Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start a windows app?

Start a windows app?

Anyway to start a window app from inside UNREAL? i know the start http://xx.x..x.. works but is it open to other commandlines?

I wanted to start a zip program to auto compress the REC demos.

What do you think?

If not then i will have a external program that looks int he UT system for the file and then ZIps and moves it. but it would be nice to have it in unreal code. However maybe this is no good as people can put anything in there and hack into the server or clients :-(

I found a way around this.

My new mutator now records the server games and then will zip them up and place them on a in game UT web page ( like the UT webadmin) for downloading!

Web page can be set to save as many files the UT admin wants. The web page also list the players in the recording!

Cool stuff

Check out the "VAS-Server - Web Stats " link in my sig for a example. Play on server. It will place the file on web and then after 5 mins and the next game map it will have the download ready .

Comment

It's the wrongest thing ever but you can do this:

file://C:/UT2003/Program.exe

Or something to that effect. We were able to launch an AVI (in media player) from Unreal script.

So you could use this to run a batch file or something. I think.

Comment

Holy **** if that works!
        i was looking for that. but didnt think it would run!
        I would love to zip the file from inside the code and out a external program!
        cool i will try it
        Thanks!

Comment

Cant get it to run
          example
          ConsoleCommand("start file://C:/windows/notepad.exe");
          ?????
          Maybe it has to be in the unreal directory?

Comment

I just tested

ConsoleCommand("start file://C:/progra~1/ut2003/system/test.bat");

and i get this error

Log: Browse: file://C:0/progra~1/ut2003/system/test.bat

anyone know what the 0 is for? why did it put that in there !

Anyone know what the requirments are for this?

segall, do you have a example i can see? is that code you talked about for the public?

Thanks alot!

Update:

i tested
            ConsoleCommand("start file://///SystemName/c$/progra~1/ut2003/system/test.bat");

and that works !

i dotn know why but C:// will change c:0/ what is that?

not clean :-(

Comment

Oh boy..that is nasty! If you can launch exe and bat from within Unreal then that leaves the door open for some nasty devastation to someone who creates a mod just to mess with you!

Could delete files, format hard drive, install ad ware...

Hope epic fixes that.

Comment

Originally posted by NZRoadKill
                Oh boy..that is nasty! If you can launch exe and bat from within Unreal then that leaves the door open for some nasty devastation to someone who creates a mod just to mess with you!

Could delete files, format hard drive, install ad ware...

Hope epic fixes that.
                Nah it's not that serious, I mean how are they gonna get the adware or whatever on the computer in the first place?
                Also I messed with that command from even the Unreal1 game and I'm very sure that you can't use a commandline with it..(so that means most windows app's that could be used maliciously are out of the question)

Quite safe for the most part

Comment

Working...
                X