Is UnrealScript..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is UnrealScript..

..closer to Visual C++ or C++? Or will it make a difference? To familiarilize myself with a language close to UnrealScript, should I learn C++, or Visual C++? Should I use Microsoft Visual Studio, or something else, like DevC++?

Thanks in advance!

C++ is C++, doesn't really matter what compiler/editor you grab for yourself. However, if you want to learn UnrealScript, go with this priority:

1. UnrealScript (obviously)
    2. Java
    3. C++

There's no reason to start with something else if you want to learn UnrealScript, but if that's not an option, go with the list.

Comment

Well, I want to learn UnrealScript, but I've been told I should have at least SOME experience in Java or C++, and I have some, just not sure what to use. Lol.

Comment

you dont have to know any programming language. It just makes it easier to understand

Comment

Knowledge of C will just give you a head start and is not in any way nescesary.

Comment

If someone doesn't already have a fairly good understanding of program control flow and OO, UnrealScript will be useless to them aside from modifying stuff in defaultproperties. UnrealScript is more than a typical scripting language, less than a programming language, and comes with its own specific quirks. I have a love/hate relationship with it :P

The point is, if you don't know anything about control flow and OO, then you won't get jack **** done until you learn how to *program*. And there are easier ways to learn that IMHO. Such as Java.

Comment

Originally posted by segall
              The point is, if you don't know anything about control flow and OO, then you won't get jack **** done until you learn how to *program*. And there are easier ways to learn that IMHO. Such as Java.
              At least add 'though its entirely dependant on how dedicated you are' or something, please
              There are at least a couple of us out there who knew close to nothing about programming before we came to UnrealScript, and we're doing just fine without prior knowledge

Comment

Wellll, I do know a bit about C, and it isn't too hard, would knowing Java make it easier too?

Comment

To be honest, i've ever only used Visual Basic and Java, and I picked up the UnrealScript very easy, so I would say knowing the basics of any language should get you started.

But you will need to learn the UnrealScript directives, which are far more complex then Java or C++. IMO.

Comment

I'll learn eventually!

Comment

if you learn C# you will basically know UScript and how it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X