want to behave like the weapon class, but dont want the "extra overhead". Instead of subclassing Weapon to create your new class, subclass the parent class of weapon (is it pickup? Im not sure right now, away from UT2003).

Then you could take what you want from the weapon class, and use it in your code, and you wouldnt be "bogged down" with the extras that you dont need.

Assuming thats what you want. Some of that "extra" code might bite you later when you are trying to test multiplayer games and the like. But I guess thats the point of a TC...

Good luck!

Comment

cknight52: Its possible to do that for some native classes, but some have native functions that are pretty much required to do their job, so not all can be replaced like that. Also, some have 'nativereplication' and I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Kill_For_Fun: Thanks for that. I was afraid I'd have to put all my files in the default directories and that would be very unorganized IMO. Is there any way to get the .int file out of the default system directory and still have it recognized?

Comment

if you want, you can just start from scratch. All you have to extend is object and you can write your own actor class. Then just extend off of that. I just think that would be time consuming and a waste since many of the other classes can be used for just about any type of mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pips
                              if you want, you can just start from scratch. All you have to extend is object and you can write your own actor class. Then just extend off of that. I just think that would be time consuming and a waste since many of the other classes can be used for just about any type of mod.
                              I really don't think thats possible since there are native functions in ~100 classes which are pretty much required to do what needs to be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X